“Would Definitely Stay Again” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #65 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Would Definitely Stay Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I visited the Double Tree last weekend and I was very much impressed by the the kindness of the staff. The rooms were clean and the kingsize bed was comfortable. The only thing i didnt like was the loud slamming of the doors. The confrence rooms were comfortable and the over all theme of the hotel was to my personal likeing. Loved the location and the will definitely stay again. Keep up the good work Doubletree.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Thank you very much for the kind feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We love to hear feedback on our great staff and I am delighted that you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable and that you liked our Spanish Colonial motif. I do apologize that you experienced some noise issues and I hope that they did not detract from what appears to have otherwise been an enjoyable stay.

James Prendeville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Manteno, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I booked this after looking all over for what I thought would be a nice hotel and pool for my kids. lI have stayed at Doubletrees before and they were nice. UGH. I should have known when I walked in the lobby. It was a 1980's spanish style with VERY old furniture. The halls were very old and dingy. The room has some updates, but the majority was in bad shape. The showers were horrible. Mold and hair everywhere. Walls very diry. The old bandaid and used klennex near the bed was the high point. We checked out after the first night and went across the street to the Courtyard. It was VERY clean. Pool was very small and only 3 feet at the deepest. It also was crumbling down around the edges. Very nice courtyard if kept up. This could be a great hotel and probably was in the day. Charged 10 for internet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thanks for writing regarding your recent stay, it appears that we failed to meet very basic expectations and I apologize for that. The Spanish Colonial motif is certainly not to every guest’s taste, most like it a lot but I certainly appreciate your perspective also. However, there is no excuse for the cleanliness concerns you experienced with your guestroom. Simply put, it’s unacceptable and you have my assurance that I have followed up on your concerns.

Again, thanks for the feedback and please feel to reach out to me personally if I can be of further service

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I booked a room at this location through Priceline. While I initially thought I got a favorable rate, I was rather disappointed with the hotel. With any hotel stay, the bed is of primary importance. I found the king bed to be rather uncomfortable; comparable to those I might expect at the adjacent Motel 6. Other disappointing features: hallways smelled of mildew; corridors and bathroom were dimly lit; pool and surrounding lounge area are small; highway noise (though not too noticable when a.c. fan was on); hotel charges for parking. Positive features: sixth floor corner room was quite spacious; excellent business center; easy entry to the highway.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

This once grand hotel is now on the cusp of dilapidation. ants in my room on the sixth floor, dirty baseboards, bad repairs, dated rooms with beat up furniture with scuffs and handles missing, tv non-functioning. Was moved to a better room that was too not clean and had mildew in the shower and on the curtains. Lots of defferred repairs and patches that are poorly performed.

Odessa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had family menbers from 70+ to 10, and all had a great time. We found the location one of the best in Austin. Will be my choice of a hotel my next trip to Austin

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind comments, they are greatly appreciated. I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable and that you found out location to be favorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and in the meantime, please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can be of further service.

Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

The good, Ok , so the staff tries their best, and they were extremely helpful. There is a cute inner courtyard and pool.... That's about it for this place. The bad, they now charge for parking and internet so add $20 extra dollars per day to your rate! The whole property is run down, its old and in dire need of a renovation. The rooms look like they were the location for a new years party in 1985, and have not been cleaned since. I took off my shoes and walked around the room only to find the soles of my feet blackend from all the filth on the carpet! I spent the rest of my stay tip toeing around the room and trying not to touch any of the furniture. Dont forget to get your tetanus shot before staying here.... better safe than sorry!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I sincerely appreciate the kind comments regarding our Staff, Courtyard and Pool. We are very proud of our staff and consider ourselves to be very fortunate to have a team of employees as focused on our guests as they are.

The vast majority of the guestrooms at the hotel were renovated in 2005/2006 and we generally get very positive feedback from our guests on these rooms. There is a small pocket of rooms on the upper floor that are slated for renovation and it appears that you may have stayed in one of those. Fortunately, we are moving forward with a complete renovation of these rooms beginning in August 2010.

Having said that, although the rooms are a little older, our very high cleanliness standards throughout the hotel are uniform and I sincerely regret that you did not experience us at our best in that regard. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and they will be addressed.

Thanks again for taking the time to write regarding your stay and please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can be of further service.

baton rouge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

The hotel is OK, but not as good I imagined for a typical "Double Tree Hotel". Bed and everything on bed is very comfortable. They have a very good way to be conservative and environmentally friendly. But Something very unsatisfying: Rug is dirty. TV is at a very wired position, 90 degree angle away from the bed......; AND when we were packing up after three day's stay, we shockingly found the door to the front porch is unlocked! (which I suppose should be checked by whoever cleaned the room before we check in). I'm completely terrified by this. Our room is such a public place to all the people in the hotel! But when I called the front desk about this, she simply said "ok, just close it". NO apology, nothing at all. Or I'm expecting too much from this place. Or I'm supposed to check EVERYTHING before I check in.
Anyway, not recommended, will not go there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
jprendeville, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this review, July 3, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay. I do appreciate the kind words regarding our beds and recycling efforts at the hotel, we are very proud of both.

I was obviously concerned that the patio door to your room was unlocked. Approximately one third of our rooms at the hotel have patio doors that open to our inner Courtyard. The locks on these doors are designed to be self locking when the door is closed. In other words, if the door is closed from the outside, it is not possible to re-enter the room from the patio. In addition, the doors are equipped with two secondary locking devices in the form of a chain and a latch. Our policy at the hotel is that the chain and latch are supposed to be engaged for all rooms and I apologize that this was not the case in your room. However, please be assured that in spite of this, it should not be possible to access the room form the patio due to the self-locking main lock.

Having said that, I will be personally following up with our housekeeping department to ensure that checking these locks on a daily basis remains a focus.

Thanks again for the comments and please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
James Prendeville

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin? Share your experiences!