“Perfect Downtown Location for the 6th Street Party!” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #41 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Perfect Downtown Location for the 6th Street Party!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Arrived in Austin as the last city on my Texas tour and wow, the city of Austin is a big time party city. Heard so much hype about it all week and was surprised that it actually delivered.

LOCATION

The location of this hotel is right in the middle of downtown Austin, which is perfect if your plan is to party on 6th street. We booked this hotel because of its proximity to the 6th street night life and it did not disappoint. We were two very short non-NYC blocks away from 6th street and had a great time. Had to take the valet garage parking at $27, which was very high, but make sure you get the right one. There are two services, one where your car cannot be retrieved until the next morning and one where you can have them get it multiple times. Of course the overnight parking is about $5 cheaper. Valet is not very organized. They never answer the phone, then when someone does, they say they will get the car but when you go down there 25 minutes later the car is not there and nobody knows what you were talking about. We had a plane to catch so we had to wait another 15 minutes and race to the airport. It is better to have your car sit and rot instead of having to wait for it. Make sure you call for your car 30 minutes before you want to leave.

ROOM, PRICE, CLEANLINESS and COMFORT

The price of the room was about $260 (without tax and with my AAA discount), but we got the biggest suite they have. We got a three (3) room suite where the middle room consisted of a full kitchen, small dining table, a sleeper sofa, a couple of lounge chairs, and a TV. Off to the right was a separate room (with door) containing a queen size bed, dresser for clothes, desk, chair, nightstand, and bathroom. Off to the left of the middle room was another separate bedroom (with door), containing a queen bed, desk, chair, TV, and full bathroom. One bedroom was smaller than the other, but we technically had three separate rooms, which was outstanding.

The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were spotless also. The queen beds were very comfortable, but the sleeper sofa was your average sleeper sofa (not very comfortable). The A/C has two zones. One A/C zone controlled one bedroom and the living room, while the other A/C was strictly for the other bedroom. The A/C worked great and had no problems. The only knock on the place besides the valet, was the price. I thought $260 was a little too steep for a Marriott hotel even though we had a three (3) room suite and that was with my AAA discount. Maybe because it was Friday night in the summer in Austin, but I think around $220 would be a fairer price for that room. Each room had its own window that overlooked the city of Austin which was really nice.

BREAKFAST and OTHER AMENITIES

Breakfast was included in our room price and actually took place at Champions Restaurant which is attached to the hotel (you do not need to go outside to get there). They take your name and room number, look you up and then give you a seat. Usually I hear it is packed, but we woke up with about 20 minutes left in breakfast so we did get a table. Full buffet with everything imaginable. They do not cheap out on breakfast, plenty of hot food, cold food, drinks, etc. Anything you would think of eating for breakfast was there and they constantly replenish so even if you get there with 10 minutes left, there is food for you. One of the best free breakfasts I have ever had at any hotel in any city. The breakfast was that similar to the food at the Old Country Buffet.

I would not hesitate to use this hotel again if going back to Austin. Easiest location to get around, plenty of action, and plenty of good places to go...if you are looking to be close to the 6th street action. To give you an idea, 6th street is maybe a couple of miles long that is filled with all sorts of clubs and bars. The great part about it is that they close off the street so everyone is outside walking in the street similar to Bourbon Street in New Orleans or Mulberry Street in NYC's Little Italy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
NRP
Thank you for choosing our hotel to wrap up your amazing tour of Texas. While our parking prices match all the hotels and parking structures in the area I am concerned with the time it took to retrieve you car before you went to the airport. I will personally address this with our valet maanger and stream line the process to reach our 8 minute goal.
Our breakfast team was all smiles when I shared your comments, as they take great pride in offering the largest selection of any Residence Inn in the country.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott now and in your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My daughter had to be admitted to hospital and I live out of town. The hotel staff was so accomodating to my special needs and went above and beyond to make my stay given the circumstances as pleasant as possible. The customer service to genuine kindness was a 5 star experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Krod
All the associates here at the hotel are wishing your daughter the best! Thank you for allowing us to be At Your Service!
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was in town for a business meeting and only stayed one night. I had booked the reservation that the Marriott Courtyard, which is in the same building as the Residence Inn. For whatever reason, I was given a larger room in the Residence Inn.

The room (403) was a large "L" shaped room with a full kitchen (range, microwave, large refrigerator, dishwasher) a table for meals as well as a large work desk with free internet, There was a full size sofa and a king sized bed.

The hotel is across the street from the convention center. The room included a free full breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant (Champions Sports Bar).

