“Well maintained - even after all these years” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #61 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Baton Rouge, LA
“Well maintained - even after all these years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Started going here when working in austin in the late 90's. Hotel still looks as good as it did then.

Very nice marble in lobby. Beautiful atrium. Indoor and outdoor pool. Whirlpool. Nice workout room with treadmills with TV.

Basically attached to mall with all sorts of eating options. Everything from fast food (5 guys) to mid-range (Cheesecake bistro), Lots of high end shopping, Across the street from Saks, PF changs, and theater.

If you're working along 183, it's the best place to stay. Probably not as happening as downtown, but a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms overlooking the atrium. Nice view but easy to see in from the halls overlooking the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

i recently stayed at the renaissance hotel austin for a business meeting. it was very disappointing. the overall condition of the common areas of the hotel is okay, but not great. my room was, frankly, disgusting. no matter what temperature i set the air conditioner to, it remained humid in the room. someone had smoked in the room previously and it was incredibly smelly, made worse by the humidity. the bathroom was mismatched and not as clean as it should be for a 4 star hotel. the sheets were polyester and quite uncomfortable. the mattress was hard and flat. i came home with a horrible neck ache from the pillows (which were stained in addition to uncomfortable). the carpet was horribly stained, dirty and coming up in the corners. the rio grande exhibit hall, where much of our meeting took place, was dirty and also very very humid. it also had the smell of jet fuel. i and many others were constantly coughing. as for the location, it is 25 minutes out of downtown and in the middle of nowhere. i would not, under any circumstances, recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. there is nothing to do within walking distance and the majority of the restaurants are chains.

Room Tip: do not choose a room in the internal courtyard. very very loud.
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed for four nights while attending a conference; very clean, staff was very helpful. Comfortable beds and pillows. Gym was adequate; indoor and outdoor pools looked nice but I didn't use them. As in a lot of these places, they had the air conditioning turned down very low (maybe because of the 100 degree heat spell in Texas this summer), but I found myself almost shivering a few times in the common areas because it was so cold.

The hotel was a way from the city center, but easy to get there by rental car. LOTS of stores nearby the hotel if you need any items you didn't want to pack.

The normally charge $12.95 a day for internet service (we got it for free as part of the conference). In a large hotel like this, they should offer free wireless service.

One rather negative - there must be something wrong with their water system because the tap water tasted like mold! (Ever bite into a bowl of blueberries and there was one moldy on in there? That's what the water tasted like.) The water tasted this way from the bar taps and also the tap in our room - others in our group said the same thing. We said something to the waitress in the bar, but she just shrugged it off. I tasted water from a restaurant down on 6th Street and it did not have this moldy taste. So, we bought bottled water and that's all we drank while staying in the hotel. Someone should look into that moldy taste because it was awful!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at the Renaissance in Austin. It was our anniversary that weekend and the staff helped to make it a pleasant one.
We ate Banderas the first night and even though they're going through some reservation they still opened it up to my husband and I. Not sure if the information desk personel is having miscommunication with the restaurant, but they told us at first that we could not eat there. However we did, and the waiter was extremely kind and gave us discounts for having served the military.
Because my husband was there for busness we did not get to experience the hotels amenities to the fullest, but I can tell you that the lobby area was superb. I loved going down to study near the fish tank and sit out on the balcony. The cafe area is neat as well, despite the rude (tall heavy blonde) lady that served me my bland chai latte. I hope she was just having a bad morning.
The only real semi negative thing I can say about the hotel is that the carpets need better maintaining and the toilets and sinks need an upgrade.
I would definitely stay again and I enjoyed the shopping area as well.

• Stayed September 2011
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a great place to stay. very close to teh arboretum and other places of interest such as dining and shopping experience.

Room Tip: higher floors better
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I stayed here from September 16-18, at the time the ACL Music Festival was occurring. As indicated by other reviewers, the rooms were large, clean and updated. Overall, very nice. Beds were very comfortable. If you exercise regularly, this is a GREAT hotel. The gym/indoor pool area is one of the best I've seen for a non-resort property. The gym is equipped with machines and freeweights, as well as softer equipment such as: yoga mats, foam rollers, and variety of exercise balls. Just outside the workout facility is a dry sauna and jacuzzi tub. The hotel provides some nice amenities, including: nice fluffy towels, headphones and abundant cold water. (In particular, I liked the lemon/citrus infused water.) For cardio, the gym has 3 eliptical machines and 3 treadmills for indoor cardio. However, if you like to run on the street, the area around the hotel is also nice (if you can stand the heat of Texas!). Austin has nice sidewalks on all its roads, and permits safe, level running in all directions. I found some great on-line running routes through nearby neighborhoods.

There is a nice, albeit small outdoor pool. The pool is clean and relaxing. If there is a downside to the pool, it has to be the outdoor music audible from the hotel. Also, a few of the lounge chairs are showing some wear.

The hotel is unusual insofar that it is arranged in a rectangle with a HUGE atrium. While the rooms are arranged around the atrium, it was never noisy (at least on the 8th floor). The downside of this arrangement is the somewhat circuitous path to a room from the distant elevator. When meetings or conventions are being held at the hotel, the atrium is abuzz. However, it seems strangely empty without meetings. The hotel has a nice bar/restaurant, with great service. I enjoyed a burger and Texas craft beer. Both were excellent and reasonably priced

If you are visiting Austin, you will need a car to stay at this hotel and travel to other locations around the city. While the hotel offers valet parking, I recommend that you park yourself. The hotel has both surface lot parking (immediately in front of the hotel) and a nearby garage. It is not hard to walk 100 feet to park (assuming there is not a big meeting at the hotel).

The hotel is situated in the Arboretum shopping area, which includes several restaurants and high-end stores. There is a Cheesecake Factory nearby for late-night snacks. A large, popular Starbucks is located across the street from the hotel.
Note to management: I HATED paying $13/day for in-room wireless internet access. This was an additional 10% to the cost of the room.

While I will consider other locations in Austin (depending on my location or business needs), I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE, including families with children.

Room Tip: I suspect that higher floors are impacted less by atrium noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have been to Austin so many times, but rarely have a chance to stay in the Arboretum area. We were really looking forward to staying at the Renaissance hotel while celebrating a special occasion for my husband. The staff was wonderful, the lobby is quite nice, and the location is peaceful. However, the room was simply beyond filthy, and the furniture literally was torn so that the inner foam was showing through in several places. I couldn't hardly stand to allow our children to walk on the floors, which turned the bottoms of their socks black by the time we left. We tried to use the pool and spa, and they were quite disgusting as well. We noticed extremely large hairballs in the indoor pool which we alerted staff to, and then we tried the hot tub only for a few moments realizing that it had a thick film of some sort that stayed on us as we got out. There were girls bikini tops, sunglasses and other items scattered around, which had obviously been left from the night before (we were at the pool area early in the morning). They had offered us a late check out knowing we were celebrating. The staff was so kind, we didn't even have the heart to tell them how we couldn't wait to leave. I can't remember a time when we left a hotel so early. I want so much to recommend this hotel, but sadly I cannot. There are many fine Marriott hotels in the Austin area. If you are a Marriott member, I would suggest choosing a location other than this one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance Austin Hotel? Share your experiences!