“Business Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 San Jacinto at 8th Street, Austin, TX 78701   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #26 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Business Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the Omni while in Austin for a conference. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It was walking distance from 6th St. and close to great dining. The room was large and clean. I will definitely try to stay here the next time I'm in Austin.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was there on business but I could hear all the 6th street night life. Since parking in Austin is a pain the location is great. Park the car and walk to 6th street. I love all Omni's, I've been to the one in Houston and their customer service is comparable to Austin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your patronage with Omni Hotels and thank you for your positive comments.
fort worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

hall on the fifth floor as it was quite, but the room was quite small and I assume that the shower was meant asfor a hindicapped person as there was no tub and just a shower curtain that leaked water all over the bath and into the front hall. I was not given a key to the mini-bar and the coffee pot in the room had no pot. I went to the bar which was average at best but the waut staff was attentive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback from your recent visit. Please accept our apologies for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you encountered. We appreciate you reporting these issues so that we may rectifiy immediately. We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Omni downtown Austin is a fantastic place with great service! We recently held our wedding/reception there and had nothing but compliments from our guests about the rooms, staff, and food. My wife and I also stayed there two nights and loved the big, soft beds. Also, the showers are very nice and modern and the rooms are large. It's close to many attractions and is in a perfect spot for walking downtown.

Make sure to see if Robert the concierge is working. He's amazing and will point you in the right direction for just about anything you could need!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lobby area. Rooms facing the street can be a bit noisy on the weekends wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations once again on your recent nuptuals. We're pleased to hear your experience exceeded your expectations. We thank you for your positive comments regarding our Guest Services Manager. Hope to see you next year to celebrate your first year anniversary!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A large group of friends and family recently stayed at this Omni for a family wedding in downtown Austin. The hotel is nice and comfortable and the staff is accommodating and helpful. The rooms are comfortable, but not very large. Note that the standard rooms do not have a microwave or refrigerator if you plan an extended stay. The hotel restaurant has a complete breakfast buffet each day that is very good. There are pros and cons of this hotel's location. The pros are that it is central to nearly all downtown attractions and you can walk almost everywhere. The con is that you are less than 2 blocks from 6th Street. If your room is on the exterior of the building you will most definitely listen to the partiers on 6th Street (and surrounding areas), especially between the hours of 1:00-3:00 am. You can avoid this by requesting an interior room that overlooks the lobby rather than downtown views. We were in an exterior room on the 5th floor. A higher room may also eliminate some of the noise. Two of the three nights we were there (Friday - Monday), there was also a significant amount of noise in the hallways during the night, as well. The hotel staff was responsive to complaints and made a good effort to control this as much as possible.

I would recommend this hotel for nearly anyone, but particularly for those who intend to explore all that Austin has to offer downtown.

Room Tip: Request a room on the interior of the building to avoid noise late at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay for the most part. Please accept our apologies for the noise issues you mentioned. We thank you for your patronage.
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

While there for a bachelor party, I can't say I fully utilized the hotel, or spent much time in it. When I did though, the room was great. Nice bathroom, comfortable beds.

It's just a block from the start of 6th street, so going out is quite easy, cabs are accessible and the staff is friendly. Stubbs is walking distance as well as UT Campus and other great places. Also not far from the light night food trucks.

7th has some soup kitchen places with a lot of people outside in the mornings, but they don't bother you if you're walking through or by.

Just mind that if you're a Select Guest that you ask for the wireless as they don't inform you or know apparently at check-in if you're not in the Select Guest check in line.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, they do release specials for them, so be sure to check their site first. I boo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to post comments from your recent stay. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and services and hope you will return in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I usually book my hotels after reading reviews from this site. Well not usually but pretty much always. The most recent reviews were quite useful but I must say I have experienced otherwise.

first of all I have arrived the hotel at 11pm on a sunday night. I tried to check-in and I was given a double queen room and mentioned I was charged extra for selecting king option though the person on the front desk arrogantly refused to listen me and said they were over sold. I asked him to check this in the records and print me a copy of reservation so I can take it to the party I made the reservation with. He said he didn't have rights to print so he couldn't. I asked him to show me the screen and he has refused to do so as well. I knew the hotel was sold out and they simply put me whatever room they felt like it.

Decided to take shower and guess what I found out. No hot water. I kept running the water for about 3 minutes to get hot water but nothing. The water was just barely warm so took shower and just slept. -1/2star for this.

Suggestion to hotel staff reading this ; if you can't get me room I want for the price I paid, you don't give me something less. front desk staff must learn how to treat customers -1 star for 11 pm staff jan 13, 2013

Next morning I walked downstairs and explained my reservation issue. The person whose name I don't remember in the front desk was probably one of the politest person I had dealt with and understood my request. He found out that it was a mistake and my reservation had actually came in as king bed not double queen. He apologized and changed my room. He also greeted me every time he saw me through out my stay and was very professional. He'd redhair and worked monday Jan 14, 2014. Sorry I should have asked for names. +1Star for this behavior.

A/C in my room was very weak , no matter what I did , it didn't want to make the room as cold as I wanted it to be (68F). Even-though setting was set to 65F. The room was around 72-73.

Internet had problems throughout the stay and what they charge you extra speed was actually quite interrupted. One time I had to literally go out to a Starbucks around the corner because
internet was really so bad.

A/C and Internet issue = -1/2star

Hotel has a nice bar, starbucks coffee shop (small) and decent breakfast. It's in a fairly center location. There was a taxi waiting almost all the time i needed one. Good gym/fitness center.

Hotel seems to get super packed with lots of bachelorette/bachelor/birthday groups in the weekends. I would strongly suggest if you like to go to bed early like me to be ready to wake up around 3am with people laughing on hallways security did a good job though. Those noises didn't last very long.

Long story short, the hotel can do better they are just OK. Felt like a Marriott courtyard nothing like what you would expect from the facility you seen when you entered. I would stay there if I had to but I am sure this wasn't a "i will definitely stay there again" experience.

Room Tip: Rooms are farthest from the elevator and not in the middle of the hallway are golden.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I am very sorry to hear of the issues you had while our guest. I will review your comments with our team and try to find out why you did not get the room type you asked for. I do want to point out that there is not a price difference between our king bedrooms and double bedded rooms. I hope you will return to our hotel in the future as we will certainly make adjustments to our overnight crews trsining to be sure we better accomodate guest requests.

Been to Omni Austin Hotel Downtown? Share your experiences!