“stayed there for a wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 San Jacinto at 8th Street, Austin, TX 78701   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #26 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“stayed there for a wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The wedding was great; we stayed in the hotel for about 4 nights. There were a few issues with cleanliness of one of the rooms and a long wait for food in the hotel restaurant, but the hotel went well above and beyond to make up for it. The people in my party were very impressed. I would highly recommend this hotel for its quality service and fantastic location. Neat rooftop pool, and great atmosphere. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for the valuable feedback regarding the issues you experienced during your stay while attending a wedding. We're pleased to hear that once reported, our staff members rectified these issues to your satisfaction. We hope you have the opportunity to return in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Omni is located right downtown - a $25 cab right from the airport. The atrium consists of glass roofed space between it and the large office building next door. This gives a light an airy feel during the day. At night I found it rather dark with small pools of light at the restaurant and reception etc. Check in was fast and friendly. Another reviewer mentioned a smell and when I arrived on my floor it seemed that the carpet had just been cleaned and large fans were being used to help dry it. I lucked out by getting a large corner room with views to the outside rather than the atrium. I was a little concerned to see a notice warning me that since Austin was the capitol of live music it may be noisy at the weekend and they would try and help if you complaints!
The room had some charming Texas touches - a leather chair with a cowhide-covered footstool, and some other elements of the decor. For once at a large chain hotel internet was fast and free. Good bathroom but a rather dark shower- plenty of hot water however, and good sizes shampoo bottles etc. Free coffee, although it took me a while to work out that you had to remove it from the closet and find a plug elsewhere.. All in all outlets were rather scarce especially near the nightstands. Good 32" flat screen TV with most of the usual channels.The linens were ironed and the bed was very comfortable. A nice touch was a bottle of spray starch in the closet with the iron. Concierge staff were very friendly and helpful. The state capitol is a few blocks away so very convenient for those in Austin on state business. The Omni offers a generous government discount as an additional bonus!

Room Tip: I preferred a view to the outside rather than the atrium. Be warned however these may be noisier at...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We appreciate you taking time to post the highlights of your stay. We're pleased to hear that your visit was pleasurable and you found your accommodations to be clean and comfortable. We hope to see you again soon!
Marriottsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have not stayed at an Omni branded hotel in years, but my expectations of the Omni brand were exceeded at the Omni Austin Downtown. This is an excellent hotel with a wonderful staff and an equally well maintained rooms and facilities. From the moment you book, the communication they provide is superb. I did the online check in and the process was flawless. Driving up to the driveway, the bellmen will greet you with a professional flair. He already knew by checking the name on my bag that my key was ready, and all the front desk clerk had to do was to hand me my card key.

The location is very convenient to all the downtown restaurants and bars. The hotel is well maintained and the rooms have a classic "Omni" look and feel to it. Took advantage of the Select Guest program and received the complimentary morning coffee and wi-fi during my stay. Excellent service all around. So glad that my convention hotel was fully booked and made me look at the Omni as a superior Austin alternative.

Looking forward to making Omni as my hotel of choice again!

Room Tip: Sign up for the Select Guest program.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown pride ourselves on striving to provide outstanding customer service through our associates.This is the greatest service we can provide our guests. We are pleased to learn that our services met your expectations, and we have shared your comments with our staff, since we find that to be a very effective way of reinforcing hospitality-oriented job performance. Your kind comments are very much appreciated!
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

At Omni October 15-17, 2012 for a conference. The structure itself is impressive and expansive - self parking is below street. Well maintained as I noted no lamps out or issues throughout the building. Room was in great order and bed/bedding was outstanding. The set-ups for the conference were great and the food was better than average. Front desk staff were very helpful. The concierege floor 14 required room card access for the floor and the waitstaff in the service area on the floor were friendly and excellent. Price was a bit high.

Room Tip: I liked the inside view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the positive comments regarding your stay while attending a conference at our hotel. We appreciate the kind words for our staff members and facilities and hope you have the opportunity to return in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I really enjoyed the Omni in Austin. I was there with my husband on business. Our room overlooked the inside of the hotel which was prettier at night when you were able to see everything lit. One thing I noticed that really stood out about this hotel was the SMELL. It smelled amazing the moment we walked in to get our keys. The staff were awesome and the restaurant had a pretty good lunch buffet. I enjoyed using the fitness center daily and never had to wait for equipment. Its placement in downtown Austin is just right and allowed us to get out and check out the sites without getting caught in crazy traffic. Signing up for Omni select guest allowed us to get a morning beverage before heading out to our meetings; complimentary paper; and one day of complimentary ironing. I would recommend you sign up if you are visiting an omni on business. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Sign up for Omni select to get extra perks. Get a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our facilities. We do change out our lobby scent seasonally and appreciate your feedback. We hope you are able to return in the near future and value your patronage as a Select Guest member.
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I really, really like this Omni - it is really close to 6th street and just far enough away not to hear all the commotion.... The Omni group of hotels has some very beautiful, well maintained hotels, the Austin Omni is certainly not an exception. The rooftop pool is a crown jewel in this city, it is absolutely beautiful and a great place to hang out on those hot Austin days and nights.
If you belong to the Omni Select Guest Loyalty program you are treated even better... (really the service is quite excellent with or without the loyalty program) you get some complimentary ironing done, shoes shined and they even leave a bottle of water for you every evening. We had a really great stay- we stayed here for 5 nights and I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Austin. Excellent service, good attention to the small details, hotel room was always impeccable when we returned.The only draw back was that we stayed here over Hallowe'en and we had a rowdy neighbor (nothing the hotel could really do) Austin is a party city and that really was to be expected. Also, strangely - they seem to have a water softener for all their rooms, or at least in the room that we stayed... which made my hair really bouncy... kind of a nice added (but hidden) benefit...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you again for the glowing review! We hope to seen you again in the near future.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a fantastic hotel, location, and staff !

I've never been treated better at a hotel than during our long weekend for a Texas football game. The staff was more than accommodating for my complicated check-in and worked through all the nuisances of my group reservation. Matt (Front Desk Manager), Becky (Front Desk), and Rob (Guest Services Manager) were so great, and made us feel right at home. The concierge spent over 15 minutes telling me about the must see sights and restaurants. We were greeted each time we stepped off the elevator and walked into the hotel, many of them remembering my name. We left feeling like we made new friends, and I'm really struggling to find a downside to the hotel.

The location is literally one block from the heart of 6th Street (an easy 1-2 minute walk to 6th and San Jacinto), but back far enough where you can get a good night’s sleep and aren’t constantly in the action. If you are in Austin and don’t have much time, this is the hotel for you. We walked back and forth to 6th street at least 3 times each day because it was so easy. If you want to get away and see the State Capitol, UT Campus, West 6th Street, Warehouse District….the walk is a little longer, but very manageable. Cab service is also good if venturing out to SOCO, Lake Travis, Hill Country or some of the more outlying areas. We had a rental car, but really didn’t need it.

The recently renovated rooms and bathrooms show very well along with the larger suite my friend had on one of the executive floors. The openness of the lobby and bar really make for a nice gathering/meeting spot. Fitness center is fresh and vibrant with more than enough machines/equipment.

I travel frequently for work/pleasure and the staff at this hotel is really SECOND TO NONE. We will be recommending this hotel to all of our friends !!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We're elated to hear that our staff, facilites and location exceeded your expectations. It's wonderful to have you as a customer for life! Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we look forward to your next visit!

Been to Omni Austin Hotel Downtown? Share your experiences!