“Most Memorable Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Most Memorable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The Driskill is an architectural wonderland, and the minute you walk through the door you become part of its grandeur. And yet, the people who work there are friendly, helpful and down-to-earth. We were made to feel comfortable in every way. (Thank you, Antoinette, you made me feel like a queen.) Everyone was great--the servers at the bar, room service attendants, valets, and a helpful concierge who understands not everyone owns a GPS and printed out directions to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center for me.

We had a tower room on the 10th floor, and it was a good, quiet choice given there were two weddings at the hotel over the busy Memorial Day weekend. Very comfortable beds, bathrobes and nice room layout.

Tips: take advantage of the great amenities this hotel has to offer: have a 'Batini' or "Orange Blossom" at the bar--there is live music there most nights, enjoy the excellent location close to the Capitol and Sixth, eat at their restaurant serving some of the best Southern food you can get anywhere (try the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and pecan pie or banana pudding---go ahead, it's your vacation.) If you are disappointed that there is no coffee-maker in your room, do not be too down. There is free coffee in the lobby in a hutch across from the stairs.

This was one of the most memorable hotel stays I can ever remember. Thank you, Driskill Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk clerk for help if you are unsure. Our tower room was very quiet and had a nice vi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thank you for your kind posting and your business. The Batini was voted the official cocktail of Austin so I'm glad you enjoyed it and the hotel's 1886 Cafe & Bakery right on 6th Street is very popular and a perennial award-winning restaurant as is our highly-acclaimed Driskill Grill. The Driskill Bar was recently renovated wtih expansive seating and features Austin's finest musicians. I hope you'll continue to return to The Driskill when your travels bring you back to the Live Music Capital of the World. Thank you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Reno, NV, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed at the Driskill over Memorial Day and loved everything about the hotel. It a glamorous, sophisticated, beautiful old grand hotel. Great location, wonderful comfortable room, incredible lobby. Great service which was genuine and in no way ingratiating. I love this hotel. The food at the 1886 Cafe and Bakery is also quite good, as is the coffee. If this hotel is in your price range, it is well worth staying here.

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Simply amazing! From the greeting at the valet upon arrival, to the amazing front desk staff, and all the way to the fantastic cocktails Tommy (I think that is his name) made us at the bar...I was very impressed. This was my first visit along with the 8 other friends that joined us. Room service was prompt and was certainly above average. The decor of the hotel is wonderful. The lobby is simply majestic. Walking through the door is like walking through a time portal. The hotel is very traditional, yet meets modern standards and expectations. Thanks to all the staff for an amazing stay. We will most definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your business and your kind words. We're proud of our recently renovated Bar with its expansive seating, new stage for enjoying Austin's finest musicians and of course, our legendary mixology - which garnered one of the Bar's signature drinks - "The Official Cocktail of Austin!". I hope you'll return to The Driskill when your travels bring you back to Austin.
Fort Stockton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Traveling with our dog can be challenging. The Driskill made it easy! Great people, beautiful historic hotel. Both bar and dining rooms excellent!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My husband and I travel quite frequently, and I have to say that the Driskill is absolutely top of the line. There was not 1 bad thing we could say about the hotel or staff or food! Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but the front desk called us when it was and they already had delivered our bags to the room, We were there about 30 minutes and a knock came on the door and it was room service delivering us a huge bowl of fresh delicious fruit. I don't know if this is the norm or if they were congratulating as we were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary. But we really appreciated it. Too much for 2 people though:-))) Plush complimentary robes, plush towels, top of the line amenities......I could go on and on. And when we returned at night, the room was straightened up, the bed pulled back and a real yellow rose was on our pillows. We chose the Cityscape room type and the room was a little on the small side but it reminded us of European size rooms. And the hotel is older so we expected that. Should we have the opportunity to stay in Austin again, we wouldn't choose any other hotel except the Driskill. Thank to you everyone there for making it a special stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Love this place with it's unique and historic charm. Our room was nicely decorated and very comfortable...not overly spacious but perfect for our needs. This hotel is located in downtown Austin right on 6th Street. You can walk to tons of cool restaurants and bars from here. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I recently booked and reserved a recent tripped through this hotel after reading great reviews. I booked in a week in advance in which I received an email saying a confirmation email will be sent shortly through my inbox and not my spam box. After a few days of worrying and nearing the the date I needed a hotel I called the front desk to check if my reservation went through. I gave them my credit card and first and last name. She checked and said I was not in the system or not reserved. I decided to give it time and gave it a few days. I called again a few days later and talked with a different front desk. Again gave them my credit card and name, the person checked again and multiple times. I asked are you sure, she sorry it didn't go through. As it was a days before I needed a hotel, I was forced to book at a later hotel thinking (since I was told) the order never went through.

Surprise surprise three weeks later as I was doing my company card review period it magically popped up with a $320 dollar charge. I guess it went through after all. I called both the reservation department and accountant department to get this resolved, they were far from having an a class customer service. No one answered in their supposed work time where I left voicemails. Finally I was able to talk to one couple days later in which she said sorry you were a no show. I kindly and professionally explain the situation where her own employees told me I was not in the system and I didn't have a room. She explained I should've still came and since I didn't then she'll still charge me the full price for not even coming!!!

I'm with a company and well tell everyone in my company not to use this hotel. Robbed me and I am disputing this charge as I refuse the company to pay for a room I never stayed in. It's as if she gave n excuse for her employees and nickel and dime the customers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for your posting. I apologize that you were charged in error. Please call me directly at 512-391-7058 so we can reverse the erroneous charges.

Been to The Driskill? Share your experiences!