“Convenient for some, not for others” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Atrium North Hotel

You added Atrium North Hotel to your Saves list
Atrium North Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7928 Gessner Drive, Austin, TX 78753-6506 (Formerly Best Western) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #104 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Convenient for some, not for others”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you're not familiar with North Austin, this Best Western Atrium North is located on an access road immediately behind an elevated interstate and it's very hard to get to during rush hour if you don't know the area due to Austin's heavy traffic. The immediate vicinity near the hotel looks a bit seedy with homeless people taking shelter under the overpass; but there are some chain restaurants a mile or so away. During our three-night vacation stop the front-desk staff was pleasant; the night desk clerk was not very confident in providing directions but the morning manager was more knowledgeable and printed up Google maps directions for us. Contrary to information we saw in online references at the time we booked, this hotel does NOT have a guest coin laundry. (This proved a bit inconvenient for us as we had several days' of sweaty vacation laundry -- had to wash clothing in the sink and hang it up to dry in the bathroom.) High humidity in the room was a problem -- no matter how we adjusted the fans, wet towels and clothes would not dry. The bathroom was nice and large and adequately clean when we arrived but does not have a fan. One morning as we left for the day for our activities, we noticed the housekeeper had already passed by our room, so we asked the morning desk manager to make sure she attended to our room. When we returned that night, the room had not been cleaned. The night manager apologized and provided us fresh warm towels. By far the best part of this hotel stay was the hot morning breakfast; the employee cooking sausage, bacon, eggs and fresh waffles to order did so with a rollicking personality that started our day off right. Not the hotel's fault but there was a brief power outage one day during a thunderstorm, and while the power quickly returned, the cable TV service was out for several hours before the hotel could get it restored. If you're staying specifically in North Austin for one night, this hotel is perfectly adequate. If you're from out of town visiting downtown and unfamiliar with Austin traffic, the inconvenience of trying to locate and access this hotel in North Austin amid the confusing tapestry of intersections at rush hour might be reason to look elsewhere. Grade: B-minus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front desk and not near the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Anas J, Director of Sales at Atrium North Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thanks for your detailed feedback, which is highly appreciated and valued. We are sorry that you were misled through online information that we have washing machines in premises as we have never advertised such service in our website; nonetheless, we are working to outsource this service for the convenience of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am not sure about where to start. How about the lack of air conditioning in the atrium. Maybe the quarter inch separation between the window and the frame for the bugs. Or maybe the lack of sufficient water pressure to take a shower, Maybe it should be the breakfast where there was only one guy trying to cook, clean, and refill the service items. As hard as he tried (and he was amazing), it did not work and I felt so sorry for the guests and the guy who was given an impossible job.I left out a lot of problems we experienced. This place just doesn't work. It needs massive renovations and updates. It is not a 3 star hotel though it attempts but fails to offer these services. It missed the mark so completely that I left there feeling sorry for everyone associated with the hotel. I think that this could be a great subject for a reality show.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I do not expect to be treated at a Best Western like I would if I stayed at the Ritz, but I do expect a place to live up to what they advertise. The person checking us in was completely flustered by the fact we had vouchers for free nights. He could not "remember the password" in order to log in to credit them to our room. Fortunately we had printed them and he took them and said he would consult his manager. When I got to the room the TV did not work. I called the next morning and the first time I called the front desk I was hung up on. I ended up going to the front desk to voice my complaint. On Sunday, the breakfast hours are posted as 7-10. I got there at 7:15 and nothing was ready, not even coffee. The people were still cleaning the grill, and seemed rather huffy that I would not wait for them to get set up. Most of staff was rude. I almost got knocked over a couple of times in the elevator by housecleaning people not looking. The front desk staff was incompetent and not pleasant. I will never stay at this hotel again and I would advise anyone that reads this review to not stay there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hospitality measure, one thing goes wrong the whole stay goes wrong! First we would like to thank you to take a time to write us your feedback that we highly value. We sure can see the level of frustration you have put in during your stay in our hotel; although we always keep up with several training to have all the staff competent with their duties of customer service, solving out any defect efficiently. We do appreciate to give us another chance and consider us for your next visit to Austin in order to allow us to make it up for you and assure a comfortable stay. Please contact me directly in order to do the needful arrangements
Niceville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had to attend a training program for work, as a health and safety professional that travels alot, I was very impressed with the hotel. It was well maintained and had a large, clean room with a king size bed. The linens were clean but worn and the bed very comfortable. Internet speed was fine during the day, but as more guests logged on, slowed down. I didn't like the long wait for traffic to allow a turn in either direction onto Anderson Lane.The microwave, minifridge and coffee pot in the room helped, fill the void. A small family hamburger stand next door and Red Lobster close by, but need to travel for any resturants. I didn't get the morning Cook's name that made Breakfast a treat, with his humor and great personality. The indoor pool with the continous water fountain flow created alot of noise. I will be returning for more training in August and will plan on staying again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review and we highly appreciate your feedback. Please note that we are working to upgrading our internet service and jump up the speed. Kindly ask our front office staff to place you away from the pool to insure a quieter stay. Wayne our cook is the person we proud of and count on to make a good morning start for our guests.
Conroe, Texas, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Have stayed here before...its close to what I am in town for...mostly clean...its always noisy, the pool inside contributes to that, I'm sure...morning breakfast is great! but the overall price is a bit high

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks Brian for your feedback that we always highly value and appreciate, also it allow us to meet and exceed our guests' expectations. Please let us place you away from the pool side in your next visit as they are quieter rooms for sure.
Austin, Texas, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I tried to book a room directly with this hotel, but because of a corporate discount, was directed to call the 1-800 number. The operator was friendly and helpful as she booked my room. We completed the booking and she asked if i'd like the confirmation number. i replied that emailing it was sufficient. Fours hours later, when i arrived at the hotel, they had no record of my reservation, nor did I receive an email confirmation. Fortunately the hotel was able to book the room, and extended the discount, although they pointed out their displeasure. It all worked out, but could have been less problematic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Anas J, Director of Sales at Atrium North Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that you had a good stay with us. Nonetheless, we do apologies for the inconvenience has occurred during the booking as the national agreement should be booked through our Best Western International channel, and for some reason and we believe due to system defect, we have not received the booking and you never received the email confirmation. This incident has never happened before and I am sure it won’t be a case in future.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in your next visit to Austin, and please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance
new mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I like this part of town when I am in Austin, close to expressway and places to eat. The breakfast was good as they would make eggs/waffles the way you like and had a selection of bacon, sausage, etc. Hotel is a bit older and because of the atrium design was a bit noisy, the doors on the room slam loudly and i was awoken early each morning by this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your feedback, which we always take pride of. On your next stay in Austin, please inform our staff at front desk to offer you a quiet room where is located away from the breakfast area; I am sure your next stay will be enjoyable and comfortable

We look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Atrium North

Been to Atrium North Hotel? Share your experiences!