“Disappointing Visit at the Wyndham” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #77 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Dallas Texas
“Disappointing Visit at the Wyndham”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because of participation in a conference being held on the premises. We were able to have a handicapped room. Had I been in a wheelchair, there was not room to negotiate to the beds. The bathroom, located off the entry was ok, but the toilet didn't flush properly and it ran most of the time. We were shorted the number of towels for the second night and the wastebasket wasn't emptied when the room was straighted after the first night. It smelled of stale dill pickels! The walls were very thin and we could clearly hear voices, the TV and a yipping dog all night. It was less noisy the second night. We were offered another room - but the handicapped rooms were all full. Our electronic key cards were rendered void after the first night and we had to have them redone, this regardless of the fact we had pre-paid for two nights and paid the $50.00 per night extra unpublished charge.
When we checked in we were informed we would be charged an extra $50.00 per night and when I questioned this, was told it was incase we had room service. Also, we were told it would take several weeks for our bank to credit this amount back after our stay
The beds were comfortable. The conference meals were acceptable as was the breakfast we had in the hotel cafe.
I don't think we will stay at the Wyndham, even if the yearly state conference chooses this hotel another year.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
CKokoAUSWC, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel for a less than positive stay. I use all guest comments as training opportunities to provide you with a better guest experience for your next visit. I have shared your review with my engineering team and they have addressed the running toilet in this room. It should have been caught prior to your arrival. I also spoke with our housekeeping manager and she used your detailed comments as a training tool for the housekeepers daily morning meeting. I would also like to apologize that the front desk did not explain the authorization placed on your credit card better. Most hotels authorize for room and tax plus a bit extra in case you’d like to charge room service or any other incidentals to the room. Nothing is charged unless you have a balance and the authorizations normally drop off a couple days after checkout. I am personally working with all our front desk agents to make sure they are properly explaining this at check in. I hope you’ll give us another opportunity to provide you with an excellent stay. If you’d like to discuss this please contact the hotel and I’ll be happy to speak with you. I look forward to your next visit. BeWell, Casandra Kokoska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed here overnight for a job interview in Austin. It compared well to other Wyndhams I've stayed in; and, overall my stay here was pleasant. My room was clean and comfortable. Check-in was smooth, and the staff were helpful. I have no complaints and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your nice review of the Wyndham Garden Austin. I share all reviews with our staff to make sure we are using your comments as training tools. I am very glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon.
BeWell, Casandra Kokoska
houston, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Matt upgraded us to a suite at no charge since we had the dog and son. Our first garden suite (ground level) which had the king bed, someone had been smoking in (the entire hotel is non-smoking) so Matt tried another but only 2 doubles were available. The extra space was very nice. (Three sinks, fridge, sleeper sofa, small kitchen table, etc.) We had some issues with an a/c vent that rattled all night but the maintenance guy figured it out when we called in the morning. (I went to bed after the husband and son so they were already asleep when I noticed it - so no sleep for me.) I travel with a box fan for white noise, but the suite that we were placed in had way too much freeway noise even with the fan going for my taste. The second night, I placed towels between the door & the floor and braced a chair against both doors (There were exterior doors in the bedroom - back parking lot side & one in the living area.) to close them all the way. There was about an inch give and take on the doors even when the locks were engaged. There are several grassy areas for the pets which is nice. Housekeeping & maintenance came right away in the morning when we called before we left for the day - since we were leaving the dog alone in the room it had to be while we were in the room. This is about my 7th time to stay here. I'm pretty pleased for the price and breakfast was included! I would stay in the suites again now that I know the chair trick, but would request one on the back of the hotel away from the freeway - even the side of the hotel gets the noise since they are on a corner. All in all - good for the price and accommodating for our poodle. Beds are firm which I love.

