“Beyond expectation.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Toronto, Canada
“Beyond expectation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I both enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Austin, Tx.

We used the shuttle pick up at the airport and were pleasantly surprised to see Louis, the driver waiting for us. He even phoned while we were in the airport to say that he was waiting outside for us.

The check in went smoothly and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. In fact, we got in before noon and they had a room ready for us. Our room was clean and the king size bed was comfortable. I really appreciated the fitness center which is open 24 hrs a day, being on the first floor, that way I felt safe while exercising alone.

I liked the refresh/relax amenities that were left on our bed. Buffet breakfast was included with our room and we enjoyed the made to order omelets as well as all the other hot and cold options. The WiFi worked perfectly both in our room and throughout the hotel.

There is a restaurant in the hotel but there was also a choice of restaurants close by and stores in walking distance. The Capitol, University of Texas and the downtown area are just a few minutes drive away.

One comment to be made with the printers which did not work while I was trying to print my boarding pass. I forgot to mention this at the desk before I left.

The staff at Crowne Plaza Hotel went beyond expectations to make this a comfortable stay for us. They always had a smile on their faces and made us feel welcome. Thank you Cynthia, Louis and all the other staff whose names I don't recall. I would certainly stay at this hotel if I should visit Austin, Tx in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing the Crowne Plaza Austin. I am very pleased we were able to exceed your expectations. Our staff is very proud of our hotel and treat our guests with the best service possible. I will be sure to let both Cynthia and Cruz know that you noticed their efforts. We hope you will continue to choose the Crowne Plaza and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Randy Brunnemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I can't believe so many reviewers rated this hotel highly....what? My work picked this hotel so even tho I'm not a fan of this chain, I thought I'd give it a chance. Mistake! From the moment I walked into the lobby & smelled that sickly sweet scent they spray throughout the property (what exactly are they trying to cover up?) I knew I was in trouble. Tired decor in lobby, very tired decor in room, and just that overwhelming knowledge that nothing is quite clean enough. To top it off, bed was very uncomfortable. Sheets scratchy. Don't do it!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all experience you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. Your comments are being shared with the department management and appropriate action will be taken. I would ask that on your next stay, if you choose to give us another chance, I would like to speak with you in person and hopefully address other concerns you may have. Upon check-in please inform the Desk Representative that you would like to speak with me. I am sure that your next stay, and all other stays after that, will not only meet but exceed your expectations. Thank you.

General Manage.
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We spent one night. We requested a quiet room away from the elevator. They gave us a room directly across from the elevator. The hotel was not sold out so why exactly would you do this? I don't think this was really an unreasonable request. They did change the room when we asked them to do so. However this meant returning to the lobby , then back up to the room. This says to me that they don't like to be bothered with any request, no matter how small. When we got our new room, there was an empty lotion container in the bathroom. This makes me wonder how thorough the cleaning really was....The next morning, although we were checking out, housekeeping knocked on the door at 9:30. Does anyone communicate in this hotel? Additionally, the traffic noise from the highway was quite loud. I have to wonder if we were put in this room because of our request for a quiet room. The manager did send cookies to our room while we were out. A nice gesture but all we really wanted was our simple request carried out. I would search for a different hotel if you think you might have even the slightest request above just obtaining a room, if you like quiet and if you like the staff to communicate with each other.

Room Tip: Don't expect any requests to be met
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to address any other concerns you may have so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back in the area.

Lufkin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Horrible experience with Marshall at the front desk. I made reservations for myself and 2 coworkers. I was the first to arrive at the hotel and got checked in with no problem. I went to my room and unpacked and was settled in working on computer when I heard my door (*magically*) open and my coworker walked in with her bags. Needless to say, I was quite surprised that someone was given a key to MY room but happy that it was someone I knew. My coworker and I went down to straighten things out, but Marshall insinuated that it was all our fault for one person booking all three rooms. Several times I had trouble with my room key (as did my co-workers and others at the conference). The bed was comfortable, but the air was either hot or cold (no in between) and I could actually see the light from outside in a crack in the wall between the air/heat unit and the wall. When my co-worker and I mentioned that we had so much trouble with Marshall, the front desk offered us free breakfast and drink coupons. Later that night a cheese tray was delivered to our rooms. But even the freebies and cheese tray was not enough - when staying in Austin again I WILL NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: If you are brave enough to stay here...avoid checking in with a man named MARSHAL
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience and regret the way your concerns were handled by our staff. Kindly be assured that I will treat this matter seriously and will take appropriate action. Again, I apologize for our failure and I truly hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Like dozens of others, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza during SXSW. The hotel staff were a delight -- friendly, helpful and went out of their way to ensure transportation and other services during a particularly hectic time. In fact, I've never written a review before but wanted to highlight the exceptional service and offer my sincere thanks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I'm very pleased we were able to contribute to your successful and enjoyable SXSW experience. We're glad you chose the Crowne Plaza Hotel and we hope you will join us again next year or whenever you are visiting Austin. Thank you again.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Marshall, Tim, John, and Darrien where very helpful with me getting checked into my room. I was very pleased with the service. The room was very nice. I had a great stay there. If I am to get a room in Austin again, I will try my best to get one there again.

Room Tip: I suggest you get the rewards points. They upgrade your room to a suite, if available, when you are...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Whenever you need a room at our hotel just please call. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'll pass on your comments. I am pleased we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again, soon!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I love this hotel it reminds me of Cancun. There aren't enough great things to say about it like the awesome first floor rooms with patios and the awesome pool and hot tub (which seem to be more and more rare to find). But most of all is the incredible way we got to start the day thanks to the smiles and laughter that we received at breakfast from Wanda.
She really made our day. Stay here an extra day or two if you can to try to get enough points and miles so you can sign up for their platinum elite status just to get the chance to go upstairs and join Wanda for breakfast. You won't regret it. Everyone here did a great job of making us feel warm and welcome. Plus they have a great conference center too...making this one of Austin's not so hidden crown jewels.

Room Tip: There is no bad room in the house, but the first floor rooms with the patios are super nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Wanda is indeed an exceptional associate. She goes out of her way daily to get our guests off on the right foot. I am sure she will be pleased to read your review. We hope you will continue to choose the Crowne Plaza Hotel every time you are in Austin.

Randy Brunnemann

Been to Crowne Plaza Austin? Share your experiences!