“Good hotel, very over-priced for Formula1” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #60 of 185 Hotels in Austin
Toronto
“Good hotel, very over-priced for Formula1”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is large, modern and very nice. The staff is very polite and hard working. I've stayed here a few times and have always liked it.

I was part of a business event for the Formula1 this weekend......normally the hotel is $100-200 a night. It was $440 and you had to stay a min. of 4 nights. I think they really went over board here and gauged clients badly. In fact, the pricing and term was just embarrassing for them - staff even looked sheepish about it.

I did like the Internet policy of 1 payment and you can connect up to 5 devices.

I would also comment they they have small but very nice gym.

Room Tip: They have some very good rates if you are staying under preferred business rates.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is dated, but i am told by the front desk staff that a major refressh is slated for October-November 2012. If and when this is done this property will be much better. Even witht he dated motif and scene the hotel is situated in the middle of Austin convenient to everything. the Arboretum are is flush with eating opportunites. Within walking distance is Cheesecake factory and PF Chang's. Breakfast options include Corner bakery. the front door bellhops were courtesy and helpful. Ample parking around the building. Safe area. Target and convenience store in walking distance for supplies for those extended stays. Check in was a breeze with the friendly staff. Open and expansive with resturant in hotel along with bar.

Room Tip: Far side for the impressive views of the West hills of Austin
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Elanora, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've stayed here twice in the past 12 months. The rooms are fine - both in terms of size and comfort, the reception and general areas are pleasant and its easy to pass some time outside of event hours.

Directly outside the hotel there is a great diner for breakfast, plus it's only a few minutes drive to Chuy's for a great feed.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lifts / elevators as they can be noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

It's very misleading for me to give this hotel a 3 star rating because, while there are some things about this hotel that are average (and I'll probably hit those up front) the vast majority of them are either very very good, or simply spectacularly bad. To use academic parlance, the "C" grade in this hotel's case is more an average of As and Fs more than a lot of Cs.

Physical appearance. The common spaces (except the elevators) are elegant and well maintained. The rooms are substantially more dated. Other reviewers have noted the pink tiles from the 1970s in the bathrooms so I'll simply echo those here (though to me the larger issue is the fact that there are bathtubs at all; when are these hotels going to realize that no one has used these four foot long, eighteen inch wide tubs to take a bath since 1973?! Replace the darn things with walk in showers already). The beds are firm and acceptable, but the pillows are tiny and old and need replacing. Other Renaissance properties (e.g. downtown Miami) have taken rooms of similar size and completely redesigned them with much larger bathrooms and smaller bedroom areas with much more modern furniture, lighting etc. This property is in dire need of such an upgrade.

Staff. Nowhere in my experience was the "either an A+ or a total F" feeling more appropriate than when it came to the staff. On the plus side, the front desk staff was very polite, attentive, quick to follow up and just generally excellent at demonstrating that they'd been well trained in offering a better customer experience (these folks really are just one small step short of Ritz Carlton in quality). Similarly, the housekeeping staff was excellent. Conversely, the maintenance and food service staffs should almost universally be let go and replaced. If I were made the hotel manager tomorrow, my very first act would be to fire the maintenance manager. One of the "epic fails" during my stay had to do with the climate controls in the room (which I notice now other reviewers have complained about). This hotel in general is *freezing* cold (which was incidentally the number one complaint of attendees of our conference there). At this point in my career, I'm frankly used to these conference center hotels being kept, all year round, cold enough to hang meat in, but most at least have the ability to warm your room. When I could not get warm air from the vent system, the front desk sent a maintenance engineer to my room, who informed me that the heating coils were very small and that there was nothing he could really do. And then he said, "this is really a summer hotel." So basically, if it's 110 outside and you need a hotel that excels at cold, this may be your place ... if it's winter, don't stay here unless you want to sleep in your winter coat (and bring your winter coat!).

The food services for the conference was yet another "A or F" situation. The breakfasts offered by the hotel were beyond pathetic (think worse than a Holiday Inn Express). Conversely the lunches were quite good, and the one person I would NEVER fire here is their dessert chef (decidedly not low fat offerings, but very very good). But the food service staff was dismissive, rude and truly inconvenienced by having to serve our group (for example, when I was asked if I would care for coffe and I said, "yes, decaf please" the staff person actually rolled her eyes at me before going to get me a pot with decaf).

