“Average- Not 4 stars, but 3.5” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 E. 11th St., Austin, TX 78701   |
Ranked #84 of 191 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“Average- Not 4 stars, but 3.5”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This place was fine, and it's best feature is its location, and I sort of think thye know it! The rooms were nice, but small, including the bathrooms. The other facilities were adequate. Internet is expensive and parking was sort of a nightmare. At one point, there were about 30 cars blocked in the parking garage because the automatic exit gate stoped working and wouldn't let anyone out! That took around 10 minutes to resolve, which was frustrating, especially after paying for parking.

Room Tip: The higher your floor, the better your view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Bahamas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Our stay at Sheraton was simply wonderful, I stay here for six nights, the hotel was beautiful, check in was simple and quick, the room was clean and spacious. Sixth street is about three blocks away, a wonderful experience. There is also a Wendys and CVS Pharmacy that is about a 20 minute walk. The staff was very helpful with directions. I would stay here again. O the bed was just super!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
dallas diva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here on way to San Antonio. It was a great relaxing stay. The lounge is a nice touch with 2 hot appetizers cheese plate and veggies in the evening. They have a stocked refrigerator with juice, soda, and water. There was enough so we didn't need to go out to dinner. The breakfast the next morning also had ham and cheese roll ups and wrapped sausage (hot). The guest services where wonderful and they even remembered my birthday with a great gift and a upgrade. Thanks again.

Room Tip: You can get a capital of Texas view. Lounge worth the money for a family.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here very much. Pool is great, nice and cool! Staff are very helpful and attentive, we are not from the US so needed quite a few pointers, which they were more than happy to help us with. We enjoyed the bar, the lovely waitress Jen was especially lovely! All in all, nothing at all to complain about, except maybe the location was a tad too far out to walk during the day in the heat!! Great experience all round, would recommend.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed this past weekend for the Texas football game. Hotel was located close to the stadium which made it easy to walk or catch a cab. The 6th street area is also within walking distance. The staff at the hotel, lounge, and restaurant were very friendly and attentive. The breakfast buffet was also pretty good. My only complaint was the reception on certain TV channels (ESPN included) was not very good. All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Austin in April during a college reunion. I was staying under a discounted rate and have worked in the front office at a hotel before, so I begrudgingly understood that a full hotel meant that my 6foot+ friend and 6foot2 I would be sharing a king bed. This was pretty much the only kink in a great stay.

I checked in at 11am, so I knew that my room wouldn't be ready when I got there. However, the change in bedding was not explained to me by the person checking me in (who, I believe, was the front office manager). Instead, the poor front desk agent was faced with that task. However, the agent (Erwin?) was great and even gave me club lounge access for the booking change. He was very courteous, and having worked at a front desk I know how difficult those situations can be.

The rooms were quite nice and surprisingly quiet. The location is nice and very close to restaurants and 11th St. However, one thing that surprised me was the large number of homeless people in the area. It didn't make me feel unsafe, but was surprising.

The real jewel of the hotel is the Club Lounge. While the lounge and snacks themselves are nice, the staff (Reba and a young gentleman with glasses whose name escapes me) were incredible. They were always happy to help and gave excellent advice when they assessed what kind of nightlife we sought. They were also both very funny and took part in our mindless banter.

I did eat the buffet breakfast my final morning and was very happy with the options.

In summary, the hotel is nice and the location is good, but the staff makes this hotel a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

While the hotel accommodations were very nice, there was one problem. When traveling I like to use the Bibles placed by the Gideons. When I found none in my room I called the front desk and asked for housekeeping to bring me one. Housekeeping said all the Bibles had been removed from the rooms and they did not know why. They said they would see if they could find one. Several hours later they called back and said they could not find one single Bible in the entire hotel.

When making my next reservation I will check with the hotel and make sure they provide this service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel during your stay. I apologize that we did not have the amenity you requested. I am working with our housekeeping department to ensure that we have a stock of Gideon's Bibles on hand. I hope you will return and I can ensure that this amenity will be available upon your request. Thank you for your feedback!

Warm Regards

You Sheraton Austin Team

Been to Sheraton Austin at the Capitol? Share your experiences!