We are regular visitors to Austin and always stay at the Embassy Suites near Town Lake. However, on a recent visit to Austin during the days before the Capitol 10K race, the rates at Embassy Suites were so high that we looked elsewhere. We wanted to be near Town Lake and we wanted accommodations with similar amenities to that of Embassy Suites--suite, hot breakfast, indoor pool/spa, exercise room and business center. The Residence Inn met all of these criteria and offered us a much better rate for our stay than Embassy Suites.
Things I Liked:
1. Friendly greetings from every employee we encountered during our stay
2. Great Happy Hour at the Champions Sports Bar right next door--While the alcoholic drinks were limited to beer and wine (no mixed drinks like at the Embassy Suites), the food choicest included more than we get at Embassy Suites. There was a buffet of chips, salsa, queso, Frito pie, chicken wings, chicken tenders (which were really good) and a nice salad and vegetable assortment. Also, I'm a soda drinker and I got a huge soda--no need to go back for refills as at ES.
3. Exercise Room--The room was quite large and had a lot of different equipment not found at ES. The equipment did not have the individual TVs that the ones at ES have, but there were two large flat screen TVs in the room.
4. Fully stocked kitchens. While we did not use the kitchen at this particular Residence Inn, I have used them at other locations and was glad to have them.
5. Hot Breakfast--While the breakfast was not cooked-to-order as at ES, there was plenty of hot food (eggs, sausage, French toast, etc.) and make-your-own waffles. The waffles were in the shape of the state of Texas and how can you resist that! (There were also fresh blackberries to put on the waffles which were great!)
Things I Didn't Like So Much:
1. There was only one computer for use by the guests. ES has several and a printer for free copies.
2. The proximity to Sixth Street meant that we heard music and street noise during the night. I'll admit that I'm a light sleeper, but I was awakened at 2am on a weeknight to the sound of drums and yelling. I would not want to stay here on a weekend when the noise from Sixth Street would surely be much worse.
3. The self-parking fee was $21 per night, 33% more than ES charges.
The positives of this hotel definitely outweighed the negatives and I will certainly consider staying here again as opposed to staying at Embassy Suites. However, as mentioned above, I probably would avoid this area during a weekend because I don't like noise at night. If you enjoy the scene at Sixth Street, this location would be perfect for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly-remodeled Residence Inn Austin Downtown/Convention center is in the heart of downtown adjacent to the Convention center and within walking distance of the famed 6th Street and Warehouse Entertainment District. Guests love this ideal location with easy access to all of Austin’s favorite destinations including the State Capitol and the University of Texas. The remodeled lobby features trendy designs and comfortable seating areas in the Gatehouse that are perfect to catch up with family and friends. Guests also love the onsite dining options including Champions Sports Bar & Restaurants serving over 25 draft beers as you watch the big game on their 24 HD TVs, and also the Starbucks Café which offers delicious sandwiches, pastries, and their signature coffee. The renovated, apartment-stryle Guest rooms are 50% larger than a standard hotel guest room and offer luxury Queen beds, flat-screen TVs, separate living and dining areas, and full kitchens with refrigerators, stovetops, and microwaves. Guests enjoy free WiFi, an indoor pool, and rooftop terrace offering stunning downtown Austin views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Marriott and Hotels.com so you can book your Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Austin Downtown / Hotel Austin
- Austin Residence Inn