“Awesome relaxing weekend!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Austin's Inn at Pearl Street

Save Saved
You added Austin's Inn at Pearl Street to your Saves list
Austin's Inn at Pearl Street
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   809 West Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Austin, TX 78701 (West Campus)   |
Ranked #10 of 40 Austin B&B and Inns
“Awesome relaxing weekend!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I booked this bed and breakfast for my first Wedding anniversary. This was mine and my husbands first time to ever stay at a bed and breakfast. I wasn't sure if I would like it when I booked it but I'm so glad I did!!! We stayed in the safari room which had a balcony, and I must say that was the BEST part!!! We purchased the romance package and had champagne and strawberries waiting for us in our room upon arrival and had a delicious breakfast the next morning on our balcony! It was a rainy weekend so we spent most of our time on the balcony relaxing and drinking wine. We loved the complimentary wine available in the evening! The staff was very friendly and happy to do anything for us!! We will be coming back!!! :)

• Stayed September 2012
Jill B, Owner at Austin's Inn at Pearl Street, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Your first time at a bed and breakfast, wow, how lucky we were to have you and that you had such a good experience! So happy you enjoyed your time here at the Inn and that the breakfast met with your approval. Thank you for trying us out and for taking the time to review The Pearl, we appreciate that you did and the positive feed back. We hope you come stay again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Inn at Pearl Street is a "pearl" of a find. I just happened upon this B&B on the internet and took my chances. I was very impressed with the kind service I received and the accommodations were incredibly comfortable and attractive. I love the large, treed, patio area. Thanks especially to Maria and Jill for their easy going and fun attitudes. A+++++++

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Killeen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful evening! This Inn is a beautiful place and the staff is amazing! Thank you for making our 10th Anniversary so wonderful! We had a lovely dinner and we were catered to all evening and the next morning. We were not rushed and we were encouraged to sit back, relax and take it all in. This was the perfect escape for our Anniversary, as well as our first night away from our newborn twins! Get to the Inn ASAP! You will not be disappointed!!

Eugene and Christy Stephens
Killeen, Texas

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing. We stayed in the Gothic Room, but we toured all of the rooms and they...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I can't for the life of me understand why there's anything but positive reviews for this wonderful Inn and its amazingly gracious owner/proprietor.

We had our daughter's reception at Austin's Inn at Pearl Street earlier this year and the experience was so wonderful that I feel compelled to write a review so other's may get the chance to visit this lovely Inn.

Our first contact at the Inn was with the owner, Jill Bickford, and I must say that she was a complete joy to work with. Over the course of several meetings she was very pleasant and professional in every way, from touring the grounds to reviewing the smallest details for the special day.

When the day finally arrived, everyone was understandably nervous, but we shouldn't have been because everything went off without a hitch, because of Jill's meticulous attention to detail.

The grounds were lovely and immaculate. Those in the party who stayed at the Inn were treated to wonderfully decorated rooms and warm hospitality.

The reception was amazing, so much more romantic and personalized than a much larger hotel based venue.

Not only would I would recommend Jill and her lovely Inn to any prospective bride, I would recommend the Inn to anyone looking for a special place for a romantic weekend getaway.

Room Tip: If I were you I'd simply ask Jill and let her pick the room to suit your particular taste.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jill B, Austin's Inn at Pearl Street at Austin's Inn at Pearl Street, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Pete,

Numerous details are involved in planning a couples' special day. It was our pleasure to be a part of this happy occasion! Thank you for taking the time to review us!! Your kind words truly mean the world to us. We would be thrilled to welcome you back should you ever find yourself in Austin.

