“Residence Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Killeen, Texas, United States
“Residence Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Residence Inn located in Austin Downtown/Convention Center (4th Street) is co-located with Courtyard by Marriot. The location is excellent since the hotel is near good restaurants and the famous 6th Street nightlife. The staff is very friendly and prompt in assisting incoming guests. There are only two elevators that I observed, and the wait for these elevators could sometimes exceed 10 minutes. Checking in was quick and painless, but my friend and I actually waited for the elevator for about 12 minutes just to get to the 3rd Floor. We almost took the stairs if it wasn't for our luggage/bags.

The housekeepers also knock on our doors very early in the morning. They knocked on our room door at 0845 in the morning, which was too early for us two young men who have been partying at 6th Street the night prior. Breakfast, however, was very good with a good variety of cereal, fruits, and pastries. We would have missed breakfast if the housekeepers did not wake us up at 0845, so I guess the early wake up call did us something good in a way.

The room was clean, complete with everything travelers may need for a long-term stay. Be wary of drunken party-goers who may wake you up at 0200 or 0300 in the morning as they hobble their way in back from the entertainment of 6th Street, Austin. The hotel has a "zero tolerance" for noise (as posted in their lobby), but drunk people don't really know how loud they could become as they stumble through the hotel's hallways. Plus, it would take more work to dial "0", speak to the operator, and ask someone to go up to enforce them to be quiet. Then, by the time someone gets there, the drunks would probably be passed out anyway. So... just be aware. Because of the noise and a very early wake up call from the housekeepers, I rated the sleep quality as "poor." There maybe some better nights at this hotel, but until I experience that, I stand by my current ratings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Tony M,

Thank you for taking time to post an excellent review. We do our best to head off any loud revelers but often then do get past our security team. A good night sleep is of the upmost importance to us and we will double our efforts to deliver that rest. Thank you for letting us know about your stay I look forward to showing you a few changes on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Killeen, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have stayed here many times with my boyfriend. We love the comfy rooms and nicely decorated rooms. Best is the hotel location, right off of 6th street. The breakfast buffet in the morning is fabulous!
This is the only hotel we stay in when we go to Austin!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura,
Thank you for making our hotel your go to when in Austin. On your next trip please do not hesitate to let us know how we can make your visit even more enjoyable. We are AT YOUR SERVICE!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I found my 2 day hotel visit to be one of the better hotel experiences I've had. I travel every other week so I get plenty of hotel time. I was at a conference at a nearby hotel but was really pleased with the extremely friendly service of the front desk folks along with the restaurant staff. They offer free breakfast and social hour on certain nights..it was a little odd that it was in the Champion's restaurant but regardless the food was really good. Very close to all of the action on 6th as well as only a few blocks from the jogging trail on the river(which I used once). The room itself was very nice and seemed to be pretty new. I would definitely stay at this hotel again the next time I go to Austin.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mark,
It means a lot to get a review from such a seasoned business traveler. I know how hard it is to be on the road as often as every other week and we work hard to make our hotel a home away from home. Thank you for your business and for your review. We look forward to entertaining in the future.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was staying here for a conference in January and my room was provided to me by the society hosting the meeting. It was a really great location, only a few steps from the convention center and only a few blocks from the entertainment of 6th Street! The breakfast was good, and the food at Happy Hour was also good! The alcohol selection at Happy Hour, though, wasn't the best, so I ended up opting for water sometimes.

The staff is very attentive to your needs and goes out of your way making sure you have a good stay. If you have the chance to stay here during your next meeting at the Austin Convention Center, try staying here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jcrespo21,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Since your visit in January we have begun to alternate our beer and wine selection for the Residence Inn Social hour on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On behalf of all of our associates we appreciate your business.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for a conference at the convention center, which is a very close walk. While staff was kind and gracious, I found myself having to call more than I'd like. For one, the lid of the coffee pot carafe was broken, so the unit needed to be exchanged. Old coffee grounds were under the machine when I moved it to install the new model. There were also no trash bags in the room , and a previous guest had left a half-eaten container of cream cheese in the fridge that housekeeping hadn't bothered to remove. What's more, I requested additional face cloths and it took nearly an hour for their delivery. A housekeeping cart stood in front of the hotel lobby elevators when I came in one evening well after 5PM, and the sound of a vaccuum could be heard in the hall well past what should be standard cleaning hours. The room was also always somewhat muggy no matter how low I set the temperature. I probably wouldn't stay here again; the only plus is easy access to the convention center.

Room Tip: Nearby is one of the best P.F. Changs I've ever visited.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Pumpkin73,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with me. Our goal is the be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and we obviously did not execute the second in your room. Such misses are unacceptable and I will be sharing your comments with our housekeeping team and work to eliminate such errors. Thank you for staying with us. I look forward to an opportunity to entertain in the future.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a good and free breakfast, a good location in downtown. Our room was very clean and spacious. The only disappointing thing in the 203 room was the bed that needs to be changed ; it seems that its springs are broken, so we were not comfortable all the night long. That's a shame for an hotel like this one, don't you think ? Too bad !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Isabelle F,
Thank you for staying with us and for letting me know about the spring in the bed. I will have my team address this first thing. Again thank you so much for your review and business.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were in Austin just for a stopover-driving home from the coast with our dog and toddler. We wanted a place near the Austin Children's Museum, wanted to be able to walk to dinner, wanted free breakfast and wanted a place where our dog was welcomed. These were the criteria and we were glad to have chosen the Residence Inn. Because of other reviews, we knew to ask for a room on a high level. The noise was a factor, especially so this weekend because of a motorcycle event. They offered earplugs at the front desk. But because we were on a high floor, it didn't keep us up all night. My 2 year old slept through all the traffic noise.

The pet fee was $100 and they do charge it. (Other places we've stayed say they have a fee, but don't implement it.) That is expensive, but not that much more expensive than the pet fee at other area hotels. The pet fee at another hotel we considered was $75, but didn't offer free breakfast, and wasn't walking distance to the places we wanted to go, so we figured it was about even.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. It was free for Residence Inn guests. For people not staying in the hotel, it's $13 per person-it's in the Champions restaurant. Tons of selection, lots of fruit, eggs, chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, etc etc.

I would stay there again. The rooms are clean, comfy, and big.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor-the street (traffic, people partying on 6th street) can get loud. We m...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Patricia T,
I am glad you and your family had a great time in Austin and we were able to be a part of it. We look forward to being your hotel of choice for many visits to come!

Been to Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center? Share your experiences!