“U.T. Graduation” 5 of 5 stars

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 San Jacinto at 8th Street, Austin, TX 78701   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #29 of 184 hotels in Austin
Houston
“U.T. Graduation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It is a great hotel to stay at along with a great location. Stayed there for my nephews graduation from University of Texas. So the location was just down the street from where he lives. The valet parking attendants we're extremely helpful and friendly when we drove up. The bellman we're also helpful, when we did arrive they we're short handed on bellman but they did do a great job. The rooms we're very nice, I would come back to the hotel late in the evening tired and to find out that the bed has been turned down. Would wake up in the morning to find the local paper at my front door. So if you are looking for a extremely great hotel with a great staff, from the valet parking attendants, bellman, front desk, and room service.

Room Tip: The odd number rooms have a view of the city. The even number rooms have a view of the lobby. One gr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We thank you for the accolades regarding the customer service of our staff. We do appreciate you taking time to recognize their service. There is one slight correction in your review...the even numbered rooms are our exterior facing rooms. Odd numbered face the interior atrium. We look forward to having you back again in the near future.

1,210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The only thing that kept this from being excellent was the s l o w elevators, poor signage to rest rooms and elevators and my key card had to be replaced 4 times in 5 days (kept getting wiped out.) The personnel was very accomodating and apologetic for the slipups.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post your concerns regarding your recent stay at the hotel. Please accept our apologies for the elevator and key card challenges you encountered. We appreciate your valuable and constructive feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a flawless stay in the near future.
Houston, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

First off - if you decide to stay here - DO NOT book thru any other site. I booked my (non-refundable) stay 2 months in advance for a double suite - there were 4 of us traveling together. When I get there, they give us a King Standard room. Did I mention there were 4 on the reservation (only 3 came though). The only thing they offered was a trundle bed for the room, which, once set up gave us zero room - we had to crawl over the bed to get out of the other bed. The explaination management gave us? Oh, we have that problem with that site (as well as other popular sites) - when you book a room, the type of room is only a request, not a guarantee. So, I paid extra to only ASK for 2 beds.
After one of the other in my party complained, they did comp us parking (which is $18 a night for self park - beware) and breakfast for the next day.
Positive side? The rooftop pool is a saltwater pool, and very small but quite nice. The resturant is actually quite good for the breakfast buffet, but a little pricey. The beds are comfortable and the other staff is very nice. The rooms are clean and well kept. The view is nice and the windows are big! Its only a block from 6th street, so many many bachelor parties were in the hotel which was entertaining, but not very family friendly.
One other irritation for me though - the bathroom does not have a fan, so it gets hot and muggy. The room we were in did not have any other mirrors in the room except one small one behind a desk. This is a problem if you have more than one person staying there and need to all get ready in the morning.
After my experience however, I will never stay at the Omni again. I have always used the site I used to book my hotels and never had this so called 'common problem'. They did not even attempt to resolve or compensate the issue until a second person complained. Poorly handled.

Room Tip: Club level is nice if you can get to it. Otherwise, no idea.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for the positive and not so positive review. I see you said you booked a double room through a 3rd party website. Unfortunately they cannot see our inventory and many times we are sold out of some room types and cannot honor all requests. On weekends we see many people who book rooms and ask for a double room but then only list 1 person on the reservation. We always try to accomodate our guest requests. Unfortunately there are times when we cannot. When this happens we try to offer compensation to make up for this. I do hope you will come to see us again while in Austin.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I recently decided to give the Omni a try and I am glad I did. What a great hotel. From the checking to check out this hotel provides exceptional customer service and true luxury accommodations. The bedding is exceptionally comfortable and the room is quiet and clean.

• Stayed May 2013
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had a very positive experience at this Omni hotel. First, let me say that the location is great in downtown Austin- close to the capitol, the Driskill, 6th St, and other shops/restaurants. Upon check-in, staff was friendly and speedy.

The rooms were great- lots of space, clean, nice bathrooms, well lit. The bed and pillows were so comfortable- I didn't want to get out of bed the next day! I also loved the bathroom towels (I know, how silly), but they were big and fluffy- not like typical hotel towels. The hotel also does turn down service, so when I came back from dinner my bed had been turned down, the TV was turned to a calming music channel, and the bathroom soaps had been restocked. I was impressed.

Had a glass of wine at the hotel bar- a little on the pricey side, but thats whats to expect at a Omni. They also had a little breakfast/lunch shop that brews Starbucks coffee and sells sandwiches and breakfast tacos.

Overall I had a great experience, will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I live in west Austin but decided to have a "stay-cation" downtown. We stayed at the Omni and were very impressed with the service. Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating especially the valet, concierge and the receptionist! It was our anniversary so the hotel had chocolate dipped strawberries and wine with a handwritten note in our room. What a nice surprise! The rooms were recently updated and were extremely clean. I'm very picky and inspect everything and it was spotless. The location was also great and we could walk to most restaurants and night life. I would highly recommend staying here as it exceed my expectations!

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room higher up with city view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We're pleased you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us and we hope you will consider returning for next year's celebration. Thank you for your kind remarks.
Scarsdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Omni chain of hotels offers perhaps the consistently best hotel experience among the large, upscale (but not luxury) hotel chains. This hotel is a further example of the superiority of the chain. Here is what sets the hotel apart from its competitors:

1. If you join Omni Select (for frequent travelers), which you can join at any time, you get free internet service regardless of whether you have any "points;" you just have to sign up.
2. In the mornings you get your choice of complimentary coffee, tea or juice plus, for a nominal fee, a bagel with cream cheese or similar nosh, brought to your room. You can even ask that the snack be left outside your door at an appointed time so you don't have to get up to open the door.
3. The room lighting is great. Lighting has always been my main complaint with hotel rooms in this price category. The lighting is uniformly bad in most hotel rooms offered by the chains. However, the Omni is an exception. All the lights are three-way and nicely positioned so that you can actually read a book comfortably or, in my wife's case, apply makeup without fear.

The Omni Austin is centrally located, in easy walking distance of the shopping and restaurants on 2nd Street, the Sixth Street scene, and the State Capitol.

Tip - Go see the comedy revue show, Esther's Follies. It's on Sixth Street and it is hilarious. Very clever; the performers are talented, and on top of comedy sketches and songs, the magician is great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your support of Omni Hotels and Resorts. We're pleased to hear your stay at our hotel in Austin exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your continued patronage.

Been to Omni Austin Hotel Downtown? Share your experiences!