Regards,
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

From reading the review below, it sounds like alcohol must have been flowing at that wedding. I returned to Austin's Inn at Pearl Street after having stayed two years earlier. It was even better than I had remembered. I must admit I am not one who enjoys the large high-rise mega hotels.
I like to come and go as I please without a lot of fuss, parking, lobby walking, elevator riding, etc.
The Inn is perfectly located for me. Close enough to downtown, adjacent to the UT campus, but far enough away that you can get a good night's sleep. This time I stayed in the Gothic Suite. It was a beautifully decorated, two-room suite, a gorgeous bathroom with a double jacuzzi tub and a large outdoor balcony overlooking the shaded deck. I asked for a glass of the house wine they serve to arriving guests. I was able to relax on my balcony before I had to dress for a business dinner. When I returned, brownies were found on the bar. I had one with a glass of milk before hiting the bed. The continental breakfast has a variety of items to choose from, including a substantially stocked refrigerator. This type of breakfast was just right for me as I am generally in a hurry to rush off for work-related activities. Jill, the owner, was cordial and helpful in every way. I will be returning to the Inn again !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jill B, Austin's Inn at Pearl Street at Austin's Inn at Pearl Street, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to update us regarding your recent experience! The Gothic Suite is a fun suite with its private balcony and 2 persons Jacuzzi tub with lots of room to relax and unwind! We are delighted that you felt so comfortable yet again trying out a new room. Thank you for your wonderful review. It means a great deal to hear from our guests!

We hope to welcome you back to our doors again and again!

Best wishes,
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

*Sigh*...where do I start.

Let me start on a positive note and praise just how beautiful this piece of real-estate is. It's nestled in the downtown Austin area and is surrounded by lush green trees. This is why I feel in love with the place (because of the location). I went and viewed/toured the property with my fiance about 12 months prior to my wedding. We went on a tour with a lady named Shannon Lloyd (who I assume worked at the Inn part time). She was friendly and nice and gave us a tour of the property. She explained what we needed to hold the date and gave us a contract to look at.

I fell in love right away. I had this vision of a beautiful courtyard wedding taking place there.

Fast forward a couple of months and I stop hearing from Shannon and directly from JILL BICKFORD. Who is the owner of the Inn. She comes off friendly at first and loves to receive our payments for the wedding, however as the wedding quickly approaches she turns into a nightmare!

The week of the wedding when we were trying to iron out last minute details so became a big stress to us. She did not allow a space for our caterer to clean her dirty dishes after dinner, we had to provide our own tables for set up of our meal and deliver them BUT they could only be delivered the evening before, she interrupted our mariachi's at dinner over the DJ PA system to have our guests move a vehicle from the Inn parking lot, she did not have our tables set up and ready for our florist to deliver and set up the centerpieces, my father and other guest had to do that for her. My parents arrived at the venue at 4p.m. which is the time she stated vendors could start setting up and she charged us extra for doing so even though she needed help setting up?! RIDICULOUS! During the reception she threw a chair across the deck in a rage because a guest of ours had moved it there and "it was in her way." The bar tending service she provided was unsatisfactory to our standards as she only hired one bartender/ one bar for 200 guests. We had to provide our own ice, cups, and garnishes for the bar as well (NONE OF THIS WAS WRITTEN IN THE CONTRACT). The cake cutting service she provided was also the bar tender who was supposed to be tending to the bar. After we cut our cake the bartender left the bar to serve the rest of the cake for us. Once again, I had my own guests behind the bar serving drinks to other guests. She charged us to pick up and dispose of the cups from the tables that HER bar provided. She also charged us for throwing rose petals on the ground as part of our send off. THEY WERE REAL, BIODEGRADABLE ROSE PETALS!!! REALLY?!! The icing on the cake is when my newly married husband and I decided not to stay the night because of how unprofessional she was even though we already paid a $200 fee for that as well. We drove around that night in search of a hotel because we wanted to get as far away from Jill as possible.

In the end, out of our $500 refundable deposit she stated we were only getting back $30 & we still haven't received that yet.

