“Exceptional Service” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Central Texas
“Exceptional Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Here with a business conference. Valet man unloaded my bags and escorted me to front desk. Fast check in. Room was as described on line. Trouble with TV picture-repairman was there in minutes then got a free movie for the inconvenience. Family member came for visit and got complimentary parking for 3 days. Only complaint was the indoor/outdoor swimming pool-looked nasty. Very cloudy dark green and leaves all in it. Tried out the hot tub-way too hot, not very enjoyable. Overall stay was great-really good location and again the staff was exceptional.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having stayed at multiple Sheratons around the world, I know not to expect much, but this particular hotel didn't live up to the Sheraton name. Its a very business oriented hotel and staying here over a holiday weekend wasn't the best of ideas. On the flip side, I got a very cheap rate and hence it was good value for money.

- Bunch of kids (20 somethings) would party late and could be heard in the hallways late at night
- Decent pool (indoor and outdoor) with a jacuzzi/hot tub, but don't expect luxury...
- Room furnishings were decent, I would expect better bathrooms and toiletries. No fridge was annoying.
- Location: Although only a 6 block walk to 6th street, there are hotels a lot closer (albeit more expensive I guess). The walk also is not through the best streets of Austin (homeless people etc.)

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Capitol
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

As a Starwood Platinum member who travels 75% for business, I was disappointed in my recent stay at the Sheraton. I will not be returning. I have stayed at the W and at the Westin in Austin in the past. I almost always stay at the Westin Domain (15 mins north). Here are my honest feedback for this location:
- Hotel is very outdated. The rooms (floor 12) need a major uplift. The room was old and dusty, smells old. Walls are very thin. I can hear my neighbor on a conf call starting at 6am...not good.
- Club Lounge. The food is below par. The coffee is warm (not hot)...very disappointed. The server who worked here could care less...he was watching TV.
- The pool. No one was using it..the pool area looks like a cheap motel setup...sorry to say.
- The Location...not the best. Yes, it is a 6 block walk to 6th street but you are walking the worst 6 blocks where you do not feel safe. It is one mile to the closest Starbucks. This is NOT what Austin is about. There is a better side to downtown Austin where it is clean and vibrant. This location takes you to the bad part of Austin and the hotel does not have a local shuttle.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin or the W in downtown Austin
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As a Platinum member your business and feedback are critical to our success. I am glad that you mention the needed uplift as we are in the beginning phases of a renovation which will update the rooms, televisions, internet, hallways, desk chairs, pool areas and public spaces. I will make sure to look into the club lounge as it is often an area which receives great comments from our frequent business travelers who provide much of our hotel’s business. Please note that we do serve Starbucks coffee in our restaurant as well as in our coffee bar which is staffed daily by a barista which makes all of the traditional Starbucks drinks. We also use Starbucks beans in our complimentary espresso machine located in the club lounge which makes fresh hot chocolate, americanos, espressos and coffees for our Platinum members and those choosing to upgrade. Our location does tend to be more centrally located towards the historic districts of the Capitol Building, University of Texas, the Irwin Center and Stubb’s BBQ/Music Venue. We hope you will give us another try once we finish our renovation and thank you for your review!
Thanks again,
Your Sheraton Austin Team
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 7/1-7/4 and you can tell that this facility is a all business hotel. Room was nice but hotel pretty much makes no attempt to make this a retreatt feel. You would not want for a stay cation. No atmosphere here. All work and no play make this Sheraton a dull hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Norman, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The location is good. Parking garage very small and narrow. No elevator if you have to park on the last floor. Lobby not very impressive hardly any place to seat unless you use the bar.
Bed and bed linens were nice and bed very good. Not too many towels in the room and oly enough coffee for one cup. No refrigerator, that is an extra $10. Internet in the room is extra also.
$159 per night was a discounted rate and this seems high for this hotel. If I have to stay in this area again I would probably look for another hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The "Sheraton Austin at the Capitol" is a very good hotel for a city trip to Austin, conveniently situated near the downtown area. The hotel is situated at an interstate and within walking distance to downtown and the Texas State Capitol.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

To begin, let me state that I spent a total of 9 hours in the hotel, but very little of that sleeping. This is mainly due to the noise level on the 10th floor. I was in an end-cap room that had two rooms adjoining (each room had a door to the other). I thought it odd, but didn't bother me when I checked in.

The biggest problem was the noise level when my roomies started waking VERY early in the morning. Talking in a very normal voice, I could clearly hear the conversation of my next door neighbor. The walls must be paper thin. This was repeated on the other side when that neighbor turned on his TV. Thought he might have it loud when his phone rang (same ring tone as me). I got up to check my phone before I realized that was coming from the other room.

Other than that, the bedding was top-notch, typical amenities of a 3-star property (sold as a 4-star - hardly!). Slightly older property, but it's held up well. Can't beat the location for downtown or Capital business. And despite being next to I-35, the road noise was not a bother since I was at the opposite side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing WEST, furthest away from the nearby highway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you did enjoy the location of our property, the top-notch bedding, and our amenities. We know the importance of a good night of sleep and apologize that you were woken up several times during your stay. In the future, we would love to have back at our hotel and I am sure we can find you a more secluded room that you would enjoy. We hope you will be traveling back to Austin again soon and look forward to seeing you then.
Your Sheraton Austin Team

Been to Sheraton Austin at the Capitol? Share your experiences!