“Business more than pleasure” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 San Jacinto at 8th Street, Austin, TX 78701   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #27 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Michigan
“Business more than pleasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We visited Austin for a Wedding. We became Omni "Select Guests" members beforehand to reap the benefits. It's worth it. Internet, pre-check in and all the extras are worth this free membership.

PARKING-- This is my biggest gripe. We tried to avoid the $18 a day on site charge by parking across the street for about $10 per day. We did this and went over time accidentally and they immediately towed our rental away from the public parking. Not Omni's fault just warning you to be careful. Obviously I parked in the Omni parking the next few days and even with the parking stub, it was saying I owed $24. I didn't have time to argue it and left the premises. This is the last thing you want to spend your money on. One reason I didn't give it 5 trip advisor stars.
CHECK IN/OUT-- Easy as stated due to the select guest privileges. No surprise charges and low maintenance.
ROOMS-- High end fixtures and bedding. It was quiet and the AC was impressively cool. Pretty stocked bar and all sorts of amenities. My quip is that we received two double beds instead of queens or a single king. Perhaps it was due to the wedding party getting a discounted group rate. Not sure but wasn't thrilled. After the first night, the wife and I split off into separate just to avoid the elbows.
POOL--On the smaller side but it does allow for impressive views and the bar is an added feature. Hot tub was out of order which was a disappointment.
RESTAURANT-- We only ate breakfast here once. The food was good, a bit pricey but within reason. The service was slow and inexperienced. We sat there unacknowledged and without drinks for far too long and it wasn't busy at all.
GYM-- Well put together with plenty of options.
BAR-- This is a pretty nice set up. Lots of TVs to appease if you want to catch a game and gets a pretty good atmosphere after dark.
STAFF-- Everyone was very cordial and helpful at all times. The wedding group had a few get togethers in the lobby area and they were quite helpful with providing plates and pretty much whatever we needed.
CLEANLINESS-- It's well taken care of and should be for the normal prices charged. The general decor up to date and warm.
SURROUNDING AREA-- There's not much immediately surrounding the place but just a few short blocks away gives you a really great bar/restaurant/shop scene. A few blocks in another direction and it starts to get a little seedy so know where you are going.
OVERALL-- A nice place to stay but I certainly got more of the business feel than I did a family or romantic feel. I would recommend it though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for you comments and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We do hope you return to see us at a future time. The hot tub is being removed from the pool deck this month to make way for more seating due to the size of the pool deck.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Omni last week to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel is in great location and initially we thought it was a very clean, beautiful, and professionally ran hotel. The ceiling tile in bathroom was wet or had water damage. The air conditioner was not as cold as it should have been and it made the room very balmy and humid. And to top off our one night experience, we accidentally left behind a very expensive bottle of cologne in the hotel bathroom. Just hours after we checked out we realized we had left it behind. I called the same day and followed the hotel protocols to handle the situation to recover my belonging. I was not called back as I was told I would be. Two days later I called and spoke with the house keeping manager who told me that nothing was found in our room. Not one to place blame or falsely accuse , I left my number and asked to take it farther and talk to the supervisor. Again, I left my name and number and was not called back. The simple fact is that I left something valuable in my hotel room and "it wasn't found." I know for a fact it was left in the bathroom on the counter. Call it what you will, I know I will. Dishonest. I hope whomever has the cologne is enjoying that gift as much as my husband did. : (

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am so sorry for the missing cologne. Please call the General Manager and I will replace it.
Camshron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Very corporate facilities. not family orientated the rooftop hotel is relatively small with no views.

• Stayed February 2012
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please come and see us again in the near future.
New Providence, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

In walking distance to the capital and 6th Street. Worth the money to upgrade to the club floor with complimentary breakfast and happy hour each day. Awesome rooftop pool (the main reason we booked and the reason we'll go back)! Staff were helpfull and polite. Rooms were clean and had great bedding/pillows, which is rare for a hotel. We went for a girls weekend away and it was perfect. The only downside is that even on the 14th floor, the noise from the downtown area was quite loud until very late. The pool was also filled with bachelor parties, etc. I have 2 small kids so if I were going to stay in Austin with them, I may choose a different part of the city. However, for our trip it was great!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review of our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here with friends for a bachelorette party. If you're looking for a hotel near downtown partying it's the perfect place, but if you don't want to be near all of that rowdiness then it's not for you. Service was very good -- warm welcome and when there was a cricket in our room that they had to remove (it's cricket season!) they gave us a round of free drinks for our trouble :). Breakfasts at the hotel downstairs (not included) was very good and there were reasonably priced options. Bedding was incredibly comfortable. Rooms were cleaned okay but I did notice some dust, they could have done a better job. I like places with more charm and wouldn't have chosen this hotel if I was just traveling to Austin on my own but this did the trick for the purpose of my visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

There are very few hotels where I give my repeat business to. This is one of them. The staff makes you feel welcome the moment that you check in. They are friendly and knowledgeable. If you aren't an Omni Select Guest member, do sign up. You will get free internet during your stay, a free morning beverage of your choice, and free pressing service, all of which are greatly appreciated. If you are coming in for business and need your sleep, be sure to request a room on the interior side of the hotel. The other side of the hotel is close to 6th Street, and you will hear the noise on the street below well past 3am! The room service is there when they say they will be, and the food is also very good. There have been a few occasions where I have needed a late check-out, and the staff is always very accommodating. I also appreciate the fact that the hotel has off-duty Austin Police officers there on the weekends to make sure that guests only are going on the elevators to the guest rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room if you do not want to listen to the noise from 6th Street
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I got a great rate on Priceline and I really appreciated the fact that this property did not treat me differentially because of the Priceline payment status. In the past, I've had properties refuse to honor my membership in their frequent guest program because I paid through Priceline, but the Omni never noted the status of my purchase. They automatically upgraded me via frequent stayer to a free morning continental breakfast delivered to my room, as well as free internet. Both of these features were sincerely appreciated; the breakfast was really great in that it saved me both time and money. The staff was excellent, especially the concierge who was particularly gracious, helpful and humorous. I'm pretty familiar with the downtown restaurants and the recommendations that I heard him make to other guests were right on the mark and seemed totally objective. I thought that the atrium was lovely, I never had to wait for an elevator, and the housekeeping staff checked in with me each day or evening to see that things were stocked. The roof top pool was wonderful to back to each day; floating in the pool and gazing out over the city was total bliss. The only downside was when I tried to get a drink at the lobby bar in the evenings, I had to go find the bartender. However, during more "regular" hours, I also had a light meal at that bar and the food was amazing- a real surprise for a lobby bar.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Omni Austin Hotel Downtown? Share your experiences!