“Beautiful Historic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ella

You added Hotel Ella to your Saves list
Hotel Ella
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1900 Rio Grande, Austin, TX 78705 (Formerly Mansion at Judges' Hill) (West Campus)   |
Ranked #10 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Austin
“Beautiful Historic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Hotel Ella is a Beautiful Historic property. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the rooms are very pretty and comfortable. However, I would be careful not to get the corner rooms that have the student dorms right behind them unless you are prepared to hear lots of noise all night long! There is also construction going on as well, but the noise was not too bad. The Hotels cars that they have on property to take you locally are a definite bonus.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kiberly C,

I appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Ella. I'll be sure to share the positive comments with our team as they take great pride in providing a five-star experience.

I also wanted to let you know that we are planning to build a barrier enhancement adjacent to our Classic Guestrooms to help buffer the noise from our neighbors. I hope you will visit us again soon to experience the new and improved product for yourself!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Service and food at this hotel are very good indeed. The staff are very friendly and cannot do enough for you.

My only complaint would be that it is not the quietest hotel, soundproofing is not great at all.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Terry R,
Thank you for your review; we truly appreciate every bit of feedback from our guests. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant, Goodall’s. Thank you as well for recognizing our amazing Hotel staff. I couldn’t agree more.

As for the noise, I’m happy to report that we are improving our soundproofing. I hope you will join us again and allow us the opportunity to show off our new enhancements.

Director of Rooms
Waco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Expensive hotel with excellent service, but half the hotel is new and not historic. For the price, staying in the new part is nothing special. If this hotel was $200-250 it is well worth it...but not at $450. The beds were comfortable. The room clean. The food is excellent. It's convenient to downtown Austin, but the construction in front of the building made me miss it the first pass and the old, weird apartment building we looked out on was not conducive to the price either.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nannerdoodle,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Ella on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the newly renovated area by the pool. Thank you for recognizing the comfort of our beds, the clean rooms, and the great food served at Goodall's. With regards to the construction, I am happy to let you know that both buildings next to us will be finished soon.

If you have any additional feedback, or wish to speak further about your experience, I would welcome the opportunity. Please accept our thanks for your constructive feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Ella in the future.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Very lovely hotel. Staff is fantastic. Loved the breakfast in pretty dining room. The small bar was intimate and sophisticated. Rene the young man in the dining room was so professional and helpful. The attention to detail made it a unique experience and I would recommend it highly. Next time I want to stay in the main house after seeing the rooms. Although the annex was great I think the main house rooms are very special. The complimentary car service to dine in other areas of Austin was very convenient. A real bonus.

Room Tip: The rooms in main house are superior.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_Ella, General Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Kathleen O,
Thank you for your great review. I'm so glad you loved your breakfast in Goodall's Kitchen & Bar. We strive to provide a unique experience for our Hotel Ella guests. Our staff is fantastic and I will let Rene know you found him to be professional and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Ella again soon!
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I highly recommend Hotel Ella, my stay was exceptional in every way.
From the perfect location, to the aesthetics and comfort of this historic hotel it provided the perfect experience for the weekend in Austin.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Kellye C,
Thank you for your great review. We're so glad that your stay at Hotel Ella was exceptional in every way! Thank you again for your high recommendations. We look forward to providing you another perfect experience on your next visit to Austin and Hotel Ella!
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I am on the road as a business traveler all year and I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Ella. The staff at Hotel Ella is personable, courteous and conscientious. They made me feel like I was in their home and provided me with sincere hospitality. My internet worked consistently throughout the property, which is very important to me. The food was amazing and for anyone who is looking for a great restaurant for lunch or dinner, Goodall's Kitchen & Bar is fantastic. I decided to dine in the restaurant several times during my stay and each meal was delicious. It was also great place to meet clients for breakfast and an old friend for drinks on the verandah in the afternoon. What a find! I know where I will stay when I return to Austin. And next time, I look forward to trying out the pool!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_Ella, General Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear marciam1969: Thank your for your great review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Ella and found our staff to be personable, courteous, and conscientious. It's great that you were able to utilize our complimentary wifi. We're thrilled that you enjoyed every delicious meal at Goodall's Kitchen & Bar, as well as drinks on our veranda. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Austin!
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Better service than a five star hotel. The staff was wonderful, the rooms was great, the bed comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel. We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Really loved everything.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Nancy N: Thank you for your great review. We're so glad that you loved our wonderful staff (better service than a five star hotel), great rooms and comfortable beds. I'm thrilled that you loved your Hotel Ella experience, including an excellent breakfast and dinner at our restaurant, Goodall's Kitchen & Bar. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to Hotel Ella? Share your experiences!