“Felt like home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I just moved from IL to TX and knew no one. I stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel for about two months for work and the staff was really sweet to me. They really made me feel comfortable and like I was home. I got to know each of them a bit better because I saw them quite frequently. A few of the people that made my stay extra special were: Monica, Zach, Jason and Josh at the front desk. My housekeeper Diana always did an excellent job and is a wonderful person. Thanks so much guys!

• Stayed January 2014
Jason B, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
It was a pleasure to see your smiling face everyday in the lobby, and everyone here misses you dearly. We hope that you have adjusted well into your new home. Please come back and see us sometime!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We assumed when we picked the Kind "suite" that it would be one of the nicer rooms in the hotel. Not so much! This is apparently an area that used to be part of a small motel that the hotel bought. The rest of the hotel is in a building about 10 stories tall. These rooms are in a separate area around the pool. The quieter "suites" have a wonderful view of a parking lot on one side and the back of the pool house on the other. The rooms on the other side look out at the freeway.
If you book this type of room be aware that while there is a "kitchen area" (sink, fridge, cabinets, microwave and coffee maker) there is absolutely nothing to use in the kitchen. We called the front desk who sent us to the kitchen, who then tried to send us back to the front desk saying they had no idea why the font desk would sent our call to them. Finally we were told that you have to request to get the kitchen stuff. They then sent over two plates and two silverware sets wrapped in napkins from the restaurant. That's what you get to use in the kitchen.
In addition, there is a little living room, with a couch, but no coffee table or side tables. There is a large wooden dining table and a couple of chairs. The arrangement is not made for comfort.
Then add to that that we had to call to get them to bring pillows and a blanket for the sofa bed which we wanted to use. Oh, and the TV in the bedroom gets about a third of the channels as the one in the living room. The carpeting is the sort of indoor-outdoor type, and the ceilings are low.
Top this off with the fact that, as others have mentioned below, the front desk staff are unhelpful and just plain unfriendly and you get the picture.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. If you have a moment to reach out to me directly, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your experience. Your lengthy comments suggest you had expectations that were not met, and it would benefit not only me but future guests to understand what exactly we could have done to satisfy your needs.
Idalou, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The bed was great, the room clean but aged. Lighting was awful. The bathroom light is connected to the fan, so I had to listen to the fan the whole time I was doing hair/makeup. That is quite nerve racking. That's an easy fix, Wyndham. The front desk seemed understaffed and the Revive (with Starbucks items on the menu) coffee shop, was understaffed also. Plus, when I asked for my item they quickly told me they were not a real Starbucks and did not have many items, just coffee. There needs to be a customer service workshop in the meeting rooms, for the staff. Food was good. Wait staff nice. Again, the bed was great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jason B, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback. Your constructive comments are helpful additions to training our hotel team. We certainly are able to offer more than coffee at Revive, and I'll forward your words to our Outlets Manager so he can coach his team to use better verbiage when speaking with our guests. As for the bedding, food servers and food quality, thank you so much for your kind words!
Waxahachie, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Third stay at this hotel. Two previous visits were good. This time was not. Yellowish, gritty bits between the sheets. Not sure if it was dried foam rubber, sand, grit or bugs. Very difficult to sleep with debris and itching but didn't find until late at night when we got in. Took a sample to the manager next morning and explained but he didn't even apologize. Questionable whether we will stay at this hotel again..

Room Tip: Check the beds when you first check in. Maybe you'll get better results than I did.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
I sincerely apologize that you experienced discomfort on your recent stay with us. Our Housekeeping department takes great pride in their work, and I'm very sorry that they missed on this day. I promise you this is not a common occurance, and we certainly hope you give us another chance. Feel free to contact me directly when you make your next reservation, and I will personally inspect your room.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The clerk working was condescending and rude. I watched him treat three other families with nothing but disgust. It was a chore to even get a key. No direction to the elevators or assistance for a cart to move luggage were offered. The room was just as disappointing. The lamp & sink were both cracked. The mirror had a line of something through it. Neither the AC nor the mini-fridge worked properly. The internet was slow and the tv fuzzy. The room & bathroom had strange layouts of counters. Overall not worth the hassle. I would not stay at a Wyndham property again.

Stayed February 2014
I apologize that you thought you were mistreated. As I discussed with you at check in, our policy does not allow us to check guests in to rooms without having a valid ID that matches your reservation. As you did not have a reservation in your name, it did naturally delay your check in process. I'm sorry for this inconvenience. Our Engineering department immediately looked into all the room related concerns you noted, and any future guests can be sure that they were rectified immediately.

Been to Wyndham Garden Austin? Share your experiences!