For those interested in the local music and night life, you are just two blocks from 6th Street, the live music capital of Texas.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
David D,

Thank you for spending time with us on your last visit to Austin. The Metro Transist Towntown Airport Flyer is the best way and most cost wise way to get from the Terminal to exactly the corner of the hotel. About 20 minutes and a enjoyable and clean ride.
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had a weekend stay at this hotel (2 nights) for a short holiday.
The Residence Inn and Courtyard are next to each other (same entrance, same parking, same breakfast). We chose this because we were 3 people (wife and a friend) and needed to use the sofa bed.

The stay: The stay was comfortable. The rooms and not as large as typical Residence Inns but that's very common in any downtown. Everything looked renovated. We were away from the noise (6th street),s o the sleep was great too. The shower, amenities were pretty standard. The breakfast was probably the best part. Complimentary, continental, plus biscuits and gravy which is my favorite. The internet was slow at best but did the job. The sofa bed was comfortable too according to the friend. No complaints whatsoever here.
Note: Self-parking here is $21/day, valet is $27/day.

The location: In short, PERFECT!! We chose this hotel looking at a map and it worked out great. Walking to one side was 6ht street, so convenient! On the other side, half a mile away was the bridge where the bats come out in the night and also a place where we could rent canoes. The drive to UT is so close, plus we did not feel far when we went to Barton Springs.

When in Austin, in addition to the common attractions, do check out the Austin Steam Train Hill country tour and take your swimwear to the Barton Springs Pool.
b.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Sunny B,
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your recent visit. Like almost all of our Residence Inn guest you were able to enjoy the amazing varitey (never seen at Residence Inn) and quality of our breakfast buffet. Your two suggestions for activities are spot on, especially Barton Springs durring the dog days of summer.
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This Residence Inn is one of the newer models where it is combined with a Courtyard and has more of a kitchenette as opposed to a full size kitchen. The room was modern with granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances and a good sized flat screen television. The work area was functional and the wireless internet speed was much better than I am accustom to at most hotels. The bathroom was well appointed and the water pressure was perfect.

The location of the hotel is perfect for enjoying downtown Austin. It is located on East 4th street just two blocks from the famous 6th street entertainment district which is lined with restaurants, bars and nightclubs. It is also very easy to access the hotel from the airport via the Capital Metro Airport bus route 100. It is only $1.00 each way and drops you off one block from the Hotel.

My only criticism of the hotel is the complementary breakfast that frequent Residence Inn guests know and love. At this location the breakfast is held in the Champions sports restaurant that is on the Courtyard side of the hotel and was totally packed each morning. I had to wait to be seated and it took a while to get through the buffet line due to the crowd. The waiter also brings you a check with a $0 balance which is an obvious ploy for tipping.

Other than the crowded breakfast, I do recommend this hotel to business or vacation travelers. The rooms are nice, the staff is friendly and the location is ideal for a trip to Austin.

Room Tip: If you drive, use the self parking. When approaching the hotel turn onto Trinity Street which is a o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for spending your time with us at the Residence Inn Austin Downtown. We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us in the future. Our hotel breakfast in Champions allows us to wow our typical Residence Inn guest with variety, freshly cooked breakfast items, and service with proper plates and silverware. The zero balance check is produced to discifer between our Residence Inn and Courtyard (breakfast not included in the room rate) guests and we always leave tipping to the discretion of each guest.
Again, thank you for your business.
Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

If you are visiting Austin, TX specifically 6th street this is the place to stay. Two blocks from 6th street, one block from convention center. Safe area, for walking and site seeing. Rooms are nice, staff were always friendly and accommodating. Free breakfast was really good, lots of variety and fresh fruit. Mon~thur. Evening social was very nice, food was a nice surprise. Parking is underneath hotel, high cost for me at $21 self park and $27 valet. I found it relatively easy to get around the city and there is plenty of taxis.
The hotel also has a nice sports bar attached, good food and drinks at reasonable prices.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
eilerman5000,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Austin Downtown on your last visit to Austin. We truely appreciate you taking time to share you feedback about out hotel and associates and will look forward to hosting you in the future.
Lone Star State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Ok, I stayed here for a week on business. The hotel was in the middle of being updated, as a result I was unable to take a nap for two days straight. The staff offered ear plugs- they were very nice. This did not really bother me, because I know their is no convenient time to do repairs at a hotel. Also, the fire alarm went off in my room. It spoke in Spanish first, and then English telling me to use the stairs to evacuate. I thought it strange because I did not see anyone else in the stairwell. The front desk knew nothing about the alarm and did not seem to be too concerned until they saw the fire truck pull up. Also one of the tvs in my room did not work . The hotel was in the middle of upgrading their service- this tv was too old for the technology- so I was told.
On the morning of my check out- I received a note/card and a hotel voucher from the manager. I was impressed. I will stay again- I am sure that the renovations are complete.

Excellent breakfast and social hour included in the rate!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Renovations have been complete. HDTV is up and running and the hotel is looking great. We look forward to entertaining in the future!

Been to Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center? Share your experiences!