“the extra mile” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 187 Hotels in Austin
mexico
“the extra mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the renaissance hotel for two nights I got a very low rate on one of the discount agencies. normally when I book at those savings Im treated like a second class person, but not here they treated me like I was the best customer they ever had. I have ben in the business for 32 years and wish my staff treated guest like the Renaissance does. Thanks for making my trip so nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind compliments regarding your recent stay. Our ambassadors love to go the extra mile for our guests and I believe that is because they genuinely have the spirit to serve and pridefully love our hotel. I hope to personally meet you upon your return to Austin. Thank you for taking the time to share your review! All the best, Rob G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance Hotel. Our room appeared to have been recently renovated, and contained modern decorum and a plush finish out. The rooms are quite spacious and comfortable, with virtually any amenity of a hotel of its class desired. The lobby was gorgeous, and contained one of my favorite touches (or pet peeves if it lacks one)- a Starbucks coffee kiosk with pastries for a "grab and go". The lobby also has Apple computer terminals - very impressive. The exercise room was adequate, though very stuffy (lacked A/C). The only other thing our room lacked was no towel bar/hook to hang a wet towel. Overall, a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with us! We have recently completed extensive transformation of all of our guest rooms, lobby, grand ballroom, high tech components, landscaping and so on. We want to be Austin's friendliest hotel and a genuine representation of a pure Austin discovery for our guests. It is a hoot being the gm here!
All the best, Rob
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Renaissance Austin is by far one of the best hotels that I have stayed at in Austin. I felt very comfortable in my room and the service was excellent. The hotel is located in the Arboretum which is a very convenient location with lots of shops and restaurants. This hotel will be at the top of my list the next time I visit Austin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing the fabulous feedback on your recent stay with our Renaissance Austin! It is so fun to be the gm here; not only because of our great address and beautiful hotel, but most of all because of our amazing ambassadors. The team loves the city, love our company, and love this property. I hope you feel that as a part of your discovery in Austin and I hope to personally meet you upon your return. All the best, Rob
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I travel regularly on business to Austin an normally stay at the Marriott in Round Rock, but decided to try this Renaissance on my last trip. Was a great choice and I'll definitely stay there again. Rooms are very comfortable and recently renovated. Location in the Arboretum has several great restaurants and easy access/short drive to other areas of the city.
Staff was courteous, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your very nice note about your recent stay at our hotel! I always love to hear from our guests and really enjoy hearing from new guests that have recently discovered our property. We too love our location and its a great deal of fun coming to work in this beautiful setting. We have arguably the largest guest rooms in the city (and all are brand new now) and have been name Top 3 Places to Work in Austin the past two consecutive years. So it is really our ambassadors that make this Austin's friendliest hotel. I hope we can serve you on your next visit to Austin. We really desire to reflect this great city and we are so appreciative of your trust in us to be your Austin Hotel choice. Thank you again. All the best, Rob G
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Exorbitant room costs, and non existent customer service except for valet parking and men holding doors open for you.

Dare not forget anything in your room when you check out because it will immediately vanish the same day.

There is no free wireless Internet here and is charged at $ 22.50 per day and is not disclosed until checkout.

• Stayed April 2013
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very sorry that you obviously did not experience the level of customer service that we are known for. I would love to visit with you about specific areas to enable me to share with my time in an effort to achieve excellence. We typically receive rave reviews on our properties attentive and friendly service so I feel bad that you did not experience that. I happy to visit with you over the telephone if your schedule permits, and love to invite you back. Thank you! Rob G
Fort Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went to Austin a couple of days early for a convention and I was looking forward to a nice hotel. What a disappointment! We stay elsewhere for the first two days then checked in at the Renaissance on Sunday about 4 pm. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds and at 4 pm they did not have any rooms of this type clean. After waiting in the lobby for about 15 minutes they called on our cell phone to let us know they had upgraded us to a suite and it was available.

When we arrived in the suite it was warm and stuffy and despite the "individually" controlled air it never got much better. Upon inspection of the room I found that it was not clean at all. There was a fruit stem of some sort on the night stand, hairs on the desk, trash left under the edge of the bed and the mirror on the bathroom door was absolutely filthy. We immediately called the front desk and they sent up a supervisor to clean the room. The supervisor was very nice and went about cleaning the suite and later returned with chocolates and water.

I don't think the supervisor attempted to clean the door mirror. She said it was clean, but just looked bad. After a closer look I could see hair spray on the mirror. I took a damp towel and cleaned the mirror myself and it was nasty, it didn't just look bad.

After a long, hot night in a hard, uncomfortable bed we called the front desk to report that the air conditioning was not working. We turned it down to 65 degrees the night before and should have been shivering. Maintenance come and turned the ac down to 59 degrees which didn't fix the problem at all. The room never cooled off much and was barely comfortable for sitting and not comfortable enough for sleeping.

I was somewhat shocked at the furniture in the Renaissance suite. Although it was supposed to be "modern" it just looked cheap to me. The nightstand between the bed was more of a bookcase. The mural in the bathroom was just weird, a black and white picture of a shower, I think. I was not at all impressed. On the plus side the TV was great, but I didn't spend much time watching it. In case you think I'm just a hick, I've stayed a many nice resorts and hotels, this one just doesn't measure up.

I woke up both mornings feeling like I was sleeping on a dining room table and couldn't wait to leave.

Parking is a nightmare so be prepared to hike or use the valet service. If you're lucky you may get close in parking, but don't count on it.

The previous two nights we stayed at the Sleep Inn in N. Austin. Sleep Inn N Austin has the Renaissance beat hands down. Sleep Inn bed - wonderful and good linens, Sleep Inn cleanliness, spotless, Sleep Inn air - they encourage you to turn it down and it works great. Sleep Inn furniture, nice. Sleep Inn also has microwaves and free breakfast. No microwaves at the Renaissance. Sleep Inn customer service - excellent, Renaissance, haughty. Price wise - Sleep Inn is less than half the price of the Renaissance. Renaissance lobby, beautiful and pricey looking, Sleep Inn, beautiful and modestly priced. Internet access - free (and good) at Sleep Inn, $12.95 noon to noon at Renaissance. Parking at Sleep Inn, close. Renaissance beats Sleep Inn on towels, but that doesn't count for much in my book.

The front desk gave us a $40 credit for drinks at the bar. That was nice, but it didn't take away from the fact that the room was dirty, hot and uncomfortable. For the price they charge I expected much, much more.

If I'm paying for it I won't go back to the Renaissance. If my company is paying I might just ask them to register me at the Sleep Inn, I'll drive to the Renaissance thank you.

Aledo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have just checked out of this hotel that I have stayed at many many times. They have completely redone the suites in this hotel. It's simply beautiful and amazing. I am platinum with Marriott, so I was lucky enough to receive an upgrade. This hotel is going through a renovation process, but it's hardly noticeable, the location is amazing and so easy to get around Austin and surrounding areas because of easy access to major highways:)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your nice compliments about your recent stay in April! I am delighted that you were so pleased with your suite and experienced some of Austins greatest ambassadors. We really do want to be Austin's friendliest and most comfortable hotel. I want to also say Thank you for your loyalty as a Platinum member to Marriott. We have so many loyal guests that stay with us. I hope to personally welcome you back to our property the next time you visit. I heard some recently say to me, "I have no immediate plans to be in Austin, but I'm always looking for an excuse." Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! Best, Rob G

Been to Renaissance Austin Hotel? Share your experiences!