“Patience is key at this hotel of poor service...” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Austin
A TripAdvisor Member
“Patience is key at this hotel of poor service...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2005

I recently visited Austin and was reccomened this hotel due to its location and easy access to my weekends destinations. Any reasonable traveler knows what to expect from hotels and thus knows how to handle normal hotel problems. The main problem at the Red Lion is that Customer Service is very inconsistent and sometimes nonexistant. The first strange thing I encounterd is I interrupted the clerks at the counter talking to each other on how the hotel was changing names...continuing to talk to each other as I stood there.... and not really paying attention to me. I know this happens at any customer service counter so I kind of went along with it and got the basic amount of attention needed. The rooms are only acceptable but an impending rennovation with example at the desk signals future improvment. But, after 20 calls with no answer to Room service I had to call the front desk only to be told that the "understaffed" restaurant rarely answers the calls and they often "roll up here." I was told of the great seafood at a neighboring restaurant that was in walking distance. Okay, I guess I will take my money somewhere else.
The same type of delays were evident when I called for a working iron...the houskeeper in the hallway could not communicate with me but she did tell a supervisor and an extra set of towels were delivered to me instead. I called the desk again where a female then told me that she was the only one on duty (due to her manager "driving somewhere without telling her" and her replacement staff late for work) and that she would do her best to radio in my request as soon as possible. Okay, now I go downstairs to expedite things myself. The desk clerk was indeed alone and having to check in people, run to the phone box to answer incoming calls and then a loud and annoying house radio kept going off every few minutes. There were 3 people in front of me and it took me 39 minutes to ask for the iron instead of towels. I ased for a manager only to be told that he was still "out." NO other manager was made available...I guess they were all "out."
This is the problem with hotels today, trying to make a buck with no little staff and bad service. I dont care what this hotel turns into or how renovated it gets. It is clear that an uncaring and untrained hotel management staff runs this place poorly to maximize profit or out of pure laziness. The decent interior does make up for the inferior service. The employees as a whole were basic in their customer service skills (the bar was a bright spot) and some showed pure displeasure with the working enviroment. This place needs some serious help from somewhere and must be run by a management staff that convenience stores turned down. Stay away if you are short on patience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

In all of my traveling, and I travel quite frequently, I have never had a worse stay in a hotel. When I found out I was going to be staying at the Red Lion on business, a feeling of nostalgia came across me, for fond memories of staying at the hotel for various state UIL competitions during my early 1990s high school years raced through my mind. Apparently, nothing has changed since I was here more than a decade ago! When I entered my room, a blanket of depression completely enveloped me. This place is in dire need of renovations. It had more outdated furniture and bedding than a thrift store. The lobby can be truly deceiving, for when I first entered the hotel, I had no inclination of dissatisfaction; however, the rest of the hotel was another story. For those reviewers who indicated it was a "great hotel" or they would "stay again", I'm wondering about their usual accommodations. Friendly staff is only one facet in the definition of a "great hotel", and that is not enough for me. I stay at a hotel for the living accommodations, not to interact with the staff members. I will see my room more often than I will see staff members, and, though it was clean, a room that looks like something from the original set of "Good Times" or "The Brady Bunch" is not indicative of a pleasant stay. If you have options in choosing a hotel when visiting Austin, then by all means, take them.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2005

Just a word of warning. Do not book this hotel through Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, or any other discounted internet agencies during Hurricane season if you plan on keeping your reservation. During the Hurricane Rita evacuation, the hotel cancelled reservations made through these websites and we were contacted the day before we were to fly out there. The hotel did not contact us, offer to relocate us or anything. We got a phone message from priceline that our reservations were not being honored due to the need for rooms for evacuees (understandable). The disturbing thing is that I'm sure the evacuuees were paying more for the rooms than we would have through priceline and that was the motivating factor behind their decision to cancel any rooms booked at a discount price...in my eyes that is price gouging. They did not cancel reservations that were made directly through the hotel, so you'd be safe that way, but we will never stay there and were not satisfied with the limited experience we had with them.

Stayed September 2005
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

Had a great stay at the Red Lion! The hotel is clean, spacious, and comfortable. The price was very reasonable considering how much the
other hotels in Austin charge. Our room was very clean and the staff
was super friendly and went out of their way on more than one occasion
for us.

I really loved the bar/lounge area. Very big and comfortable! The
bartender mixed some excellent drinks and the food was pretty good.

Will definitely stay here again! Was only a few minutes away from the
downtown area.

• Stayed September 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

I recently stayed at the Red Lion in Austin on July 7-10. The service was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Rooms were very clean and the atmosphere was nice. I would recommend anyone to stay at the Red Lion.

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2004

I stayed at the Red Lion June 2004. My husband and I used to stay at this hotel in the early 1980's when it was a Marriott. I don't believe any renovation has been done since then. The furniture and bathroom was way past tired. It seemed clean, as much as possible for it's very old condition. I had to go to another floor for ice. The male desk clerk seemed totally put out by my presence at his desk. This hotel has a very good location for those coming from Houston on Hwy. 290. but I don't believe I'll stay again, it just felt depressing. Also I was treated as if I was getting a really good price at $69.00, if the other reviewers got in the $30. range, that makes this hotel even more depressing to me.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2003

I stayed at your hotel and found it to be very poor for the price. The pillows were very poor/flat. The room had lots of space and seem very empty at the same time. The tv had limited chanels, with the time malti channels could be had with the price of the room. The front deck girl when i asked for directions said i am new and don't know. The ceiling tie in the bathroom was all yellow like alot of smoking was going on.
The breckfeast buffett should be free with a room stay, it was not that good for the style you are trying to display. I think the price was way way over priced for the room,not worth the price

Been to Crowne Plaza Austin? Share your experiences!