“Better Than We Expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4892 US Highway 290 W, Sunset Valley, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #103 of 193 Hotels in Austin
Tustin, California
“Better Than We Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have to admit, after reading some of the reviews I was concerned about staying here, but we were visiting relatives, and this was the closest hotel. I am VERY picky about where we stay, and usually select Westin, Marriott, Loews, etc., but location was important for this trip. Having spent three nights here, I really don't get all the lukewarm reviews. This is what we found:

ROOM: Clean, equipped with all necessities (not luxurious, but certainly comfortable and serviceable), comfortable bed, truly wonderful shower

STAFF: Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful. No complaints.

COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST: not gourmet, but a large selection with something for everyone. There was a good selection of cereal, breads and pastries, yogurt, juice, and hot selections (bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy). Would have been nice to have some fresh fruit, but there were always apples (a chocolate chip cookies) available in the lobby.

LOCATION: I don't know why people were concerned about the neighborhood other than the hotel is set apart in a business area, not a hotel or recreational area. Seemed very safe and was quiet. The only location problem we had was that our rental car's GPS couldn't find the hotel. I would recommend you call in advance and get directions.

I would definitely recommend to a friend that they stay here unless they are looking for something romantic or special. When we are back in Austin to visit family, I won't hesitate to book here.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed there for 3 days this April. It is in a convenient location, with Ample parking and easy access to 290/71, although it is a few miles from downtown. The rooms are standard HI-X quality and size, so no surprises either good or bad there. The hotel amenities are also fairly standard, but the breakfast buffet is a bit lacking, and there is no onsite restaurant, so plan to eat elsewhere. The kids loved the pool, but did notice there were no towels poolside, so plan on having dripping wet children running through the halls. All in all if I were staying for more than a couple of days, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Captain_Road_Trip,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the facilities we offer to our guests. Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I called and asked all the questions we normally do but this time I learned my lesson!
1. Yes they have a pool but it's outside and not heated.
2. Yes they have a fitness room but it's closed for now.
3. They do not have laundry facilities & had no idea where the closest laundry mat was-thank you google.
4. They do not have shuttle service so if you don't drive be prepared for cab service, (you can not safely walk anywhere from the hotel because of it's location)
5. It would have been nice to know they were undergoing extensive renovations.
Next time we come to Austin we will NOT be staying here.
(The few staff we did encounter were nice but in no way made any effort to help any of our situations)

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Kc8qzc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Kc8qzc,

Ferdinand G.
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We plugged the hotel's address into 3 different GPS devices, and none of them could take us there. We drove up and down and under and up and down and back around at least five times and we not only could we not find it, we couldn't see it.

We were on the 1 and then on 290 and then 360 and then the services roads and in the u-turn lanes and back up a different service road and down onto the highway and exiting and down another service road etc. It took us a solid hour of driving up and turning around and coming back to spot it. One of the problems is that the sign for the hotel is tiny, thin blue lettering up near the roof. Some architect probably thought it was very smart looking, but when you're driving the MOPAC at 70 mph and the service roads at 65 you want to find a big holiday inn sign.

The hotel is standard. It's fine. But I'd never stay there again. Well, I couldn't stay there again. I still don't understand how to get there.

Room Tip: Go to LaQuinta. It's much easier to locate.
Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear I_Notice_Everything,

Thank you for your review of our hotel regarding your stay. You feedback is very important to us as this is our primary source in improving guest services.

I deeply regret that you didn't find our location to be convenient and sorry to hear that you had a hard time finding us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and dissatisfaction this has caused you.

Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by the hotel's management team and will be used to reconsider improvements. We all hope that you will still give us the chance to welcome you back and allow us to redeem your faith in our hotel.

Dhan M
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel in undergoing a major renovation, however the staff goes way out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. Kimberly at the front desk is great. Usually a front desk person is just filling a spot. Kimberly is bright, cheerful and so willing to please. Much kudos to her and this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very bad air conditioning, (I stay in HIE for good air conditioning) touchy toilet (took forever to fill), and so, so beds. Also very isolated (could not see sign until right on top of it) with no security. Construction everywhere. Unfriendly staff. I hope they get more resturants (for breakfast) or businesses around them as the only plus was it was close to my son's home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Debi G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Debi G,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel. We are sorry sorry you were not fully satisfied with the room accommodation and for any inconvenience caused you during your stay. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving our hotel and services to our guests. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Yes, this place is under construction, but it was still a wonderful place. It wasn't perfect. We had a temperamental A/C unit, toilet ran constantly (couldn't hear it unless the door was open), and jerks slamming their door at 4 a.m. 7 TIMES --BUT-- The staff was polite. Our room was clean. The mattress was great and free of bed bugs. Sheets were clean and there was NO hair on my bed or anywhere else. The breakfast was decent. There was a constant presents of police. I got a call shortly after arriving home that I had left my wallet on the bed. They are mailing it to me. I definitely think we will be back. I think they should consider installing a bar.

Room Tip: You do hear highway noise if facing the highway. It wasn't bad, but you could still hear it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple