“Absolutely Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ella

Save Saved
You added Hotel Ella to your Saves list
Hotel Ella
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1900 Rio Grande, Austin, TX 78705 (Formerly Mansion at Judges' Hill) (West Campus)   |
Ranked #15 of 182 hotels in Austin
Mableton
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

It's rare that I take the time to fill out a survey let alone write a review on a hotel. As a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure, I have to say that I was beyond impressed with the service I received at Hotel Ella! The rooms are great. The food was impeccable and the service was just outstanding.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have stayed at the Mansion on Judges Hill for several years and the quality we admired about the hotel was it's status as a solid boutique in a great location of Austin. So, my wife and took a trip to Austin this weekend to try the new Hotel Ella, a transformation of the former Mansion on Judges Hill.

The rate I noticed was high for a suite but made the reservation anyway. What a disappointment for a $500+ hotel room. No desk, a shower you could hardly turn around in, slippery tiles in the shower and virtually no hot water in the morning's shower and on top of this, 2 wash cloths, 2 hand towels and 2 bath towels. I will give them a plus for 1 extra pillow. The bed was average and overall the room was small and was no where near "Suite" size or "Suite" quality.

Updates with the pool, outside art, inside art, new carpeting, paint and decorations was well done. Keeping the mansion and dining room was a plus. Parking is $25 and Valet is the only choice.

My advice for Austin is head to the 4 Seasons which is another favorite of ours in Austin. For $500+ you get a lot more for your money is class hotel. For the new owners of Hotel Ella, your upgrades and capital investment were put in the wrong places and just cost you a loyal customer for the past 6 years.

Room Tip: Go to the 4 Seasons for these prices. You will get more.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_Ella, General Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Mike R:

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Ella and to recognize our service, cleanliness and location as excellent. We were thrilled to welcome you back and show you Hotel Ella, including all of the new product and service enhancements that make Ella sophisticated and unique. I was glad to see you enjoyed the pool courtyard and art installation. They truly bring out the best of Austin old and Austin new.

I apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the quality and comfort of your guest suite. All of the inconveniences you mentioned are easily overcome. I would be grateful for the opportunity to regain your loyalty. I am available anytime via 512-495-1800.

Steve Shotsberger
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This review wouldn't be so poor if we had known about the 2 major construction projects immediately flanking both sides of the hotel. For $500/night I would expect to be informed of the 7am hammering, drilling, sawing, etc. We were hoping to getaway and enjoy our first visit to Austin in a tranquil and relaxing hotel but unfortunately, and at no fault of the staff's, we are avoiding the hotel from 7am-7pm! I spoke to the front desk to find out about the construction and they informed me that it would be continuing throughout the weekend as well. All they could offer for my discomfort was some earplugs. For the price of this hotel I think you can do better than handing me some earplugs. So disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear ltravelforme:

Thank you for your review. I truly appreciate that you recognized our service as excellent. We strive to deliver a first-class hotel experience and are pleased that we exceeded your expectations with our service culture.

Seeing your comment, "This review wouldn't be so poor if we had known about the 2 major construction projects immediately flanking both sides of the hotel," I am terribly sorry that the adjacent construction caused for a disappointing first experience at Hotel Ella. Although the hotel cannot control the construction schedules of our new neighbors, or the hours the City of Austin allows projects around town to work, we continue to make every effort to take care of our guests as seen by the service you experienced as well as the many excellent reviews from other guests who have stayed recently.

I wish that your review of Hotel Ella had been about the experience we provided you and not discounted by elements out of our control. I will make every effort to properly recover and remedy this matter to your complete satisfaction. My hope is that you will give us another opportunity. All adjacent construction will be completed this summer and will no longer be an issue for Hotel Ella guests.

I can be reached anytime via 512-495-1800. I hope to hear from you soon.

Steve Shotsberger
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I loved the room. This hotel is the perfect mix of old and new and has a fun Austin vibe. It was clean, spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. I wanted to stay an extra day just to relax. The bed was very comfortable and there was a nice large table and chairs to sit and eat. We ordered the french toast from room service and it was delicious. We also ordered the carafe of coffee and it was disappointing. It was just a small thermos of coffee and was only 2 cups. I wasn't happy about that because I was really looking forward to us both having a couple of cups.
My only complaints were the coffee and the noise. There were several noisy guests that were up all night and even one talking on his phone very loudly outside of our room at 4am. I got up twice and asked him to be quiet. I spoke with the front desk at check out and they were very apologetic and friendly about the matter.
I would stay here again and recommend staying here. Just note it's not exactly downtown. It's a couple of blocks from the action but still worth the stay.

Room Tip: Try a suite with porch access.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Manager_Ella, Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear travelbee500: Thank you for the great review of Hotel Ella. We are so pleased that you loved the room and found the hotel to be the perfect mix of old and new with a fun Austin vibe. We are glad that the bed was very comfortable and that you found the french toast from room service to be delicious. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Ella!
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great boutique hotel! It is close the the University so if you want a quick bite to eat or just want to walk around, you can do so. Beautiful, clean, I can't wait to stay again! Great car service also! They are avaiable to take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius so if you want to go to the 6th Street area but not worry about driving or getting a cab, just asked them to take you.

Manager_Ella, Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Marredia R: Thank you for your review of Hotel Ella. We are pleased that you found the hotel to be beautiful and clean. We are also glad that you enjoyed our car service. We look forward to having you stay again!
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Loved it. Room was really clean and spacious - and quiet. There was a lot of energy among the staff I met, and this made things even better. I didn't have time, but I hankered to have a drink outside on the front patio. Pool area looks nice too. Breakfast was very fresh and tasty and not too bad. It's expensive, but may be worth it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manager_Ella, Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear antlu2014: Thank you for your review of Hotel Ella. We are glad you loved it! We are pleased to hear that you found there to be a lot of energy among the staff you met. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Ella!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Ella for 5 nights during chaotic SXSW, and the hotel offered us a fantastic respite from the madness. The staff, particularly John & Cedrid, were simply outstanding! They were there when we were working from the lobby at 2am, they cleaned up after us, found us plates / napkins / water, ordered us pizza, and made us feel at home! We will definitely return!

Manager_Ella, Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Amy N: Thank you for your great review of Hotel Ella. We are glad that we could serve as a respite from the madness that is SXSW. We are very pleased to hear that you found the staff to be outstanding. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Ella!

Been to Hotel Ella? Share your experiences!