Internet and entertainment. The Internet was *highly* problematic for our conference, but again, was either an A or an F. In our rooms and in the conference areas in the main hotel, it was generally fine, in the building next door, despite having full signal, the speed was either horriffic or non-existent. Internet was included in our room fee for our conference, and it's a good thing it was because if I had paid for this service I would have either had to run to run back to my room every half hour or been demanding my money back. The TV options were also a mix. On the one hand, we had the benefit of channels like NHK and the NFL Network, but no Comedy Central or Bloomberg.

Fitness. Here is the other truly "epic fail" of my stay. I'm a swimmer and, due to back surgery, it's my primary means of working out. I choose hotels based in part on the ability to swim laps. This hotel has an indoor pool that's 45 feet long (15 yards, so a 30 yard lap, basically a 60 lap mile ... not great but not awful). The problem was stepping into the pool and finding it freezing cold. When I asked the maintenance man (who had just walked in) to check the temperature, he reported that it was 74 degrees, colder than pools are kept for *Olympic* competition, much less for normal business travelers wanting to swim lap. When I complained to the front desk, they said it was hotel policy to keep the pool at 78 (which is frankly still too cold for most recreational swimmers but I could manage it) and that she would look into it. Not sure how many days that took, but three days later it was between 75 and 76. The bottom line point here was that before I mentioned the problem it was clear by observation that no one as either checking or cared (BTW, the outdoor pool is half the size and totally unusable for exercise). The fitness center is OK but indequate in size (three treadmills, one of which was broken, two bikes, some weight equipment ... nice room but too small for the dozen or so people standing around waiting to work out on a couple of the mornings between 6:30am and 8).

Bottom line; if I had paid about 1/3 less than I did for my room, I wouldn't be as disappointed ... but even at our conference rate I felt like it wasn't a particularly good value overall ... and our rate was evidently $100/night LESS than the normal rate (which apparently starts at $250 ... and at that rate, I would have checked out after one night ... though again, in fairness, in looking around this area, ALL the properties in this area are wildly overpriced for what they deliver). Unfortunately, unless I came back here to TripAdvisor and found that the climate control in the rooms was fixed, that the pool temperature was being regularly kept at about 80-82, that the fitness center was expanded and maintenanced, and that the entire maintenance and food service staffs had been overhauled, I probably would not stay here again and, as a member of our organization's Board, I would vote against returning to this location when we come back to Austin in two more years.

Room Tip: Evidently the rooms on the "front" (check in) side are a bit warmer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was a recent convention attendee at this Austin, TX property. Really no complaints. The staff was friendly and attentive and when I had a couple of minor room issues (clogged drain and a dead hairdryer) they were on both within minutes. Room furnishing were "comfortably worn," but not so much to be a turn-off. Incidentally, my room size was perhaps 100' square feet larger than the typical hotel room. I never had to wait for more than about 30 seconds on an elevator and although my room faced the open atrium, I never hear outside noise with my room door closed. Convention food was perhaps a tad better than most and after eating & drinking too much the downstairs fitness center was a pleasant break with an indoor pool and (for a hotel) a better than normal outfitted gym. At the end of the day, would I stay here again? Yes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Edinburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My small family (3) stayed at this hotel for a conference my wife had there. The rooms are fairly large. Hotel grounds and location are excellent for anyone "stuck" while a significant other is in meetings. Bakery/snack area in lobby is affordable and convenient. Hotel is attached to the Arboretum shopping center (with several dining options) and has a nice little pond with ducks and geese in a mini-nature trail. Good for a curious 4 year old - gives him something to do other than watch TV!

I still have issues with hotels charging for services that should be free (internet, use of business center), but they also have complimentary self-parking (just be careful not to park under a large tree - lots of birds will leave "presents" for you if you do!)

I heard staff talking about a complete renovation coming soon. That should take care of the dated feel that the hotel has. Overall, very nice staff, spacious rooms, great location - I would return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator, otherwise, you'll have quite a hike to your room, since there...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here five nights for a conference. The hotel personel was very nice and helpful. The rooms are large and clean, the bathroom is slightly outdated but still very clean.

The food that they served during breakfast and lunch was of very good quality. There are quite a lot of good quality restaurants within walking distance for dinner if you like.

The only drawback was that I had a connecting room, which always is a bit more noisy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Austin Hotel? Share your experiences!