“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently my wife and I stayed at the Driskill for a couple of nights. We rented a car and for about $30/day, decided to take advantage of the valet parking. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by a friendly staff as we made our way directly to the check in counter. Check in was easy. Our room was very clean, roomy and comfortable. What we appreciated the most was the location of the hotel. It's located right on Sixth St. Overall, it was very enjoyable. I recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Try the Senate rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The room was pretty small for a Texas hotel (think New York sized hotel rooms). That's not much to complain about since there was ample room to work and the bed is super comfortable. I did order room service, which arrived exactly on time each day. The service in the bar was pretty slow, but it was also a pretty popular place with a good sized crowd. The staff was friendly and helpful, but didn't blow me away. I did not deal with any billing issues as the reservation and payment was generally handled by my law firm, so I cannot speak to any management issues as others have. The location was very good for getting around on foot. I would stay here again if presented the opportunity.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I consult trip advisor on a regular basis and feel guilty for not having contributed up to this point..... and even more guilty that it's a negative review that has prompted me to.....
My girlfriend and I stayed at The Driskill on February 19th for a medical conference/meeting I was to attend on the 20th. Everything about the hotel was exceptional right up to the point of check-out.
The meeting I was attending ran several hours late. My girlfriend contacted the front desk and the receptionist was nice enough to give us a grace period of one hour from 12 till 1, but beyond, we would be charged $50 per hour until 3. At that time, we would be charged one full nights charge. All of which we thought was very fair and reasonable.
At approximately 2:40, my girlfriend contacted the front desk and asked that our bags be brought down and that she would wait for me in the lobby so we would not be charged an additional nights stay. She informed the front desk that we had checked out and that I would close out the bill/paperwork when I returned.
I returned from the meeting at approximately 3:30..... The assistant front office manager informed me that I would be charged an additional nights stay of approximately $350.... I informed him that we vacated the room prior to that time and that was a mistake... I told him that I had no issues paying the $100 ($50 per hour from 1 to 3) which we owed for being late, but an additional nights charge was not correct. The assistant front office manager (name unknown) called the office manager, William Binsford, to ask if the charge could be dismissed. He replied that it could not and that he could not speak to me because he "was getting his hair cut"..... seriously....
The assisant said he could reduce that nightly rate to approximately $220 per night... Because I did not want to continue the discussion and was anxious to leave, I reluctantly agreed...
When I got home and checked the charges to my account, The Driskill had actually applied the $350 charge to my account. My bank tried multiple times over a period of a week to contact William Binsford without a return call. He was finally reached after a week and his only response was to refer to the time at which I signed the bill despite the fact we had checked out prior to 3.
It is truly mind-boggling to think that someone with that lack of professionalism and seedy practices could reach a managerial position with a hotel like The Driskill.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am a bit tardy with this review, but my extraordinary experience at the Driskill requires some kudos to the hotel and staff. We had reserved a one-night stay at the Driskill on the way back from San Antonio, just as Hurricane Sandy struck the East Coast, leaving us stranded in Austin. Now, if one is going to be a refugee from a hurricane, Austin is certainly the place to hide out, a fantastic town with great food, music, and charm. Our brief one-night stay turned into an eight day experience. Despite the fact that the hotel was virtually sold out, the staff made sure we had a room each night, ultimately staying in three different rooms during our stay. The entire staff was not only extremely helpful and solicitous of our predicament, but they were charming and helpful to a man and woman. The desk staff diligently ensured that we had a room, the bell staff uncomplainingly made the room moves for us in a painless manner, the concierge procured us tickets for a sold out concert, and helped us book the most difficult restaurant reservations in this food obsessed town. Particular kudos to the valets, who were not only great at directions, but gave great recommendations for music clubs and restaurants as well. Our waiter in the coffee shop negotiated with another table as each of us wanted the last two, amazing, cinnamon rolls, and managed to broker a deal between the tables. The chief pastry chef, a noted culinary talent, hearing about our plight, made sure that we had a complementary plate of their confections with our coffee. The entire staff went far out of their way to ensure our comfort.

The hotel itself is remarkable, an architectural treasure unique to Austin, a great Victorian behemoth with enormous charm. The Driskill reminded me in many respects of the Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville, Spain, which is also a huge Victorian edifice built less for commerce than to highlight the locale (the Driskall's cattle baron builder created it to show off to his friends, the Alfonso was built to house dignitaries for an international exposition), and we had a similar level of solicitous service during a difficult trip. The public rooms are over the top, and the guest rooms range from charming to impressive (I recommend the corner suites which were terrific). I cannot give a more effusive thank you to the Driskall and its staff for shelter from the storm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LH1886, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience, we are so happy to have been able to offer you refuge. I will share your review with our team and hope to host you again soon!
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Be careful! They have a 30 day cancellation policy. We called today 3 days in advance of arrival, just one day after making our reservation and found out we missed the fine print about their 30 day cancellation policy. This is totally out of sync with the travel industry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback, we typically offer a 48 hour cancellation prior to arrival unless it is during a special event or if you buy an advanced purchase rate.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend for a wedding. The staff couldn't have been nicer and more helpful and it is a beautiful historic hotel. However, the rooms are very small and the walls are PAPER THIN. I heard every word my neighbors were saying, every door shutting and toilet flushing. I realize it's because the hotel is very old, but it's very difficult to sleep at night - even with ear plugs. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't stay here again. Kudos to the great hotel staff, though!

Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I would be here ALL DAY trying to describe this hotel, or the time I had!! On a scale of 1 to 10, i give it a 20!! Very lavish, and a lot of history...VERY NICE staff, and soooo worth the money...my old man and I booked the heritage suite for our anniversary, and WE LOVED IT!! i have 100's of pics, but they dont really do this place any justice. I would DEFINITELY RECOMMEND this beautiful hotel. Valet was always courteous about getting our car, and the desk ladies on the night shift allowed me to view 2 additional rooms...Needless to say, WE WILL BE GOING BACK!! Team this up with a visit downtown 6th St. to the MUSEUM OF THE WEIRD, and a DINNER AT EDDIE V'S, and u have the beginning of a magical time!!

Room Tip: The Heritage Suite, The LBJ Suite, and The Cattle Baron's Suite are BEAUTIFUL!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!