“Great place to stay...feels like home.” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #34 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Orleans
“Great place to stay...feels like home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

These people were so nice. The hotel is clean and comfortable. It was the best night's sleep I have had in weeks. These beds are so comfortable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Pearland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I traveled here this last weekend during the big Lance Armstrong event. We were attending a wedding downtown and were trying to get a place downtown but the prices were nuts. So I started to bidding up north and got this hotel for $80 bucks which was nice. The rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel was only 10 mins from downtown which was awesome as well. The only complaint is that it took forever to get hot water in the shower. I had to let it run for what it seemed like forever to get the water a little warm.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

The staff here seemed to always go one step further to make our stay a good one. We were given a lovely room at the back of the hotel where it was quiet. The staff recommended a great place to go for dinner for the first night. Then the following night when things were quiet one of them spent about 30 minutes talking with me regarding general information about living in Austin. A city wide blackout when we were leaving early in the morning had us packing in the dark then walking down 7 flights of stairs! Thanks so much to the staff member who arrived to carry my suitcase down 5 flights and then disappear without a tip. Awesome!
The maintenance issues: Our TV remote didn't work. Maintenance staff came up promptly to check and offered us a room change, or to swap the TV out the next day. We asked them to swap the TV out but it never happened. The gym is good but the equipment is poorly serviced, with one of the 3 treadmills out of action and the belt slipping on the other two. The cycle seat wouldn't adjust properly. The TVs weren't working in the sports bar.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

So, having read the negative reviews (after I made my reservations) I contacted the hotel manager to convey my concern about the bed bug issue. He was very kind, very polite and quite reassuring that there is not and never has been a bed bug problem at his hotel and gave me his word. Am I glad I talked with him and kept my reservation. If you need a hotel in this Central Austin location you cannot go wrong. My room was extremely clean and comfortable. The entire staff was welcoming and kind...just like I've heard folks from Austin are. I had breakfasts and dinners in the lounge, watched the Jets/Steelers game in the bar and everyone was friendly and the food and drinks were spot on.

For my money, and peace of mind, this will always be my hotel of choice when traveling to Austin for business. It exceeded my expectations. Thank you to Randy (he was also nice enough to find me and introduce himself) and the entire staff of the Crowne Plaza Austin. A special thanks to Wanda & Louis as well - they treated my like family. You cannot go wrong staying here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Clarkston, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I travel a lot and I'm as picky as anyone, but the negative reviews for this hotel just aren't warranted. Now granted, I did get a $46 rate from Priceline here, but when you use it you can't pick your exact location and after reading the horrible reviews of this place was expecting a bumpy ride for my four night stay. Not so.

The place was clean, ample towels, fridge, mini coffee maker - albeit not an updated room, but lots of pillows and comfy, wireless worked fine. Lobby was nice and front desk staff was very helpful. I agree that the rooms could use a microwave and better TVs, but I am rarely looking for the best TVs when I visit a hotel. Lobby was nice, bar was like most hotels fairly dead but again, if you're rating the crowd at a hotel bar in a town that has hundreds - that's your problem. Didn't try the restaurant either (because I was in Austin!). Hey, they even had attractive chambermaids who were very sweet and helpful. Go figure.

Location is a bit hard to get to amidst the the interchange and celebrated Texas access roads and all, but once you figure it out, it's very conveniently located. Not the greatest area of Austin, but accessible to just about everywhere in town. Had meetings near the Capitol and it only took me 8 mins to get there. Plus you have the advantage of my fave restaurant, Papadeaux's right next door, which for me was a plus.

I always wonder how the negative reviews for very capable hotels come from, and I'm assuming it's either planted by competition or by whiny people who just like to complain. This hotel was a good deal even at it's normal rate. No complaints here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Las Cruces, NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I like and stay in Crowne Plazas all the time and all of them have been great, well-maintained, up-to-date decor and superior amenities. Good food too. This one is a glaring exception. Shabby, cheap furniture, dated uninspired decor, an internet that would not stay connected. Older, non-flat screen TVs. There is a fridge but no microwave. The sheets were not very well pressed and the towels are dingy and are not plush at all.

The hotel staff is pleasant enough but the hotel is at the intersection of two very busy highway overpasses and is difficult to get to. On the good side there are several above average restaurants within walking distance

The web site I booked this on said it was a 3.5-star property. I might give it 2.5 but am not entirely sure. I am beginning to realize that H-wire always inflates its star ratings

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
crowneplazaaustin, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Thank you for staying at our hotel, we will be updating our rooms with new flat screen TV's in 2011
Stephenville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Was booked here for a conference. Had to say I was about worried after reading previous reviews, but after staying three nights, with 20 other people who each had a room I can't find a whole lot to complain about.

No one in our group reported any problems with bed bugs or any other major issues. The internet service in my room was great, the staff was good, my room was clean and comfortable. The bedding was just great, haven't slept as good in a hotel room in a long time.

Here are some quirky observations: The rooms had the old style chains on them as opposed to the bar you flip over. Can't recall last time I saw that on a door. The bathroom was recently remodled with granite countertops and tile. It had a new dual flush toilet, wich honestly didn't flush anything well, and yes its a small bathroom. The TV was a CRT and the cabinet was missing a door. The heat AC unit had a digital thermostat over it which apparently didn't control the unit. The unit was noisy and was either too hot or too cold.

The hotel has a very nice, very friendly bar. However it was dead each night we went in there. Maybe saw five other people in there. Not sure what the issue was. (We went to Pappaduex next door.) We had the breakfast buffett all three days we were there. Day one, great, day 2 awful, day 3 great. Not sure what was happening on day 2 but everyone complained.

The workout room had a brand new multistage wieght lifting machine with lots of free weights, mats, etc. One of the treadmills didn't work and the bicycle felt like it was about to go while I was on it.

On the whole though we had a very good experience. No major problems, would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
crowneplazaaustin, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Thank you choosing our hotel, we are pleased you enjoyed your experience!

We look forward to seeing you again!

Eric R Willems
Reservations Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Austin? Share your experiences!