“Not bad, not great.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Tampa, Florida
“Not bad, not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My brother and I stayed at this property for 4 nights. The hotel itself is nicely designed with a atrium, restaurant, indoor/outdoor pool, hot tub, and of course rooms. We booked through Priceline, so our price was great. I would not pay rack rate for this property.

Location:
Generally the hotel is in a good location, but the entry/exit can be tricky. Once you have that down it is not a bad spot. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and shopping in the Arboretum area of Austin.

Hotel:
Not bad, but not up to the standards of other Holiday Inns I have stayed at. One really odd fact is that the entrance of the hotel does not have automatic or double doors. This is not really a problem, but I have not stayed in a hotel without a sliding main entrance door (or revolving door) for over 10 years. For a motel 6 that would be fine, but this is a supposedly renovated Holiday Inn.

Rooms:
Very comfortable bed, desk, TV, alarm/clock, etc. The bathroom was OK, it could use a remodel though. The tile is a bit dated and the hot water took forever (if at all) to get hot. It was very clean though. I found the AC loud, it woke me up almost every time it came on...but it did work well.

Parking:
Plenty of on site parking.

Pool:
Interesting indoor/outdoor pool with a swim through to get outside. The pool was closed until our last day, but it was nice. There is also an indoor hot tub.

Gym:
Decent for a hotel gym. Treadmill, bicycle, and a multi-weight/exercise machine. There were also TWO free weights....a 10LB and 45LB. Odd that there were only the two size weights and they are on the further extremes of size. It would be better to have one set of 20 or 25 LB weights.

WiFi:
Fast and free.

TV:
Plenty of channels and they all worked great.

Overall:
Overall this is a nice hotel and if you get a deal it is good. I would not pay the rack rate though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
dthompson72, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin NW Plaza/Arboretum, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Steve - Thank you for the kind words. You will be pleased to know that we are working through the remaining capitol projects for 2012 and an automatic front door is on the list!

In the interim, we do our best to cover the lobby with managers to open the doors for our guests. I like that touch as well...

Please enjoy your future travels...and let me know if you are ever back in Austin.
Donn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This Holiday Inn is what it is, a Holiday Inn. It's a little difficult to get to, but otherwise it's not a bad hotel. The inside is nice and the room was clean. The bathroom had been painted fairly recently and there was a slight paint odor, but nothing unbearable. There was a large family in the room next to me and they were rather noisy, but I can't fault the hotel for that. The staff at the front desk were very helpful. My tv didn't work and the maintenance staff arrived quickly and took care of the problem. Parking was adequate. I really have no complaints. It was a nice hotel for the price I paid through Hotwire and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback; we work really hard to provide a consistently clean and friendly environment. Although we do not receive noise complaints very often, we do have a process in place to assist in those situations. Feel free to reach out to our team andwe will gladly handle in a courteous and professional manner.

We would love a chance to serve you again, let me know when you are traveling in next!
dallas, tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We saved a few bucks booking this hotel sight unseen through priceline. It was one of the cheaper 3 star hotels in the area and it just was "eh" at best. The staff at the front desk were grumpy and frumpy, and the room was just about the same. The bathroom really could have used a fresh coat of paint and some updates - when we got there the room next door was getting painted so we had about an hour of bumping and knocking noises before they left. Not a big deal and it didn't smell like paint, which was a bonus. We were on the second floor with a lovely view of the parking lot, although you are not far off the highway so there's not much in terms of views at all. There were some odd hot water issues as well. Nothing to complain about, but it did go in and out as we were using the sink and it took a bit for the shower to warm up.

And speaking of location, the hotel is oddly located off two highways so it's not exactly easy to get to it, and requires some maneuvering through a residential neighborhood. Luckily, there's tons of food options (TORCHY'S) nearby because the restaurant is closed during the week for anything except for breakfast.

The pool is indoors, which is nice if you actually want an indoor pool, but the smell of chlorine attacks you when you enter. Also, there are no automatic doors to the hotel so taking your luggage in and out is a bit of a chore.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
dthompson72, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin NW Plaza/Arboretum, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience; we strive for excellence and fell short of those expectations of ourself. We would like the opportunity to provide you a much better experience; so please reach out to me directly on your next visit. (You might also still have my cell number provided in your check in packet).

Our guests satisfaction is the most important part of our job. We hope you allow us another chance to demonstrate how much we care.

Donn and Team
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Yes it is a holiday inn, but I still expect more. Fitness room is not great, two weights, 10 lbs and 45lbs, so take your pick. For those over 6 ft tall, i don't recommend the treadmill. If you have to, make sure the incline is set to 0. Hotel tv sucked, some channels had no volume BUT they went thru a change of satalite providers during my stay so perhaps that is an upgrade. Don't recommend breakfast at the hotel, 35 min after ordering my omlet we just walked out. I'm not sure if they had to go to Denver to get the Denver Omlet. The location was a little tricky even with a GPS. Other than that, it was fine. As a Platinum member I do expect a little more and I realize it wasn't a crown plaza or IC property but C'Mon Man - Bring me my omlet!

Room Tip: Rooms are fine, its the overall package of the hotel that is a problem
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
First of all, I would like to thank you for being a platinum member. We are very sorry your stay was not 5 star. I have reviewed your feedback with my F&B Leadership team and we agree your experience is not acceptable.

Since your stay, we have made some exciting changes that I beleive will impact your future stays with us.
- We have identified a priority club champion whose role it is to serve our priority club guests from reservation to billing. Her name is Michelle, if she can be of any assistance now or in the future.
- We have started staffing a food expeditor in the kitchen during peak times. This will assist in improving the attention our servers on the floor as well as reduce ticket times in the kitchen.
- We have ordered new dumbells for our excercise room. Unfortunately, from time to time people REALLY like them and take them home.
- Our satellite television just went fully High Def and we doubled our channels. Sounds like your stayed was during that conversion. Please accept our apologies.

I would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here with a small child. Got the reservation through Priceline (name your price). Hotel is not close to much but it is located off a main route (Mopac Hwy). Short drive to Chikfila and few other fast food places. Room was clean, crib was adequate, ordered a frig and microwave (would have cost $10 extra per day) total rip off if it hadnt been free. Ceiling in bathroom area was a little weird, the tiles were popping out and the area had a funny smell. We lived with it, however I noticed it. Desk staff was very friendly and helpful, cold beverages were available in the lobby daily. Lastly, do not book a room that views the "atruim", it actually overlooks the dining hall and offers no natural sunlight.

Room Tip: Do not book a room that overlooks the "atrium".
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Midland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel was a great choice for my business trip to Austin! Huge room with lots of desk space. Comfortable bed and quiet atmosphere provided just the rest needed to tackle training and certiification tests!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

The lobby of the hotel was very pleasant and the room's furniture has been updated with a modern flair and a flat screen tv. However, the bathroom really needs work. The grout was dirty and the caulk around the tub was reapplied pretty sloppily. The shower curtain also had a couple of tears in it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
dthompson72, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin NW Plaza/Arboretum, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. We trust your service experience was great as well. As a result of your feedback, I have requested a full inspection of shower curtains and tub caulk and replace any items that do not meet our high standards. Feel free to reach out to me directly with any other feedback you feel would help improve the experience of our future guests.

Donn Thompson

Been to Holiday Inn Austin NW Plaza/Arboretum? Share your experiences!