“Great Things in Store!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 191 Hotels in Austin
South Carolina
“Great Things in Store!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed at the Radisson for two nights and, although still undergoing renovation, this hotel will soon be one of the contenders in Austin! I have seen the plans for updating the rooms and the progress of the hotel so far and I believe it will be on par with some of the Radisson Blu properties at which I have stayed in Europe.
After a long day which included some travel delays, my check-in was quick and pleasant. The front desk personnel could not have been nicer - cheery and efficient. I was upgraded to a suite facing Lady Bird lake and could not have been more pleased with my room. Although the furniture and the carpet were a little dated, the bed, the linens, the amenities and the view more than made up for that. Who sits around staring at the floor anyway? The room was spacious and quite clean - maid service was completed in a timely fashion while I was at breakfast.
The newly installed Chavez restaurant serves an incredible breakfast... and if that is not to your liking there is a full service Starbucks in the lobby (replacing the old, dated cafe).

As so many have said before me, the location of this hotel is perfect for anything you would want to access in Downtown Austin....close to the capitol, a stone's throw from Lady Bird Lake, and the South Congress area.

I can't wait to return and see the newly renovated rooms. Thanks, Radisson Austin, for a comfortable stay and a very pleasant experience!

Room Tip: Request a lake view room...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Miffdb,

Thanks you for your positive review of your recent stay with us! We are so happy that you enjoyed our recent renovations including our new restaurant, chavez. We are also happy that you were pleased with our staff and the cleanliness & comfort of your room. We can't wait to have you stay with us again in one of our soon-to-be renovated rooms! Until then, stay connected with the hotel and our upgrades by following us on Facebook and Twitter. We also share lots of great Austin area events and activities.

Radisson Austin Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We had a wonderful time and this hotel met our needs in every way.
There were blocked rooms for a wedding weekend and they were busy having several guests for several different weddings. It was very smooth and the staff was so friendly and helpful.
Happy hour was great - beautiful, unique and delicious foods and cocktails in a brand new restaurant / bar area. It was a great deal!
This hotel has such a suburb location. You can walk to so many downtown restaurants and walk to great shops on south Congress.
The valet service was excellent, as well. We never had to wait and there was also no wait helping us with suitcases and clothes.
The staff was cheerful and as accommodating as any hotel we had ever stayed at.
We'll be back!

Room Tip: High up with a view of Lady Bird Lake
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
JWR60,

Thank you for your kind review. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit with us! We are happy to hear that your found our staff and valet service so friendly and efficient - that's exactly what we strive for! It's also great to hear that you enjoyed our new restaurant. We're looking forward to your next visit. Until then, stay in touch by following us on Facebook and Twitter for hotel updates as well as Austin area activities and events. Radisson Austin Downtown
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

To start off, I've rarely given a hotel a rating less than "Very Good". I choose my hotels carefully and have never been disappointed. The only ones I've been dissatisfied were chosen by someone else for a group gathering. Unfortunately, I didn't get to choose this hotel. It was given as the hotel for a wedding party with a $90 discount from the normal $239 price and it was close to the wedding and reception venue. For $239, my expectations were fairly high.

OK, so the check in was efficient and staff very friendly. Hotel room is small, quite a bit smaller than a typical Holiday Inn, but totally adequate. It's more like a Quality Inn. Bathroom is small. The room was immaculately clean. The beds (sleep number) are comfortable.

But OH MY GOSH, THE NOISE! Every city bus, motorcycle, car, taxi, etc. was unbelievably loud. The noise goes on until about 2AM. Then, it quieted down for some sleep until about 6:50 AM (I looked at the bedside clock). I doubt if there's anything the hotel can do about the noise, but maybe if they supplied foam ear plugs! Seriously! I've never stayed in a fine hotel that had so much noise. The floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall single-pane window just simply transmits and maybe even amplifies the street sounds.

