“really great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Stay More Save More
Ranked #64 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“really great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

maybe because EVERYONE in Austin is friendly, I found my weeklong stay here fabulous. The amenites are 4 star. It was clean and well maintained. The bar was lively and mixed good drinks. The food even surprised me. (I only ate one in the restaurant, but had our convention catered for 3 days). I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
DFW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here Sun-Wed of this week. It was the hub's b-day, so we booked a Balcony room. We were hoping to be upgraded to a suite, but that didn't happen. :-( They did give us 4 free drink coupons at the bar tho...

Our "first" room was 1602. It was a very average hotel room, great view out the floor to ceiling of Town Lake & downtown Austin, wall to wall windows. The balcony door was loose & there was a simple slide lock on the door. The balcony is about 4 ft deep & the width of the room. There are concrete dividers between the rooms, which make it somewhat private, but all one has to do is lean over the railing & look into other balconies. There were two chairs & a small glass top table.

We learned very quickly that our neighbors (we had a connecting door) we VERY LOUD. There were several people there and a child. We could hear EVERY word they said thru the door. They were laughing & carrying on so, that we went downstaris & told the desk clerk. He promptly moved us to another room.... 1610. This room was identical to the other in every way, except no connecting door. It was much quieter tho. :-)

The room & bathroom was clean, the bed comfy. But the room decor is tired, the furniture out of date, and the wallpaper was dull & peeling in several places. The rooms need a complete make-over. There is evidence that that will soon be underway.

There is construction in front of the hotel, but it didn't hinder us in any way.

The pool is a saltwater pool, Clean & clear. The pool desperately needs to be redone. The concrete was missing between the pool & the coping in many places. You can only hear the music (which was nice) if you sit close to the main building.... if you go to the other end (away from all the kids)... you can't even hear it. (I brought my iPod the second day).

We were able to see the Bats fly from the Congress St Bridge from our balcony, that was cool!

The public areas are nice & there is plenty of room to hang. Great patio, too.

Self Parking is $17 per night + Tax (although it states it's $14 online) and Valet was $24 per night + tax ($21 online).

We paid a premium price for this hotel & I don't mind it as long as I feel I am getting something special...this hotel was not anything special.

We have decided we won't stay here again until they have refurrbed it. It's too old & outdated to charge the price they charge.... You are only paying for the location.

Room Tip: Book the room you want, because they are stingy with upgrades.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Solid, nice hotel. It is not 5stars but it is very nice. Location is amazing--right on the river with a VERY nice running path right outside. The "bat bridge" is just right outside the window so that is really neat. They have a very nice staff and a very good breakfast offering.

I will say I drove right by the entrance initially. There is a lot of construction and the sign for the entrance was not well lit. My only other complaint is that it was almost impossible to get anyone but the operator on the phone...valet, front desk, etc...forgetaboutit...

All in all, I would not hesitate one bit to stay here again and would actually quite like to...

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the river side overlooking downtown...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

First of all, I'd like to give a heads up to people out there who are considering this hotel: The outside grounds are undergoing major construction. They're building a parking garage, so it's, well, under heavy construction.

But on to the actual property, the people are friendly there and the hotel looks nice. To be frank, the newer Hyatt Places have better rooms. But the amenities at this Regency are very nice. They had the best gym that I've seen in years. Go figure, I didn't actually use it though! Nobody was ever in there when I walked past... the pool is small but the location, right on the river, is scenic and enjoyable.

As far as the room, that's where this hotel loses points in my book. To be fair, we booked a bit late, but nonetheless, our view was poor. We only stayed on the 5th floor and our view consisted of the top of a part of the hotel and really nothing else. It's probably the worst view I've had in a nicer hotel in memory. So, if I were to stay here again I would definitely make an effort to get a better view. The good news is, is that I didn't spend much time in the room.

All in all, I liked the place because the location was great but I don't think I would stay there again. I'll probably be more willing to try the Hyatt Place a couple blocks away in the prime downtown area.

Room Tip: If you're on a lower floor then get a river view. Otherwise, you may end up with a view to regre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grapevine, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

There is construction on two sides and it could be hard to park. BUT Hyatt valet parked convention goers' cars. Awesome service, VERY comfy room with a desk, quiet room and the best breakfast buffet around make this a good choice for downtown Austin. I requested an upgraded room online and got a higher corner room overlooking the lake and bat bridge. Sign up for Passport Member card. I would not like to face the construction, but you cannot hear noise from it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We've stayed in many Hyatt hotels in many cities, and this one does not really live up to its name or reputation.

As we were travelling for a month we had two large bags with us, and were unhappy that our room had some hanging space but no drawers for our personal effects. When you are staying for a week that makes quite a difference. We asked (and were happy to pay for) a room upgrade, but found that all rooms in the hotel are the same size! It would not hurt them to put a chest of four drawers in some of the rooms at least -- there was space in our room to do so.

Of great concern is the lack of supervision of rowdy guests who spent a little too much time at the bar, or are just enjoying themselves and talking and laughing loudly as people do. The problem is that the bar and dining room are on the ground floor at the base of an open triangle design building, so all that noise floats upwards and disturbs the guests trying to sleep. And that noise gets louder as it rises and is magnified. OK early in the evening perhaps, but not after 10.30 p.m. On three nights out of five we had to call the front desk and ask security to quieten those inconsiderate and noisy people in the bar area.

The Hyatt must know this happens often with an open atrium design hotel, and should have security staff there every night to keep and eye on the dining room and bar and keep the peace. A quite word before things get too noisy would usually suffice.

One of the things travellers value is a good night's sleep, and the Hyatt in Austin has to make sure guests can have that every time, not just some of the time.

The bathroom is OK but very small -- not much they can do about that I guess.

Room Tip: Ask at the front desk when you check in whether they have decided to supervise rowdy guests in the b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, your opinions are very important to us. We do make a point to post signs on the floors for quiet hours and limit the music in the bar area as well as have security on hand. We apologize for not meeting your standards and hope you'll give us another chance to prove our service skills. Again, thank you for sharing your concerns, we are always looking for ways to help improve guest experience here.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in late June for a long weekend. This was our 3rd visit to this hotel in the last 6 years, and we have been pleased with our stay each time. The hotel is located right on Lady Bird (Town) Lake, and the running/biking path that surrounds it. It is very convenient to the Convention Center, Long Center, and boating/kayaking rentals. Our king room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a large mirror with plenty of counter space and a good shower. The beds are very comfortable. They are in the process of building a large parking garage next to the hotel. There is no construction on the weekends, and the noise was a complete non- issue for us during the weekday. The pool is a little small, but the hotel was not overly crowded while we were there so we were able to relax and enjoy it. The fitness center is well equipped and clean.
The food in the hotel's SWB restaurant in this hotel is pretty good, and we were glad to see that they still have the breakfast buffet which is always a good choice. We also noticed a big improvement in the bar service since our last visit, in terms of service and friendliness. I definitely recommend taking an evening cocktail outside, while enjoying views of the lake and the city.
This hotel is always our first choice when visiting Austin, and this most recent stay certainly did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Austin? Share your experiences!