“Took nearly $200 from my card” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Austin/Dtwn/Capitol Area

You added Super 8 Austin/Dtwn/Capitol Area to your Saves list
Super 8 Austin/Dtwn/Capitol Area
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1201 North I-35, I-35 and 12th Street, Austin, TX 78702 (East Austin)   |
Ranked #123 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Todmorden, England, United Kingdom
“Took nearly $200 from my card”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I cancelled in good time before the cut-off time (4pm the day before my reservation) yet they still took the money from my card which I'm trying to get back. Best not to ever give Super 8 your card details in advance of your stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

was unsure of staying here as not all of the reviews were great but it was absolutely fine. About a 10 min walk to downtown Austin tho you did have to cross a main road. Rooms were clean and tidy with plenty of space. Great value for money with free parking as well. Would recommend if looking for a value hotel in Austin!

• Stayed February 2014
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Clean, Newly remodeled room. Friendly staff. The candy machine outside ate my money. Twice. The Manager refunded me the 2.50.
The hotel is right next to I-35, and is the least expensive motel closest to the College/State Government district, which means the clientele are usually younger, and less likely to care about other guests. They were a noisy bunch. At 2 in the morning. We never complained (What's the point?) so we can't fault the managers.
The motel had a breakfast setup, but we didn't partake. There was a Denny's 4 blocks up on the same side of the hiway.
The bedspreads could use a good laundering. The one on the second bed looked...icky. The pillows were clean, but rather thin.
Overall, if you need to be close to the capitol on a budget, this is a decent place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Bellevue Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was a single-female traveler and stayed at this motel near the end of the remodel process. The rooms are completely updated, including the plumbing. I liked the laminate flooring and the sofa was comfortable to sit on. Good wifi and cable TV. There was a new microwave, fridge and coffee maker. I did not take advantage of the breakfast, but the front staff was very helpful. Jeff checked me in the evening I arrived and helped me arrange a taxi to the Moody Theater for an evening show. The front staff stowed my suitcase after check-out time so I could explore Austin before my evening flight home.

The location is within walking distance of the state Capitol and UT, but it is a trek across the I-35. I did not feel comfortable walking to downtown at night by myself, but cabs were efficient and reasonable ($8.00 on-way). During the day, I walked into downtown and used the metro bus system to explore the area. This is a good basic hotel. The location is about as far as I would want to stay from downtown Austin, without a car. The motel is on the east edge of downtown Austin, a very historic and interesting neighborhood. Franklin's Barbecue is a quick walk up a side street (bring your lawn chair for a two hour wait). There also were a few clubs and restaurants a short walk away on east 11th street.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 215. It was the farthest area away from the highway, quiet during my mid-week stay.