“Mold Mold Mold” 1 of 5 stars

In Room WiFi
Ranked #80 of 187 Hotels in Austin
“Mold Mold Mold”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

I was here at this hotel for work for a few weeks. I have been VERY sick from dizziness to nausea. Sleepless nights to numbness in the body. I really thought that it was the Austin weather that was making me sick. Nope! I found so much mold through out my whole room. There was a hole in the room with mold coming out of it. I felt better when I left, and got horribly sick when I came back to the room. I took many pictures of all the mold that I could find. When I told the manager, he just told me that stuff like this is common!!! Are you kidding me? No that is not common, not when you get sick like that. The cleaning people should notice things like this and tell but they dont. Fill up one of the coffee mugs with water and take a look at all the oil and crap that starts to float in there. Dont believe me? Take a look at your bed sheets when you check in and tell me that there arent other body hairs on there that are not yours. I moved to another room and same thing. I took all my photos of everything that I saw. You are better off sleeping in a Motel 6 than this place. They are obviously not doing their job here. This is my opinion. The only reason that I stayed here is because my company had already paid a lot of money for this expense and I did not want to cause a lot of headache. Lots of mold every where. This is not just a bad experience, this has happened before, it just took me a while to realize that it was the mold kicking my but and making me sicker than a dog. The cracks, doors, vents, all have mold running up and down all around them. Keep a can of Lysol with you, that stuff works like magic, I swear on that, it worked for me instantly. My sickness went away right when I sprayed it all over the room. I did send a letter to the Embassy Suites guest relations department, and you know what they did? They forwarded my email to the management here at the hotel. That could not have been such a upsetting move they could have done. I already talked to them, why send them something that they already know about. I sent the guest relations department an email to get something done, all they did was make matters more upsetting for me. Guest relations did absolutly nothing for me!!
The breakfast is good though. A lot of the staff is nice and will help you if you need help with anything. This is a very noisy hotel no if noise does bother you, this place might not be your best bet, not for the price anyway.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Alexandria, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

I just returned from a three day stay here on buisness and I thought it was great. My room was quiet, clean and well appointed. The bed was even comfortable. The selection and quality of the free breakfast was more than adequate. Same goes for the cocktail hour. I was attending a training course in one of the hotel meeting rooms and was treated to lunch at the hotel each day. The quality of the lunch far exceeded anything I've had in similar hotels. I was really suprised. No rubber chicken. The building is clean and well maintained. The staff freindly and helpful. For the $100 per night I spent I would say it was the best hotel bargain I've gotten in a long time. I've gotten far less for a lot more. Beware, it is tricky to get to. The highways around Austin are like driving in a pinball machine. You've got to stay on your toes.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2005

We have stayed in Embassy Suites hotels for years. In fact, when we travel, we hunt a room at Embassy Suites before checking elsewhere. I am not exaggerating when I say that the experience we had at this particular hotel was so horrible we will never stay at an Embassy Suites again.

The hotel is in need of a renovation, which the front desk manager told me would begin in November. The hotel isn't clean. It is quite dated and the rooms show it. The water pressure in the showers is nonexistent. This is fine if you have thin, short hair, but a tragedy if you have an 18-inch naturally curly thick MANE like I have. The shower was such a beating.

Stuff that went right: Check-in was easy and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast was average, but the food was fresh and served at the appropriate temperature. The climate-control system in the rooms worked perfectly. The elevators are quick and abundant.

Our problems were as follows. We asked for a quiet room and got a room facing I-35. Room 726. We heard ambulances, freeway traffic, horns honking, yelling in the parking lot, etc. I got no sleep, but not just because of the freeway. The bed (a Serta Perfect Sleeper) was hard as a rock. Easily the hardest bed I've ever experienced. I called the front desk and explained my disappointment about the noise and the bed. The manager offered to move us to another room, and he also found an egg crate to put on the bed. He interjected that guests complain about the beds all the time and that was part of the renovation to be done in the fall. He also said that he wouldn't charge me for that night's stay-- very nice of him.

So we switched rooms, to the 4th floor from the 7th floor. I'm mentioning the floors only because if you're allergic to cigarette smoke as I am, you do not want to be on the 4th floor. The 3rd floor is a smoking floor, and the poor ventilation system in the hotel causes the smoke to infiltrate the rooms on the 4th floor. Our room absolutely reeked of smoke.

We left the balcony open for half a day, hoping to get rid of the stench. This did not help at all. At 10pm when we returned to our hotel room after a day of sightseeing, the smoke smell was overpowering. We called the front desk and the receptionist told us that she could move us to the 9th floor, facing the highway, and that was the only option other than switching hotels. We decided at that moment to just leave the hotel the next morning.

Good thing, too, because I woke up about every hour choking from the cigarette smoke. I got about 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours at that hotel. The egg crate did help the bed situation in the new room, by the way.

When I checked out, the receptionist asked how my stay was and I related the aforementioned events to her. She charged me NOTHING for the room that night-- so we paid nothing for a two-day stay there. I think the staff wants to do their best at customer service but they are limited by a run-down hotel.

If you are going to Austin and have your heart set on Embassy Suites, don't stay at this one. The one at the Arboretum is MUCH newer and nicer, but tourists have figured this out and so it is sometimes difficult to get a room there.

• Stayed July 2005
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2005

Not a terrible experience for a business traveler, but I expected more from this hotel. Upsides? Clean and close to the highway. Downsides? Several.

