What separates this Courtyard from the others? The staff. When I arrived for my conference (5 days), I remembered how much I was paying for the room (all hotels in this area are overpriced during convention weeks) I thought to myself that 5 days hence I was going to be writing a rather bland review. I think most Courtyard Hotels deliver the same standard room and services (although the restaurant attached was excellent) -- so there were no surprises here. And any property is beholden to the surroundings for esthetics (as noted in a recent review of this hotel, I too was facing a rather 1 star view, but every hotel in the area would have this problem as well). But the room thermostat worked perfectly and heated and cooled quickly (it was a time of the year where heat and cooling were needed), the internet speed was great and the bathroom sparkled with a shower that delivered a powerful stream of water. The staff was terrific. In general I expect a nice greeting upon arrival (when my platinum status shows up) but after that the staff would not know me from any other customer. When they were not behind the desk helping customers, they were in front of the desk and were greeters. We had some Halloween pranksters that pulled the fire alarm, and the staff handled it perfectly at the time of the event (about 3 in the morning). Upon checkout when I mentioned this event (when I was asked if I had a perfect stay), I was awarded extra points as an apology. The location is perfect --- a 90 second walk from the convention center or larger Hilton Hotel, the light rail or the $1 airport bus. (I wish I knew that when I took at $40 taxi ride from the airport). It is a about a 3-5 minute walk to 6th street (music and bars).
I do have one issue that I think all the hotels and the city needs to deal with. In order to get to the convention center or Hilton, again 90 seconds by foot, you need to walk past a small park. There were people sitting on the bench that seemed to take turns (politely) approaching a passerby asking if they could have a few words...... for the purpose of soliciting money (begging). Despite the fact the solicitors were polite it was unnerving and unwelcoming. My guess is the businesses in this area and convention center officials need to get the police to clear this area of this type of activity. What does it say about a convention center if the visitors have to deal with this???? I hope this comment urges the city to take care of this problem (yeah right) but I would trade an eyesore city for this type of threatening behavior.
In summary -- a standard Courtyard room and amenities, fairly priced for the area (but overpriced --- this is not Times Square), with a great staff.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Austin Downtown/ Hotel
- Courtyard Austin Downtown/ Hotel Austin
- Courtyard Austin Downtown
- Courtyard Austin
- Austin Courtyard
- Austin Marriott
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly-renovated Courtyard Austin Downtown/Convention center is conveniently located in the heart of downtown, adjacent to the Austin Convention Center. Guests will love this ideal location within walking distance of many of Austin’s favorites, such as the 6th St. music scene, the State Capitol, the University of Texas, The Austin Interactive and Music Festivals, and the trendy Warehouse District. The brand new lobby is highlighted by free WiFi, private media pod work stations, and the touch-screen GoBoard that highlights all the local events, weather, and traffic conditions. The renovated Guest Rooms offer the perfect balance of productivity with large work station with ergonomic chairs and relaxation with luxury bedding and flat-screen TVs with premium cable and free HBO. Try out our indoor pool and 24-hr fitness center to get your workout on the road. Onsite dining options include Champions Sports Bar featuring 24 HD TVs and 25 Draft Beers, and also the Starbucks Coffee Shop offering delicious pastries and their signature coffees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Courtyard Austin Downtown / Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.