“Good, not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Dallas
“Good, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

This is a hotel that is given a 3 and a half star rating on various websites, but it lacks the attention to guest service that generally characterize nice hotels. There is a lack of attention to details on the part of the staff, I think. They are friendly, but the staff doesn't seem to aim to make your stay anything other than okay.

We arrived to a full lobby with tables in front almost blocking the entrance with some sort of sign up for children's sporting events. The lobby needs an updated look - it is very dated. It is not inviting. There was a broken lampshade on one of the lamps, and there were plastic plant holders sticking out of of the plant urns. The pool was okay, but the cabana where the towels were stored had no attendant and it was pretty dirty - lots of maintenence stuff sitting around there, etc. The tables and loungers needed to be cleaned - everything looked like it needed some attention. Nothing was terribly clean.

We called twice because trays from breakfast were left in our hallway all day, and some wine glasses from the night before as well. Again - just a lack of really good service. It's okay - it just doesn't seem to aim for doing a great job.

The rooms are very nice. They have obviously been re-done, and they are what makes this hotel qualify for a three and a half star rating. The beds are nice, the bathrooms nicely appointed. If I had to stay there again, I would not be disappointed because of the rooms. I would just go knowing that the overall experience would be less than exemplary.

• Liked — Very nice hotel room.
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to guest service.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

This is another hotel that I think has either received undo criticism or has greatly improved. My family was extremely pleased with this hotel. The staff was super friendly! Although I had no complaints, all my requests were taken care of very promptly. The cookies upon arrival are wonderful. There is a lot of parking lot resurfacing going on and some other construction throughout the hotel that cause minor annoyances, but they have to keep the place up to date, or we would be complaining that it needed to be renovated. :) The room was very comfortable. In response to earlier reviews: no fixtures hanging from the walls, the room is very clean, I do consider it a hotel, all rooms are on interior hallways (maybe this is a new renovation???), and the staff is very friendly! I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

I have been staying there for 2 weeks. I am a PC member. This hotel is OK, although they have some major problems.
1) In the room I was given at check-in, the phone plug was detached from the wall, and lots of cement dust particles were spilled all around .. not really great. I was then given another room (a suite actually) .. the problem there was that the room was facing the highway and was not really intimate for a single person. I was finally given a third room (on the 7th floor, supposedly exclusive), which was nice and quiet. Note that all rooms are similar, only the floor is higher. That room was clean, or so I thought, until I opened the fridge which had not been cleaned from the previous guest: it was filled with lime and tacos ... how nice ! I was tired that evening, so I just left a note to the housekeeping staff and the fridge was cleaned the next day.

2) For 6 days, I got the newspaper, then nothing more ... I called the front desk, and they said they would make sure I get one the next day ... but that didn't come until a few days later.

3) The housekeeping was unequal ... one day, they replaced my shampoo with a moisturizing lotion ...

4) I was once charged for a breakfast which I did not have ... so, beware !

On the pro side, the room is nice, and the breaksfat is good. You could see that the rooms were renovated, yet it seems that guests just don't care ... the situation is OK, but downtown Austin is much better (though much more expensive).

• Liked — nice room, goog breakfast
  • Disliked — being charged for a breakfast I did not have + fridge not clean at check-in
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Antonio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

I am a PC Gold member.
Made my reservations with "jody" in July, after 7 attempts. Arrived at 12:45PM on Sept 3...my room was not ready. "Christopher" at the front desk apologized. Excuse me....PC Gold members gtd room readiness first...upgrade to suite...letter....Drink coupon. What did I get? "I'm sorry, but housekeeping is cleaning the room." Hey...Mr owner of crowne plaza austin! Had no one checked out of the hotel since 6 AM?!? This was and will be my final visit to this hotel! I am going to go next door to the Doubletree. Even their cookies are better! Im so mad that I don't want to say any insults because if I do, then no one will read this review! BTW, I tried to leave msgs for the general manager, randy (his voice mail made him sound like a 25 year old), but no reply!

• Liked — Being able to leave without someone from the hotel overcharging my credit card!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — complain at the time of the incident...most hotels will bend over backwards to make sure they don't get bad reviews
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Corpus Christi, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

I was very pleased with what we received for what we paid. The gentleman, Christopher, at the counter was very helpful. We did run into a flaw of not having a room with a frig and micro, but he rectified it immediately. He told me when remodeling is complete they will all have these items. The room was clean. The pool was large and the kids loved it. My husband was thrilled with the fact that an affordable motel had a fitness center. I spent a majority of time on the computer in the complimentary business center, set up in the lobby. I was able to continue to book and plan the rest of our road trip through the use of their computer. There was no additional charge for printing off the web pages. This was helpful. I would only ask them to change two things. First, you access everything from the outside, so they should not refer to themselves as a hotel, but rather a motel. Second, they should offer at least some type of complimentary breakfast, cookies, or something. Most hotels do in Austin and if they took the time to clean up the physical facility and their image, since it switched owners, it would be a final touch. Further more, I feel their extras at the price offered, put them above the other motels in their class. This should be incentive enough for budgeted travelers looking for a little more for their money. They should not trick the public by saying things like, "hotel". That only sets some travelers up for disappointment. The same theory goes along with the breakfast, you offer so much in extras, that the first time traveler would expect "something" in the way of food hospitality. I hope to revisit this hotel with my family, at which time I will update my review. Thank you for reading and please be an active part in helping travelers identify truly good secrets like this renovated motel/hotel, and avoid bad ones. Oh! one last tip, if you go with kids, look up Austin's Pizza Park. It is usually $24.95 but on Tuesdays and Fridays, I think it is $12.95 unlimited pizza, laser tag, video games, rock climbing, go carts, mini golf, bumper boats, my kids 4 to 12 loved it!!!!

• Liked — extras for the price paid,it has a fitness room, pool, and computer center.
  • Disliked — no types of breakfast or other complimentary food/bev.
  • Tips/Secrets — tell them they advertise a fridge & micro as included at no charge.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
san antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

I attend quite alot of meeting functions throughout the year and I decided to give this hotel a try. From the outside it really did not look too exxiting but the experience I received once I went inside was wonderful. I am a Priority Club member and at this hotel they truly go out of there way to make you comfortable. You can tell that some of the work is not completed but not really an issue. The hotel was very clean and the staff were the friendliest that I have seen in a very long time. I cannot remember the last time that I ever wrote a complimentary letter for a hotel but this one really deserves this rating. I made an effort to discuss this with the General Manager as I was leaving. The rooms were the best part of this hotel so I high recommend this to all travelers.

Bill
San Antonio

• Liked — new rooms
  • Disliked — not completed
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

This has got to be one of the most pathetic excuses for a hotel I've ever seen. A broken glass in the hallway wasn't cleaned even after several complaints. The sheets were filty...including hair AND fresh blood (this is no exaggeration). Absolutely unbelievable. No washcloths. Bathroom door "wood" was peeling and warped so badly you couldn't even shut the door. I wouldn't stay here again if the room was free.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Crowne Plaza Austin? Share your experiences!