“Won't be back” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #146 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Medford, Massachusetts
“Won't be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The pool was dirty,the BBQ on the patio was filty and some of the excercise equipment was broken.
The breakfast was ok.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
springfield, illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

My 21 year old son and I stayed here for 2 nights. It was nice having the pool but the breakfast was not very good. Lukewarm water for tea and a small selection of fruit. The carpets were stained and made the hotel seem shabby. The walls were thin and we were woken up by a loud argument in the room next door that went on for over an hour despite a call to the front desk. I'm not sure they knew what to do. On the plus side, the staff was very friendly; it was nice to buy bottled water and snacks from the front desk; and I had no trouble getting a refund when I had to change my trip from 4 days to 2.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Yuma, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Got this Hotel on Priceline for a four night stay and thought I scored a homerun after reading the reviews on this site. Boy, was I wrong.

First off, its not a 2.5 star hotel like sites and Priceline suggest. The property is aged, the pool was a shade of dark green, the hallways emitted a foul odor, there was a half used bottle of shampoo in the bathroom, breakfast had powdered eggs and a floppy white looking wannabe of a suasage patty, no ice machine on my floor, vending machines that do not work, extremely loud air conditioner, and Bed Bugs.

I have never experienced this type of itching before. I should have gotten the message when i noticed about 5 mattresses at the rear door of the hotel next to the parking lot.

Room Tip: Pay a little more to stay at one of the nicer hoty
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Very nice and friendly staff. Will stay again. Thank you to General Manager (L.R.)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed in Austin in March and found the hotel to be a very good value. The location is perfect with easy freeway access and is only a few minutes from downtown.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and a good value.
What stood out to us was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.
Everyone from the manager at the front desk, Michael Ricci, to the housekeepers went out of their way to make sure our stay was pleasant.
We would definitely stay here again should we visit Austin in the future,

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

An old friend came to town for SXSW and booked this room through Priceline. Not sure about the rate, but she did mention that she paid a fraction of what other hotels were charging for such a high-demand weekend. As a local resident, I hesitated to stay at a hotel in Austin during the conference due to fears that I would not be able to get much rest. So glad I accepted her invitation, though. Even with the hotel booked to capacity, there was ample parking. The desk clerk was very friendly and our room was clean and cozy. The beds are amazing! I suffer from lower back pain and after standing for hours on end on concrete floors I expected to wake up in pain, but felt great each morning. The room was equipped with coffee pot, microwave and a mini-refrigerator. As a smoker, I was delighted that each room has a very small balcony so I could simply step outside for a cigarette break at any time. Balcony rooms are few and far between at Austin hotels. The hotel also offers a free hot breakfast each morning. Loved this place and I look forward to staying here on my next staycation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I booked a room at the Baymont Inn (Austin South) at the last minute with no expectations. A 2-star hotel a few miles outside of Austin can't be that amazing, can it?

It can. I had a blast staying here. I came to Austin for Austin City Limits and just needed a place to crash, but this ended up being a place to hang out when I needed some down time. The staff are super friendly and always willing to go out of their way to help.

When I arrived, it just so happened to be free food Wednesday (a treat for the guests) and I was treated to a sweet cookout (burgers, dogs, and such) and beverages while hanging out with the staff and a few other guests. This was a welcome surprise after the worst day of traveling ever.

The whole hotel has just been outfitted with brand new beds. I slept like a baby. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Wifi is free and fast. All the rooms (I think) have a balcony, so if you're a smoker like me, this is a nice perk. There's also business center in the lobby with a printer, which is a nice benefit for folks who need to print out tickets, boarding passes, maps, etc.

Oh, and the breakfast. Sweet fancy Moses, the breakfast. Bacon, sausage, eggs, muffins, fruit, cereal, juice, a waffle maker (!!!), bagels, coffee (all day), juice ... I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but you get the idea. Amazing.

All in all, I highly, highly recommend this place. I can't speak for families, but for solo travelers and couples or other groups, it's definitely worth it -- especially if you're traveling to Austin for a music festival or other similar event. Cheap, clean, fun and friendly staff, and an all-around great experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Austin South? Share your experiences!