Room Tip: If you stay in a 'garden suite' get one on the back of the hotel away from the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your fine review of the Wyndham Garden Austin. I made sure to share your comments regarding our staff with everyone at the last employee luncheon. Matt was very excited to see his name on your lovely review. I also informed our engineering team about the inch give and take on your door and it has been repaired. I appreciate your bringing this to our attention. I hope we’ll see you and your family including your pet again soon.
BeWell, Casandra Kokoska
Texas City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a Friday night while visiting some friends in Austin. It was a pretty nice hotel, with friendly staff and clean rooms. Check in and check out was surprisingly fast, and check out time was 12 noon, which is convenient. The room was clean, and beds comfortable. The desk/work area was set up with handy internet connections and plugs where you could reach them. No crawling around looking for them. This would be a very comfortable and efficient hotel to stay at for work or a conference, which i gathered is this hotel's main clientele (because of the conference center). There was no charge for parking,and the toiletries in the bathroom were all Bath and Body Works products. There were instructions for the alarm, which was nice because who hasn't had trouble setting a strange alarm, or worse had one go off in the middle of the night. This alarm also has a large LED face which was a little bright for me, so I just covered it up with the notepad from the desk. My only complaints would be the hallway noise is a bit loud, but as it seemed there was some kind of girl's soccer game, so there were a lot of kids running around, and they are always loud. The bathroom was a bit small with only about 3 feet between the tub and the toilet, which did not bother me, but I could see how this might be a slight issue for some people. Also the shower water control was having issues keeping the water at the same temperature. All in all I thought we got a great deal for the night and I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, I enjoyed your very detailed review of the Wyndham Garden Austin. It means a lot fo us all here at the WG that you took time to detail your visit for us. I informed our engineering team about the temperature control in the shower and it has been resolved. Everyone here looks forward to another visit from you and your family. BeWell, Casandra Kokoska
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night, and as an overall hotel it was fine. Just a heads up though the address of south IH-35 does not work with the GPS. I think there is an alternate address (1600 Woodward or something) for the hotel as our cab driver took us for a bit of a "ride". My wife was sick and the front desk helped us get what we needed for the day. A nice average room, we pricelined the hotel for $55, and it included free internet, so all in a win for us.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

Room was clean and completely serviceable for my needs. All the staff I encountered were very pleasant and helpful. Although the small lobby restaurant was quite busy the food was tasty and didn't take long to get. Overall a good place to stay for inexpensive business trip.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and your food and beverage experience at the Wyndham Garden Austin. I look forward to seeing you again soon. BeWell, Casandra Kokoska
Portland Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I recently stayed a full week at the Wyndham in Austin. I found a great deal through Priceline and I was not disappointed in any way.

First, the hotel is beautiful. It has a very south western feel to it, but not in the way that so many hotels, restaurants, shops, etc try to "southwestern" it up. Nothing tacky or over the top. The walls are lined with numerous photos and bios of famous musicians from Texas. It was a trip up and down memory lane, looking at and reading about Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, and so many others. Texas, despite being Texas, has a storied musical history that needs to be appreciated. But enough of that.

Check in was a breeze. They were friendly and responsive. After checking in, I got a call, to ensure that the room met my standards. They did. A nice, firm bed, with enough pillows in different varieties. A nice sitting chair and a huge desk. I did a lot of work out of my room, so it was nice to have a comfortable chair to work from, as well as desk space to spread out. The TV was a new flat screen, and there was a multitude of channels, unlike what I have encountered at most other hotels. The restaurant served excellent, reasonably priced food, and delivered to the room late into the evening. I even took advantage of the fitness club and hot tub, both better than I would have expected.

I did have to pay an extra fee for a refrigerator in the room. It was delivered promptly. It was a bit old, considering that new, nicer looking units sell for not much more than what 3 guests would pay to have one in their room. It kept stuff cold, almost too much so. But it was what I needed and it worked.

The lobby area has nice seating areas, great for meeting clients or perspective employees. I utilized the area on several occasions while there. There are a number of meeting rooms, which if I needed, would have been more than suitable for any business need. And last but not least, the location of this hotel was perfect. South Austin, close to major roads and businesses. I was able to get everywhere I needed to go, with little or no trouble.

I will be going back to Austin soon, and I plan on taking advantage of the excellent service and quality that the Wyndham provided me.

Room Tip: If I had a choice, I would have asked for a room on the same floor (5th), but facing Austin. Otherw...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely and detailed review of the Wyndham Garden Austin. I shared your comments with everyone at the last staff meeting so all of our staff could hear your review. I hope you’ll be back to see us again soon. If you are and plan a longer stay for business travel, please contact our sales department to discuss setting up a corporate rate for your business. We look forward to seeing you again soon. BeWell, Casandra Kokoska

Been to Wyndham Garden Austin? Share your experiences!