When I walked in the front door, I immediately recognized what Hilton was going for. “Hotel’s in the Southwest? Let’s outfit it in a retro hacienda style, complete with terracotta and blue glazed tiles!” Sounds nice, but to me it was oddly jarring given that this is a high-rise hotel with all the rooms anchored off of a central courtyard with glass elevators – you know the type. Didn’t work for me, but yeah, I know, not a big deal.

A little more relevant was the service at the front desk. The gentleman who checked me in clearly didn’t know the drill. Seemed half a beat off and a little underprepared. As I stood in line, one of his colleagues reminded him of protocol: have each guest sign the form and initial the rate. (Pretty standard for someone at the front desk!) Then, less than a minute later, I had to ask “so, what are you guys charging me?” Not impressed. At least he remembered to tell me about the free breakfast from 6 to 9.

The suite itself was adequate, though lighting was subpar. Walking in, you enter the “living room” with sofa, TV and kitchenette (complete with window to the hall). Thank goodness the curtains on that window are nice and thick. If you stay here, please remember that the sheer curtain is not enough!

The bedroom also had lighting issues, but the bigger concern was the noise from the highway – easily audible even from my perch on the 10th floor. Ask for a room on the other side of the building!

Would stay there again in a pinch, but there are several other hotels nearby. I’ll be checking them out on my next trip to Austin.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for one week. We stayed in a King-size bed with a fold-out sofa bed. I really enjoyed my stay and it is convenient to many businesses. Trying to get to it can be a little tricky! This also was my first time in Texas...and the highways and one-way streets can be quite confusing! The hotel is located on a one-way street. The hotel appearance was very nice. The hotel staff was friendly. I stayed in room #303. It was a nice room, but a little too close to the elevators, you can hear the dinging of the elevators from our room. There are very small balconies (can't even fit a chair on them), but it has enough standing room to breathe a little fresh Texas air. During the weekend, there was a huge group of college kids here for some kind of track meet. They were loud & bothersome. But, weekdays were quite & relaxing. Here is an overview of the hotel:

Lobby: 4 stars - Very nice; complementary internet access for 15 minutes on the PC with DSL or high-speed; Maps of the Austin area by the front desk; Nice arrangement of furniture; Waterfall with fish in the courtyard; very peaceful

Bathrooms: 4 stars: extremely clean & but kind of small

Rooms: 5 stars: nice layout: two televisions (one 19' in bedroom and 32" in living room area), kitchen sink, second sink and mirror by the beds, mini-fridge (which didn't keep our food very cold), sofabed (which we never used), bed (king-size) nice & comfortable.

Dining: We did not eat at Lynx steakhouse (their restaurant),
however I give the complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast 4 stars: on the weekdays the breakfast is steady, but not too busy and they can add a lot of extra's to your omlettes. But on the weekends, the lines are long, it is loud and noisy and you can only add ham & cheese to your omlettes. I even heard the cook tell the person in line ahead of me on Saturday, "can you give me a minute?" kind of snotty. But overall, I would give it 4 stars because they have 5 different kinds of cereal, 2% milk, skim milk, fruit, donuts, muffins, pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, and other goodies.

Staff: 4 1/2 stars: very friendly - On the weekend, I was waiting for an urgent e-mail and wanted to check-in from the hotel's PC - and their was a young college kids sitting at the desk with his feet up surfing the net, so I went back to room for about 15 minutes, figuring that after his 15 minutes, one of the staff would notify him that his 15 minutes were up. So, I came back to the lobby after 15 minutes, he was still there, so I went back up to my room for another 10 minutes, went back down, still there. So, I said something to one of the staff members, she stated, that she had no idea how long he had been on the computer, she did not have him written in the log and was not tracking his time, so I told them that he had been there for 25 minutes or more. And I needed the computer for just a few minutes. So, a gentleman staff member, went over and told the kid something (not sure what he had said) and the kid immediately left and I was able to get on the internet with no problems.

Location: 3 1/2 stars - This location is extremely convenient to I-35 & the highways, but the neighborhood is very nice and it is difficult to get around this area.

Overall: I would give this hotel 4 stars. It a nice place to bring your family and get away from it all (especially on the weekdays).

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2005

Texas has access roads on its access roads to Interstates that run through big cities, and you have to know what you're doing to get to this Embassy Suites and to get out. Once you're there, it's one of the better Embassy Suites (we've stayed in about 20); a bonus is that it's a short distance on foot to two fine restaurants (Pappasito's and Pappadeaux) and one pretty good place (Texas Land and Cattle Company Steakhouse).

I've been visiting Austin for 30 years, and it's gotten too big and too busy and the highways are a nightmare. I have also observed that Texas drivers in general aren't as polite as they used to be. All this makes the manager's reception a welcome break in a trying day.

Stayed March 2005
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2004

We stayed at the Embassy Suites on Sept. 10, 2004 and had a great time! The room was very nice and very clean, we even had cookies and bottled waters waiting for us in our suite. The pool and hot tub area were both large and there were plenty of chairs and towels available. The manager's reception was great with a nice selection of drinks (including a drink bar with soft drinks) and snacks such as popcorn, tortilla chips, salsa and nacho cheese. The breakfast was your typical Embassy Suites breakfast with a selection of both hot and cold items. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it highly.

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Austin Central? Share your experiences!