MORAL OF THE STORY: JILL BICKFORD IS AN UNPLEASANT PERSON TO WORK WITH!!! SAVE THE HEADACHE AND LOOK ELSEWHERE & thank God for my husband and alcohol because that is the only reason I enjoyed that night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pete D, Public Relations Manager at Austin's Inn at Pearl Street, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Any couple considering the Pearl Street Inn as the venue for their wedding reception is given a written “Policies & Procedures Agreement” (hereafter, “the Agreement”) at the first meeting with staff. This Agreement itemizes in detail specific stipulations regarding guest parking, towing, bartending requirements, closing times, responsibilities of the caterer, kitchen availability, cleanup information involving trash removal, setups and delivery time schedules concerning early arrival issues, etc. The terms of the Agreement are explained to and discussed with the couple at this initial meeting. We then require the couple to sign the Agreement in order to formally engage Pearl Street as the venue for their reception. It is self evident that signatures to the document reflect that the parties involved understand and have agreed to the terms as expressed within those written guidelines. This is customary practice in all professional venues where wedding events are hosted.

At Pearl Street Inn, in addition to obtaining the couple’s signatures to the Agreement, we encourage face-to-face pre-event planning sessions between our staff and the couple involved, so that there are no “surprises” the day of the reception. These pre-event meetings are the best way to ensure that any reception runs smoothly the day of the event. Here, this particular couple signed the Agreement, but had only the initial meeting with staff, and one other meeting attended only by the groom. Rather, the couple chose to arrange for everything by email, despite the fact that the couple had an entire year prior to the date of the event to come to Pearl Street Inn and meet with staff about the particulars of their impending reception. We can only speculate that this was the problem with the “surprises” that seemed to bewilder the couple on the day of their celebration.

Turning to the couple’s specific complaints:

“The week of the wedding when we were trying to iron out last minute details she became a big stress to us”. The “last minute details” were in fact last minute changes proposed by the bride which were contrary to the terms of the Agreement.

“[Pearl Street Inn] did not allow a space for our caterer to clean her dirty dishes after dinner, we had to provide our own tables for set up of our meal and deliver them.” The catering space and no kitchen use was outlined in the Agreement and also discussed with the caterer a week before the celebration and in an onsite visit.

“[Pearl Street Inn staff] interrupted our mariachis at dinner over the DJ PA system to have our guests move a vehicle from the Inn parking lot .” Several cars were parked illegally, and an announcement was made in an attempt to prevent towing; however, the announcement was made at the beginning of the reception. The mariachis had not begun performing and were never at anytime interrupted.

“[Pearl Street Inn staff] did not have our tables set up and ready for our florist to deliver and set up the centerpiece.” At the incorrect instruction of the bride, the florist arrived 45 minutes earlier then the appointed time.

“My father and other guests had to do that [set up tables and linens] for her.” As written in the Agreement, linens are placed on the tables at the last because of possible weather issues so they will look good for the celebration.

“My parents arrived at the venue at 4 p.m.” Family and guest members are not vendors and are asked to please arrive at the given time scheduled in the Agreement, so that staff and vendors may quickly set-up unimpeded by party attendees.

“…threw a chair across the deck in a rage because a guest of ours had moved it there and "it was in her way…" A chair was not thrown at this reception or any reception at the Inn at Pearl Street.

“The bar tending service [provided by Pearl Street Inn] was unsatisfactory to our standards as she only hired one bartender per one bar for 200 guests. We had to provide our own ice, cups, and garnishes for the bar as well (none of this was written in the contract)...” Pearl Street Inn does not charge a corking fee. The couple is allowed to bring in their own alcohol, if they provide their own condiments and ice. Pearl Street Inn provides the cups and bartender. There were not 200 guests, although the discussed head count went from 75 to 150. The couple chose not to have a second bartender because they were only serving beer and wine and did not want to pay for another bartender or for tents in the event of inclement weather.

