“Great downtown hotel close to everything” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 E. 11th St., Austin, TX 78701   |
Ranked #84 of 191 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Great downtown hotel close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. Got a great deal on Priceline for 2 nights. Everyone on the property is very courteous, and the hotel grounds are very interesting. I recommend checking out Waller Creek behind the hotel's pool for a cool stone walkway that runs along the creek until campus, where it emerges right beside the Erwin Center. It was a 10 minute walk to 6th.

As expected from a 3.5 star located downtown, nothing is free, parking (15 dollars self-park), internet (10 dollars a night), nor breakfast (10 dollars for the buffet, which is excellent), but that was expected. The room itself was very nice, and the bed an excellent balance of firm and soft. there was no noise from the street or highway heard in our north-facing 8th floor room.

We also forgot something in our room and the hotel was kind enough to overnight it to us.

I would definately go back, or at least hope Priceline directs us there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My girlfriends and I wanted to escape a work-related conference in Dallas for a Friday/Saturday night stay in Austin. We are all well-traveled, and I dare say rather particular, professional females.

Our stay at this hotel was well beyond our expectations. At check-in we were greeted warmly. We asked for extra towels in our rooms, and we received them.

The lobby is modern and airy, and the elevator waiting areas have benches (good for those aching feet from walking around the city).

Our room had a great view of the city and pool below, and seemed recently updated with modern linens, a LCD flat-panel TV, and a sleek console unit. There was also a charging station for mobile devices.

When freshening up for our night out, we noticed absolutely NO cleanliness issues or problems around the bathroom area, or anywhere else for that matter. We were actually expecting to see a hair or two on the sink, but didn't and it pleased us greatly. Also, the provided toiletries were a notch above the usual hotel-quality, although I don't recall the brand. The room in its entirety was IMMACULATE.

We slept comfortably in silence both nights. (I was sober, so I can personally attest to this!)

The morning after our first night of fun on 6th Street, we were in dire need of coffees, but alas, the Starbucks in the lobby had JUST closed (understandable since the bulk of their business in a hotel lobby would naturally only be from 7-10 am or so). When we asked at the front desk where we might find a place to go for coffee, the "I-was-just-leaving-with-my-own-shirt-on-and-purse-in-my-hand" Starbucks employee overheard and offered SEVERAL TIMES to put down her things and stay to make us coffee! We didn't deserve such hospitality, so we insisted that she did not have to and made other breakfast arrangements. Still, very impressive that she offered. Most would have pretended not to have heard.

Another plus for the front desk was the suggestion of the South Congress Cafe. Good call.

The hotel is also walking distance to the Capital building and museums.

I hope to make it back to Austin (I am from VT) with my husband, and we will stay at the Sheraton Austin.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I have read other Platinum members reviews that have stayed here multiple times, and while I agree, I also somewhat disagree. I have not noticed mold or musty air because it's winter, but I do think that service could be a whole lot better. With the W Austin hotel opening next year, they need to think about how to keep SPG business at Sheraton and not let premium business travelers like me from defecting.
My experience at this hotel this time had many highs and some dis-appointing lows.
Starting with lows:
Whenever I arrive at the hotel, a front desk person named Parichart is always ready to greet me and always finds the best room to upgrade me to. This time, I checked in with a new employee who told me that he had no corner or suite upgrades available. I was rather irritated by this. The next morning, the manager on duty did make it right and told me what to do to open up an upgrade the next time I come.
I rode in a problem elevator when I got to the hotel. I reported the issue to the guest request line. 20 or so minutes later, I had to go downstairs, and was unlucky to get the same elevator again and got stuck in it again.. Apparently nothing was done to fix it or take it out of service until I went directly to the front desk and reported it again.

Highs:
I was sad that the hotel restaurant had taken Chicken Fried Steak off the menu. I was very fond of their version of it. After tweeting about in on Twitter, A Sheraton Austin rep sent me a message about making it personally for me. I went to the restaurant after that... and presto! They made it for me! It was quite delicious!
As for my room... I can't complain. Other than a broken heater pump that was fixed, the room was clean and tidy. No hairs left in the bathroom floor by the previous occupant that housekeeping did not pick up.
In conclusion, I hope they remodel an extra few rooms to increase the amount of suites they have to keep elite members from going to the W in Dec 2010. While I'm not ready to give up on this hotel yet, I will be more careful to scrutinize their service commitment the next time I return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

I'm just checking out today and wanted to write while things are still fresh in my mind. I don't consider myself a very particular traveler, but I have stayed in much nicer places. As a Startwood Preferred Guest, I was somewhat disappointed in my stay. As I don't want to be lengthy, here are my concerns: 1) only 1 towel and washcloth per person (I was travelling with my husband), 2) water pressure was not great, and temp was barely luke warm the entire stay, 3) gift shop is subcontracted to outside company; hours only from 8a-12N and 5p-9p; if you need something, you must get a hotel staff person to open the door or go across street to CVS (in my opinion this doesn't make Sheraton look good); 4)No spa and I just wanted a pedicure; had to walk 5 blocks to a place I'd consider just adequate.

That's really it. The bed was good and I slept well. I would recommend this to those on business because it will meet one's needs I'm sure. But if you're looking for the extras that makes your stay very enjoyable, I don't think this place is it. My understanding is that there will be a new Westin open in town before the end of 2009, so if I have to go back, I'm sure I'll stay there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

A platinum guest of Starwood I have stayed at this hotel for the last, of 20 times in the last two years. This time the 8th floor smelled of mold and must and the stains on the carpet where beyond what I have seen in the past. Unfortunately they do not use dehumidifiers in the air system so the humidity mixed with the air conditioning make for a wet and chilly interior temperature. Carpet deodorizer is not the solution. The air conditioner in the room was also stuck on cold and had no other option. Upon emailing the hotel for some options I received several phone calls back which I could not answer. Emails back would have been better.

I also tried to use the Link internet center and printers that are part of Starwood now but when you print boarding passes or Fedex shipping labels the printer cuts off the edges so the barcodes are not usable. There is no setting to fix this and makes the Link useless expect for some slow internet browsing.

The aLoft and W Austin are opening in the next 30 days at the Domain so I will stay up there now for my monthly trips to Austin. They have better cardio equipment that is not rusted like at the Sheraton.

Best of luck to this franchised Sheraton.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

So this hotel worked just fine for us. We came to Austin for the weekend for the Austin City Limits music festival. This hotel was one of the most reasonably priced in the city. Location was good - w/in walking distance or short cab to most everywhere. Rooms have been nicely renovated. Yes, there are popcorn ceilings but this is not the Four Seasons either, so the ceilings didn't bother us. Bed was very comfortable. We had to call down for towels a few times b/c they only gave us two per day for two adults. We had room service once - it was fine and not too $$. Did not try the gym, restaurant, bar, etc. Self parking was $15/nt and easy to do - it seemed a bit silly that we had to pay for parking since it was not the most populated area of town on the weekend but we knew that in advance. Staff was very plesant and we did not hear any highway noise. All in all a nice and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Probably the worst Sheraton I've stayed at...including the one in Palo Alto. (which was the worst before this one). The water pressure was a joke...probably the velocity of a water fountain. Really no hot water..only warm. Hairs in the bathroom which were kind of gross. The hallways smell of musty carpet shampoo and were in desperate need of fresh air. Cottage cheese ceilings which reminded me of the '70s.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Austin at the Capitol? Share your experiences!