“Nice facade, many many flaws” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704 (South Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Austin Parking Savings
Ranked #35 of 182 hotels in Austin
New York City, New York
“Nice facade, many many flaws”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel is beautiful at first look but after staying a few days, I've noticed many shortcomings. I was given one of the end suites with both rooms having windows facing outside, except the views are terrible. The biggest problem was the infestation of ants in the bathroom. They were the small ants that you wouldn't notice at first, but there was quite a lot. The parking garage is an annoying walk around the back of the building. You also have to park on level 3 and above, and it is very dark and sketchy. Eventually, as a female, I paid for the valet parking. Because the parking garage is around the back of the street, the valet always took a long time to get the car to the lobby. The reception is always short staffed. It always takes a while before someone answers, both in person and on the phone. Their service was also not great. The receptionists were never happy, they looked annoyed and seemed to hate their job. The sheets also had weird stains on them. The climate control isn't great. The wifi is passable.

There are good things too. The rooms are huge; they're two room suites. The fitness center is very nice. It has 5 cardio machines and lots of weights. The breakfast was nice; there's a chef that makes omelets for everyone and it comes with potatoes and meat. There's a lot of yogurt, fruit, bread, oatmeal and drinks. The location is good, an ok walk to downtown across the bridge.

Room Tip: Corner suites are huge with windows facing outside.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JodySmith, General Manager at Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this opportunity to me and allowing me to follow up with our pest control company, ensuring that you and future guests are taken care of. We also apologize for the poor service you received. If I can assist you further, certainly let me know. Thank you.

447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

stayed here for both pleasure and business for a couple of days. The business portion was meetings at the Radisson across Bat Bridge. Very easy walk, and only 10 minutes at a leisurely pace. Breakfast and two room suites are the best reasons to stay at Embassy Suites. This hotel is a short drive from the airport, and and a couple of restaurants are right around the corner. Riverside Drive is half a block away, and within a couple of miles there are numerous fast food restaurants. The Lion's Municipal Golf Course is a couple of miles from the hotel and accepts walk ons. Good location, Good hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel needs some updating. Gives the appearance of dark and dingy but it is clean. Rooms are ok. the hotel is a couple blocks off of action. Restaurants are several blocks away from hotel. Happy hour and breakfast are ok. Guy who makes breakfast is great and makes the start of the day with a smile.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JodySmith, General Manager at Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest suite appearance is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.
Kind Regards,
Jody Smith
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Hands down, can't be beat if you need a place to stay with a group if friends or by yourself. Lets start with the location and price. Not too expensive and terrific location close to downtown and the trendy area of south congress. Second, there are three free things that embassy suites here does that will keep me coming back. Free shuttle(make sure you tip the drivers) buffet breakfast, and to top it off...happy hour drinks to all guests, amazing!!

Rooms were super clean and the housekeeping staff is awesome as well. They are so nice, as I had my clothes all over the floor and they folded and placed them back into my open suite case. I mean amazing, what house keeping staff would do that. You guys rock!!

Overall, perfect hotel with terrific service and great amenities.

• Stayed October 2012
JodySmith, General Manager at Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Marcello P,
First off, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Austin and took time to enjoy the amenities here at the Hotel as well. I will pass on your kind remarks to all of the staff, particularly the housekeeping department. To hear the word perfect in your description of your stay means a lot and it is what we are constantly aiming for in guest satisfaction. Please come back and visit us soon!
Kind Regards,
Jody Smith
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was my first time in Austin, so I was completely unfamiliar with the location. I had training at the Hyatt Regency, but after some Google searches I found the Embassy Suites. I always have pleasant experiences at ES, so this was ideal. Before booking, I called the local number and confirmed that the ES was as close as it looked and they assured me it was. They were correct, it was just a parking lot away.

The room was large and well appointed. I had to do some work the afternoon I checked in, and found the workspace to be good. The bathroom was good with a large walk-in shower; good water pressure and temperature. I also like the Crabtree & Evelyn tolietries. The bed was very comfortable - lots of pillows and comfortable bedding.

Breakfast was good each morning - made to order as advertised. The managers reception is generally why I book the ES. It's a nice and inexpensive way to wind down after a tough day. To my surprise, one of my favorite microbrews was on tap. There is a restaurant on site - not my favorite menu, but I'm a really simple eater - I ended up with pizza one night and a kids grilled cheese another night. My only complaint is that you cannot bring in outside food during the manager reception because they have a restuarant on-site (pls note, I was NOT in the restuarant when told this). Which I certainly wouldn't have had a problem with if their menu was appealing to all, not to mention when staying multiple nights, you need variety. I was traveling alone, so being able to say in during the evenings was my preference.

Most of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I wanted to check in for my flight and print my boarding pass, but someone was in the business center and did not appear to be in any hurry. When I checked to see if the internet kiosk's in the lobby printed, I was told no; however the front desk agent offer to help me. She even helped me get a better seat assignment.

It's a good location. Near the "Bat" bridge, if you have any interest in that. There are a few bars/restuarants very nearby. Seemed to have to good access to the airport. 6th Street fun is just on the other side of the bridge.

The on-site gift shop came in very handy - after waking up with a cold my first morning there, it was great to have cold medicine nearby and not have to wander the streets of Austin for a Walgreens.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor, facing downtown Austin - it was quiet with a great view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times on business related trips, but this month was the best. The newly renovated rooms are awesome! I love the bed! And my favorite part is the Crabtree & Evelyn bath products :)

4* coz' the breakfast could be better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites in downtown Austin. My husband was attending a conference nearby. We chose this hotel rather than the conference hotel for the upgraded free breakfast at Embassy Suites and the few dollars a night more that we paid was worth it.

Embassy Suites made us feel welcome from the time we arrived. There was always flavored water in the lobby on the days when it was warm and coffee on the last day when it turned cool and rainy.

The "made to order" breakfast was just as advertised. Everyone was able to get what they wanted for breakfast and it was constantly being restocked, tables cleared, etc. Happy hour in the evenings was the same.

Our king suite was very spacious and allowed one of us to work while the other one slept uninterrupted. The shower was large and had lots of hot water and good pressure. My only complaint was the cricket in my room - just the luck of the draw.

All things considered, I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Embassy Suites Austin - Downtown/Town Lake Austin Texas? Share your experiences!