Room Tip: Oh man, try to get a room away from the "City Side". Maybe they have rooms on the Lake Si...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
UltraLimited,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We're pleased that you were happy with check-in, our staff, the beds, and the cleanliness of your room. We apologize that the street noise was so loud - we know how important a good night's sleep is. We hope that you will stay with us again and give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience. Radisson Austin Downtown
Scott City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I booked a four star hotel stay on Hotwire almost two months ago for a downtown location near the wedding we are attending. When the hotel was revealed....I was concerned when nearly every review was negative. So, I called the Radisson....thinking I would cancel and be out $10.

Once I understood the recent purchase, renovations in progress and talked with highly courteous reservations personnel......I decided to give the Radisson a try......it may turn out to be a steal.

I'm so glad we stayed here! When we arrived.....after a VERY long drive, check-in was speedy, though the desk was swamped. We ventured to the in-house bar...Chavez (only open two weeks, we learned). Great view and very contemporary. Caught happy hour with seafood menu options......we fancied sushi for dinner, but the raw oysters, ceviche and guacamole kept us at Chavez without regret. More oysters and beet salad with steak cooked to perfection rounded out dinner......very fairly priced.

In my humble opinion......the combination of topnotch hospitality from both Radisson and Chavez staff is a recipe for success. Once renovations are complete.......this hotel will be able to enjoy negative reviews as a vague memory.

Thank you for making our whirlwind weekend memorable and fun. Special thanks to Taylor, Allison, Drake, Vanessa and the guys working the oyster bar. You make guests feel special.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
705kme2014,

Thank you so much for your kind review and for giving us the chance, despite previous reviews. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We're thrilled that you enjoyed chavez, as we are very excited about our new restaurant. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and we will be sure to pass on your thanks to Taylor, Allison, Drake, Vanessa and the guys working the oyster bar. We hope that you'll visit out hotel again soon. Until then, we invite you to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our hotel as well as Austin area activities and events. Thanks again, Radisson Austin Downtown
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was in Texas for a work function, but extended the trip just to explore the area, and ended up in Austin for 2 nights. I chose the Radisson because it was reasonably priced and reasonably reviewed. The location was great. -- Close to lots of restaurants and shops, and just had to walk across the bridge to explore the South Congress Street area. I wish I could have been here in the spring and summer season to see the bats because it was the perfect location for it!

Parking was convenient, but definitely tight spaced. Pool area looked appealing, but it was in the 30s and 40s during my visit. On the last night I was looking for a quick casual bite, and was disappointed the hotel only had a formal dining option. It did lead me to a nice casual restaurant nearby though.

The desk chair in my room was very stained (not making guesses on what the stain was from...). So I just avoided that area.

Lobby is pleasant and staff was friendly and accommodating. Overall I enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and that your found out location so convenient.

We hope that you'll come back and stay with us again so that you can see the bats - it's an amazing sight. We invite you to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for hotel specials and updates, as well as Austin area events and activities.

Thank you again, Radisson Austin Downtown
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I booked one night, Valentine's, on Trivago for a steal. Then we were somehow up graded to a king bed with breakfast. The breakfast food was delicious. The beds are sleep number, which has it's pros and cons. No hot tub. Great views, but you can tell the old windows from the newer. Innovative parking passes using room keys.
Great location, all I'm all, I had a wonderful holiday and the Radisson was part of it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
ladynfamous,

Thank you for your review - we're happy your stay exceeded your expectations! Glad to hear you enjoyed breakfast. We hope you'll stay with us again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Worst night stay in a hotel ever. Hated this hotel with a passion. Pool was pitch black and had no lights also had building work going on really loud drilling through the walls. Electricity blackout for three hours. The decor was cheap and tacky and nothing seemed to match.

• Stayed December 2013
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Prlrt,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry that you did not have a great experience with our hotel.

We apologize for the inconvenience of the power outage - it was a necessary part of the renovations we underwent to open our new restaurant, chavez. We did our best to schedule it at a time that would impact the smallest number of guests and to let guests know that it was planned. We are very sorry that it negatively impacted your stay and your opinion of our hotel.

If you would like to further discuss the issues you experienced during your stay, we would love the opportunity to try to make it right! Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel management!

Thank you again for taking the time to reach out to us.
Radisson Austin Downtown

Been to Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown? Share your experiences!