“Just what I needed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Just what I needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

After weeks of tiring travelling, I had a few nights in this hotel and it was bliss! Great location, staff and rooms. The indoor pool and spa were a welcome bonus and the breakfast was fantastic! Highly recommended

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
redsox-wanderer,
Thank you very much for taking time to post your review about your recent down time at our hotel. We are all very pleased you were able to get some R&R from your hectic traveling and enjoy Austin and the amenities at the hotel. When you are ready to get some more needed rest just give a call so we can help you plan you next trip. Thank you for staying with us! See you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Conveniently located to Convention Center! AwEsOmE, helpful & friendly staff! Rooms were exceptionally clean & stocked! Starbucks close by. Restaurant & bar in lobby as well. We will definitely book our next stay here.

• Stayed November 2013
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
AngelaRamos,
Thank you so much for your kind words about our AmAzIng associates! They work hard each and every day to make our guest comfortable and at home. Also, thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip to Austin we look forward to your next visit! Until next time, enjoy your travels.
Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

What separates this Courtyard from the others? The staff. When I arrived for my conference (5 days), I remembered how much I was paying for the room (all hotels in this area are overpriced during convention weeks) I thought to myself that 5 days hence I was going to be writing a rather bland review. I think most Courtyard Hotels deliver the same standard room and services (although the restaurant attached was excellent) -- so there were no surprises here. And any property is beholden to the surroundings for esthetics (as noted in a recent review of this hotel, I too was facing a rather 1 star view, but every hotel in the area would have this problem as well). But the room thermostat worked perfectly and heated and cooled quickly (it was a time of the year where heat and cooling were needed), the internet speed was great and the bathroom sparkled with a shower that delivered a powerful stream of water. The staff was terrific. In general I expect a nice greeting upon arrival (when my platinum status shows up) but after that the staff would not know me from any other customer. When they were not behind the desk helping customers, they were in front of the desk and were greeters. We had some Halloween pranksters that pulled the fire alarm, and the staff handled it perfectly at the time of the event (about 3 in the morning). Upon checkout when I mentioned this event (when I was asked if I had a perfect stay), I was awarded extra points as an apology. The location is perfect --- a 90 second walk from the convention center or larger Hilton Hotel, the light rail or the $1 airport bus. (I wish I knew that when I took at $40 taxi ride from the airport). It is a about a 3-5 minute walk to 6th street (music and bars).

I do have one issue that I think all the hotels and the city needs to deal with. In order to get to the convention center or Hilton, again 90 seconds by foot, you need to walk past a small park. There were people sitting on the bench that seemed to take turns (politely) approaching a passerby asking if they could have a few words...... for the purpose of soliciting money (begging). Despite the fact the solicitors were polite it was unnerving and unwelcoming. My guess is the businesses in this area and convention center officials need to get the police to clear this area of this type of activity. What does it say about a convention center if the visitors have to deal with this???? I hope this comment urges the city to take care of this problem (yeah right) but I would trade an eyesore city for this type of threatening behavior.

In summary -- a standard Courtyard room and amenities, fairly priced for the area (but overpriced --- this is not Times Square), with a great staff.

Room Tip: I do not know what the view is looking out towards the front of the other sides, but the view lookin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Bruce C,
Thank you very much for all of your kind words. This team works hard every day to make each guest feel welcomed. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we sure hope to have the pleasure to entertain in the future.
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard while in Austin for a conference. I booked for a group through a housing bureau but was in contact with the hotel in advance to sort out some details and from then until our 4 am checkout, I was continually impressed with the courtesy, hospitality and professionalism of the staff. These folks understand customer service and made our stay a pleasure. The only downfall was a failure by housekeeping to thoroughly check all the nooks and crannies but the discarded can behind the microwave won't stop me from recommending the property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
SFSJNB,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel for your conference. Thank you for helping recognize our associates hard work and effort and I will work with Housekeeping to make sure they keep their eyes fresh and attentive to details.
Oxford, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Staying at this hotel on business this week - started off OK, then rapidly degenerated into a horrible experience, Very untypical of a Marriott property.

After having to follow up with the front desk three times on a simple request last evening I went to bed - only to be awakened by a loud siren at 206 AM with instructions to immediately exit the building. I called the front desk to confirm the alarm - and was told that it was a false alarm due to an employee error and no evacuation was needed. I was lucky - I heard many doors slamming as other occupants left. The alarm continued for about ten minutes, then finally shut off.

Fine - one alarm, made by mistake, everybody has their moments. I tried to go back to sleep, and was immediately shocked back into reality by another alarm. Another phone call to the front desk, another error.... Now sleep is looking pretty remote...

After 3 more alarms over the next two hours, each one happening just as I got back to sleep - the night was done. Hence this review - something is seriously wrong at this hotel....

I heard sirens after every alarm, so I expect that the Austin Fire Department will be grilling the hotel manager this morning - which will be WELL deserved....

Fire Alarms are serious stuff - and this hotel is out of control...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Tallguyrich,
Thank you for staying with us and I do extend and sincere apology for the 2 fire alarms that were set off during the evening. Unfortunately, as the letter we hand delivered to each room that evening explained, one of our guests thought that It would be entertaining to pull the fire alarm pull station after they had a night on the town. We have met with the Fire Marshal and provided all pertinent security camera footage. We take the safety and security of our guests extremely serious and are proud our processes ensured all guests were calmed and well informed.
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you have to walk to the convention center, this place is great. It's almost across the street. You can also walk to all the restaurants on 6th street, etc. we really enjoyed our stay . We were with a real estate convention

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
kcrobkrieger,
Thank you for taking time to post your review after your business trip to Austin. On behalf of all the associates at the hotel I want to thank you for your business. You are correct in saying we are directly across the street from the Austin Convention Center. Also the great bars and restaurants within a few blocks are some of the best in town. Don't forget Starbucks is located right in the hotel! Thank you again! See you on your next trip to town.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Liked the new property feel and interiors quality. Really really helpful front desk and bell hops. Unfortunately we were placed into a room in the back of the building facing the ugly roofs of the structures in the back alley off of 5th street. They could do better. Dirty window glass completed the pathetic view from the room. And the pet peeve is the fact that you can't open windows even by an inch. Enjoy the stuffy air and try to get rested and clear head the next morning. This just killed the rating for me.

Room Tip: ask for rooms not facing 5th Street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
vklen,
Thank you for posting your review. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Austin. We are all proud that our amazing staff took good care of you during your visit. On your next trip please let us know of the view that your desire and we can find a room that better suits your requests. For safety of those below the windows in a high rise hotel do not open. Also, in a few weeks we will have the window cleaners rappelling from the building and cleaning the windows of all the dust and debris that the construction all around us has kicked up. We look forward to the opportunity to entertain again and show you the very best experience. Thank you!

Been to Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center? Share your experiences!