“Fawlty Towers?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel,great location but spoiled a little bit by the bozos on the front desk and the fact that nobody seems to sleep past 5am here.

Check in smooth, and front desk charming but when getting to the room there was already somebody in that room and their luggage was out everywhere. I'd be horrified if a random stranger just came walking into my room so good job they were out! That error was quickly rectified and was given a second room with much apology given.

Valet parking was smooth, swift and polite. Back at the hotel after dinner and popped into TGI for a couple of drinks. Nice touch, and it works well.

Beds a comfortable and rooms have goodtemperature control too. At 4.45am somebody decided to take a shower and it sounded like they were showering in my room! Then at 5.00am somebody else and by 5.15am it sounded as if the whole of the Austin water supply was being pumped through pipes next to my bed.

At 5.25am the front desk decided it'd be fun to put through some callers to my telephone just because their first name was the same as my surname!!! Why? Not once though, three times. Surely you'd look again at the guest register if the caller said it was the wrong number? I feel sorry for the person trying to reach their friend or colleague because I wasn't best pleased. When I called the front desk myself, you know what he said? "well thats what it says on my list" I mean, come on, learn to read bozo!!!!

Nice hotel, great location, but kind of spoiled by the over authorisation of lesser qualified individuals.

Thanks for the adventure, Radisson, but I won't stay here again, sorry

Stayed May 2012
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Jandrewsesq,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We are sorry for all the confusion. These issues have been handled by the management to insure that this will never happen again. We are so very sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Thank you again.

Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while attending RailsConf at the Hilton. Not only was this property cheaper than the conference rate at the Hilton, but I got the "4th night free", which allowed me to stay the extra night, and not leave the conference before the end. The front desk staff and the concierge were helpful when I needed questions answered and taxi to the airport.

Although it was a little noisy in the hallways, the hotel itself was fairly laid-back and quiet. I really appreciated the TGIFriday's in the hotel, where you could drop in at the bar, and order takeout off the full menu. This allowed me to get a great meal, quickly, and get back to my room to work on my presentation. The SleepNumber bed was also very comfortable.

The breakfast buffet, while nothing special, was reasonably priced, well stocked, and had some variety in the offerings from day to day.

Really, my only complaint was the lack of a room-safe, so I had to carry my laptop around, even on the days I didn't need it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the building have a view of the "Bat Bridge", which is quite a t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear wndxlori,

Thank you for telling us about your stay during the conference. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We will pass your concerns about the need for a room safe on to our hotel management. We are always looking for better ideas for our hotel..

Radisson Hotel & Suites Downtown
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The room was a standard issue hotel room - a little on the small side for our family of our. However we weren't in the room much so it was not a problem. Staff was exceptional provided us with good suggestions for dining and getting SUP boards for our teens - parking reasonable - and the hotel breakfast of made to order breakfast tacos was great. Starbucks in the lobby for those jonesing for coffee. Pool is outdoors but was warm enough to swim in. RIght by the Congress Bridge, so poised for the bats nightly flight. Walking distance to the Capital and music scene and a short trip over the bridge to South Congress and Amy's ice cream! Bus ride up to the UT campus. All in all a reasonable and convenient place for a short visit to Austin.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear bookgirl211,

Thank you for telling us about your visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We strive as hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are so glad that you got to enjoy many of our amenities.

Thank you again for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Cape Canaveral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The people at this property have been schooled in how to treat a customer and it was very refreshing. That being said the property while nice was a little old and tired. They could stand to refurb a little. Also not their fault but get up high and on the back side as the street noise was loud and I was on the 8th floor. I cannot compare to others but at over $200 a night with parking I felt the value was a little off. Would I stay here again? I never stay in the same place twice but would recommend you do especially for the service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Psbcap,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. We appreciate all of your comments about our hotel. We will pass them on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you for mentioning the need for a remodel of the hotel. We are actually working on that little by little.

Thank you again for your time.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Okay, so I know I'm picky and have really high standards. But this hotel really seemed to underwhelm me. The lobby is pretty nice, but those deceiving looks vanish once you get up to the actual rooms. The rooms need a complete makeover. I felt like I stepped into a commercial for the 1970's. Everything was dated- the curtains (which reminded me of those curtains from The Sound of Music that Maria makes clothing for the kids from), the furniture, the wallpaper (which was starting to peel from the walls). The air-conditioner was old and even when I had it set to 60*, the coldest the room ever got according to the thermostat was around 70*.

The bathroom was worn, too. The shower curtain liner needs to be changed (moldy spots were present on it), the shower-head didn't function properly, and the tub drain needed a good snake or Drain-O poured down a few times.

Oh, and cardio room (which was nice) was like 75 degrees with a locked cover around the temperature controls so you could not adjust it. So, you are already sweating before you start working out. I guess the location is good, and there is a TGI-Fridays and Starbucks inside (if you have no imagination on food choices), but I think if you're going to spend close to $200/night, there are better options in the area to chose from.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a higher up room with a lake view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear SuntoryTime,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your concerns about the hotel being outdated and the air not working very well. We will pass these concerns on to our management. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at the Radisson Austin for 3 days as the wedding I was going to had a great deal there. I thought it was a very nice place with comfortable rooms. It's well located and I was able to walk to may places or do short cab rides. And they have the best valet/"concierge" in Dave aka iDave who will tell you the real deal on anything Austin especally on food!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear deanoskids,

Thank you for telling me about your recent visit to our hotel. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. We appreciate all of your comments about our hotel. We will pass your comments about Dave on to him. He will really enjoy hearing the comments.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

DANVILLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We came here for two nights prior to the beginning of a Texas Hill Country bike tour, and then returned for one final night following the tour. Location is excellent -- right downtown and adjacent to the bridge where the bats come out at around 7:30 (we didn't see them). Stores and shops were convenient, and we began our walking tour to the state capitol building easily from the hotel -- not a far walk. Pleasant stroll down Congress Avenue.

We were met at the door by friendly doormen who helped carry our heavy bags (include our bike cases) into the lobby. We were then greeted by the very friendly desk rep who quickly checked us in. Room was very nice and everything was provided that we needed. Clean bathroom, with exterior vanity area from the main bath, extra shower amenities and hair dryer etc. Bed was comfortable too. They have a couple of restaurants, including TGI Fridays and Starbucks, located offside their lobby, and we had their buffet breakfast in the mornings. While our freshly-cooked omelet was excellent, other members of our group said the cook burned theirs the first time and had to redo them. But we were very satisfied, and the options for the breakfast were more than sufficient to get us started on our bike tour.

All in all a very pleasant stay with exceptionally helpful and friendly concierge and service staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the river. Ours didn't, but that was OK for us.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear, bhailey,

Thank you for telling us about your visit to our hotel. We hope that you enjoyed the bike tour. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Radisson Hotel and Suites Austin Downtown

Been to Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown? Share your experiences!