“…cake cutting service she provided was also the bar tender who was supposed to be tending to the bar. After we cut our cake the bartender left the bar to serve the rest of the cake for us. Once again, I had my own guests behind the bar serving drinks to other guests. She charged us to pick up and dispose of the cups from the tables that her bar provided...” They did not want to pay for another staff member to cut the cake, therefore the bartender was allowed to close the bar for 15 minutes to help with the cake service. The couple’s caterer was in charge of all trash pickup as stated in the Agreement and left the property with NO trash. No one at anytime is allowed behind the bar except a licensed bartender. If any others were inappropriately behind the bar, they were kindly asked to leave.

“…charged us for throwing rose petals on the ground as part of our send off...” The couple was not charged for this occurrence.

“…when my newly married husband and I decided not to stay the night because of how unprofessional she was even though we already paid a $200 fee for that as well…” The Pearl Street Inn staff was advised that the couple chose not to stay the night, having been embarrassed by the behavior of a family member, who made inappropriate physical behavior and foul comments to the Inn staff at the end of the evening.

“…out of our $500 refundable deposit she stated we were only getting back $30 & we still haven't received that yet…” As specified in the Agreement, the damage deposit was $450.00. The couple was advised that $400 would be deducted because the caterer did not complete busing of the tables after dinner and left trash and cigarette butts all over the property. The groom was very willing to accept the payment responsibility because he was aware of the issue. The refund check they claim they did not receive, cleared our bank on July 19, just 10 days after their celebration.

“…thank God for my husband and alcohol because that is the only reason I enjoyed that night…” It is believed alcohol can influence the mood of a party, as it was observed in this case. The joyous and complimentary mood of the night was interrupted when the bar closing was enforced. The time to close was clearly posted on the bar throughout the reception for all the guests to see and is in the Agreement.

The evening went so smoothly that both bride, groom, father of the bride, as well as other guests, were effusive in their praise to the Pearl Street Inn Staff throughout the evening. The Inn staff was introduced to many family members and guests, who thanked us for such a wonderful reception and showed appreciation for the Inn’s ambience and beauty.

While we don't feel that it is necessary to address every point contained within this review, we do feel compelled to at least point out that both the bride and groom's expectations had been exceeded, given their very own complimentary and effusive thanks to us during the beginning and middle of the reception.

The real morale of this story is if you chose to have a wedding anywhere please get involved! Be aware of the planning process and guidelines offered by your venue and all your vendors, so that your special day will go off without issues and disappointments. Many of these same couples and their guests have in fact become regular customers at Austin’s Inn at Pearl Street and this speaks volumes to which we are very proud!

Thank you for considering Austin’s Inn at Pearl Street for your celebration! We offer you a sincere promise that we will do everything in our power to make your special day a very memorable one!

Austin’s Inn at Pearl Street
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Jill the owner since 1996 has taken over an old mansion and completly renovated it... nothing unusual there ... except she had a vision for this old house and the result is fantastic... without cutting corners she dedicated her work to bringing back the soul of this house. You can feel it in each rooms as well as in the surrounding details of the gardens. The host is proud of the result and she should be. The attention to small details inside the Inn is majestic, her collections of real antiques is several lifetime collection from her Mom and Dad and what she accumulated.
I would rate the Inn one of the top 5 in my book after visiting several dozen in my travelling life in America and europe... I hope Jill doesn't read this remark... but she could charge 3 time the rate and it would still be worth it

Room Tip: Jill has created 5 rooms... all have their own flare and theme but our two favorite were the Asian r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jill B, Austin's Inn at Pearl Street at Austin's Inn at Pearl Street, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
It was so run down when I bought it, so what was a girl to do, but fix it up:)?!? It is so nice to hear that you were blown away by my eclectic collection of antiques. Acquiring these treasures has been a lifelong passion for me, with the help of Burton and Victoria (mom & dad).

I am thrilled to hear such kind words, especially given your experience with inns around the world. Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It makes all that I do here worth while. Please come back when you can stay longer:)!

Warmest regards,
Jill

Been to Austin's Inn at Pearl Street? Share your experiences!