“Good hotel, very near UT” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 E. 11th St., Austin, TX 78701   |
Ranked #85 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good hotel, very near UT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend on a football trip -- not to the University of Texas ironically, but to Texas A&M about 2 hours away in College Station. This is pretty much the standard Sheraton -- maybe a little nicer as it has been recently renovated, and the lobby area has a Westin-like feel.

I am platinum with Starwood, so we were place on a Club floor, and had access to the Club Lounge (platinum and maybe gold access) on the 15th floor. That was a nice touch. Some Starwood clubs close on the weekends. This one had an excellent continental breakfast, free local newspapers and even some nice treats at night. The room itself had a great view, but was smallish. Austin is pretty hot even in late September, and the AC, while it worked, never got quite as cool as you would like. We could have asked to switch to another room, but didn't -- not sure if it was better at other rooms or maybe just the way Austin is.

Valet parking can be a mess at a lot of hotels, and I would have to say that the Sheraton folks did a good job of keeping cars pulled up and parked pretty quickly. It is worth noting the hotel is right next to the University of Texas. You can walk to the football stadium from the Sheraton -- a bit of a hike, but you aren't going to get to park much closer to the stadium in any event. All in all, this was a pretty good version of what you expect from a Sheraton -- not the best, but far from the worst. If you like Sheratons (which I do) you'll likely like this one too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed on the 16th Floor.

Although the room was on the smaller side, it was clean, quiet and efficiently designed.

High speed internet has been dialed down, so that's an annoying feature that could easily be fixed, if the hotel were to increase the band width.

Centraly located, easy walking distance to shops, bars, etc.

Club lounge is pretty small and a very poor selection of food (both in the evening and breakfast time).

Good gym, nice pool. The biggest downside is the air conditioning. In a city with high heat indexes, they have automatic motion sensors in the rooms. So, if you leave the room, or are motionless, the A/C cuts off. Not a smart design feature.

Room Tip: 14th, 15th and 16th floors are the ones you ideally want.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My TV was not working properly when I returned from work at 9 PM. I called the front desk once and had to call back because no one answered after about 30 rings. Upon calling back I informed them of the issue and was told it would be fixed by the time I returned from dinner. Got home same problem. Called the front desk again and they had no record of my first call and I asked for the manager and after being put on hold for 3-4 minutes I talked to the manager who told me the tech had gone home and I could either move rooms or make due. After asking if this is how they run their campsite, I was offered a trivial amount SPG points. I told them they should never insult someone with such small recompense for forcing a guest to sit in their room and stare at 4 walls. I asked for that the General Manager to call me back the next day and never got a call back.

So if you stay here, pray that your stay goes well because no one cares if something goes wrong. Management was give the opportunity to set things right and failed multiple times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to notify my staff of the issue with our television during your stay. I am sorry that no one was able to follow up with you regarding this simple fix. Our goal is to ensure every guest's stay meets their expectations. Please feel free to contact our property directly so that we can try to provide some resolution for you. Just ask for the manager on duty and we will be glad to work to make this right.

Best Regards

Dave Baxter
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

For the price we paid nothing was right. We paid $250 per night for small room with no fridge, bad customer service. There was always somethig missing or wrong. They almost made us pay for the internet and I had to have long conversation until they gave us free internet. Towels were not enough for 3 people, they delivered only once shampoo, conditioner, and soap. For the next five days we had to constantly request everything. They only deliver two bottles with water daily no matter how many people were there. On top of that their vending machine did not work. Sitting outside was sitting on a wood furniture without its pillows. When I requested them server laughed at me and left. Brought four towels to sit on after third request. Their outside pool was dirty too so I did not swim. Breakfast was cold and they had to re cook it. Oh breakfast was not included in the price. Their restaurant was over priced and for dinner did not work. Either room service or at the bar. Room service has delivery charge plus 20% tip added automatically. So 2 deserts were over $21. When you order a cocktail it's mostly soft drink and no alcohol in it. Drinks also over priced. Smokers? Bring your own ashtray because they do not provide and you will see tons of buds on the floors. By the way their room phone was not working so they had to fix it twice. Also their elevator broke and they had to fix it. Was half way open on 14th floor. Windows were super dirty and their air conditioner works even when turned off. Two of us are sick with a fever and sore throat. They also gave two coffee cups and cups per day even if 3-4 people stay. We had to request daily plus creamer. Their door room was not closing right so we had to have it fixed. The shower was leaking and spraying water all over so they had to fix that too.

Never going there again. I should of paid $50 per night not $250.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this detailed feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. Our goal is to ensure all of our guests are 100% satisfied with their room as well as the service they are provided. Please feel free to contact us directly at any time to discuss further the problems you encountered and we will work to make it right! We have a manager on duty that is present 24 hours a day to assist you should you wish to reach out to us. We hope we can connect with you soon.

Best Regards

Dave Baxter
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I just check into the Sheraton in Austin and had a fantastic experience. I was greeted by the most helpful, and friendly person. Her name is Ester Acosta. Anyone staying at the Sheraton in Austin should ask for Ester by name. She went above and beyond to make my stay in Austin enjoyable.

Thanks Ester, you're the best!

Cheyenne, Wyoming, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights, we went down for a football game. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Mike Rodriguez was happy to accomodate us in any way. The rooms were outdated but very clean. Would stay at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This place was fine, and it's best feature is its location, and I sort of think thye know it! The rooms were nice, but small, including the bathrooms. The other facilities were adequate. Internet is expensive and parking was sort of a nightmare. At one point, there were about 30 cars blocked in the parking garage because the automatic exit gate stoped working and wouldn't let anyone out! That took around 10 minutes to resolve, which was frustrating, especially after paying for parking.

Room Tip: The higher your floor, the better your view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Austin at the Capitol? Share your experiences!