“Amy Jo” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Amy Jo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I recently stayed in your hotel, The hotel seemed like it needed some work, I will say the interaction with all the staff was awesome! The front desk was very helpful, I want to mention a great employee Amy Jo who was our server! She was extremely friendly and had a great attitude and made our stay very enjoyable! I work in the service industry myself and I am always pleased when I get great service!!! Please pass this on to your staff!!, And especially Amy Jo for a job well done!!!!
Thanks!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thanks for much for your comments and shout out to Amy Jo. We always let our staff know when they are mentioned in a comment. It is truly the best way to let them know their work and hospitality are appreciated.

She hasn’t been with us long but she is a great example of how to deliver outstanding customer service. Come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Gilching, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

While it is located right next to the highway it also has quiet rooms facing away from the highway.
The frontdesk was quickly addressing my request on checkin. The room is now facing south partially looking at the highway. The background noise is however faint.
The room is clean, looks like it was recently renovated, the bathroom is clean, no cracks, signs of mold or otherwise.
Beds are comfortable.
The room has a refridgerator and microwave, the AC is an older model and rumbling when running.
Overall a nice surprise despite my earlier concerns about location.
They also offer a shuttle service on-demand not just to the airport but also other locations depending on availability.

Room Tip: Request rooms which are facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thanks for the concise comments. In prior years, before we installed double paned glass in the rooms, noise was a real problem. Since the renovation, noise complaints have dropped off to near zero. If however a guest is sensitive, we can usually offer a quiet room where no noise is present. Like most hotels in a cosmopolitan area, there’s always going to be a certain level of noise from the surrounding area.

We operate shuttle service into the downtown area from 7a-10pm and airport transportation around the clock for scheduled flights. Both are complimentary as is our parking and wifi. These amenities are a rarity in the downtown area and make us a truly good value in Austin.

Thank again for your comments and come back and see us soon.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Yes, this hotel is "older," so if you want glitz and glamour, go elsewhere. It has stood the test of time quite well. It's just minutes from downtown, UT, and all the tourist spots. Everyone on the staff is pleasant and helpful. I have a disability and travel is often challenging for me, but Paul and Alfredo miraculously rearranged my room to make it easier to get around in. The linens were plentiful and clean and the AC was quiet and easy to regulate. When I was ready to leave, Jesse helped with my luggage. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your kind comments about our staff. We’re elated that we were able to make your stay a success. Hospitality is our business and we strive to deliver it to every guest.

Paul, Alfredo and Jesse are 3 of our most accommodating associates and all provide an excellent example of how to treat a guest properly. Come back soon.
Houston TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

March 2013: We booked with a group. Our room was gross. Dirty carpets, red stain from door to the bed, beds terrible old and sagging, bad pillows. The rest in the group said their room was nice. 1 star for that room. Never again, we swore.

Hotel staff confirmed there are old sections to the hotel and newly renovated ones.

April 2013: The group was there again and the staff promised us a newer room, which we did get, so we were there again. This time: beds decent but not fantastic, pillows okay (but this time we knew to bring ours from home). Carpet clean.

Weird thing about this room was the bathroom had the sink in the outer part with no door there. There was one light switch that operated the light over the sink and the light behind the door with toilet and shower. Thus when one person showered the light filled the room. This would normally not matter much except for the odd layout of the room. The bathroom door is next to queen bed #2 at about chest level, about two feet away from the bed. So the light falls right across your chest and the light fills the room. I have never seen a hotel room layout like this!

Also they only give 3 towels so for a family of 4, ask in advance for more.

On night 2 they took all our soap, shampoo, etc. and didn't give us any replacements. I had to call for more. They brought just soap. I had to ask a second time for the hair care products. They delivered.

Pros: the air conditioning was super cold and blew all the way from the window unit across to the far bed. Wonderful.

There is free garage parking.

Our group rate included free breakfast. This is not the typical free buffet. You must have a server help you so you are waited on, even though the service was not good (no utensils, coffee they give you is stale, so I got the free stuff in the hall near the elevator). The food is standard fare of cold breads, a toaster, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs in a chafing dish, home fries, plus grits, oatmeal, make your own Belgian waffles, and an omelette station. The coffee and orange juice was free for us.

Free coffee in the hall.

Nice lobby area with bar. Lots of seating so we could hang out with a lot of people at night and there was plenty of room.

Small gift shop.

Restaurant in the lobby which we did not use.

Staff friendly but on visit #1 when we complained they just said sorry (no comps).

Room Tip: Ask for the newer renovated rooms! Bring you own pillow from home!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the constructive criticism about our property. To be clear, there are 2 towers. Although they were built at different times, both were renovated several years ago and contain the same furniture and fixtures as well as soft goods. The pillows are consistent with our brand standard and are offered in Soft and Firm as noted on the tags. We’ll soon be switching to king size pillows throughout the hotel. Additionally, we’re considering how we might change the lighting in the bath area.

We’re glad you enjoyed the complimentary parking; it’s a rare thing around downtown these days. Although it sounds as if you may have had a banquet breakfast, the breakfast offered in the Pecan Tree Restaurant is usually a buffet so most folk’s just get up and help themselves, a full menu is also offered for guest looking for a specific cooked to order item.

Overall, we’re glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will choose us the next time your plans bring you to Austin.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had stayed here for RTX last year and the location was really close to the convention center. The beds were somewhat uncomfortable and the walk from the elevator to the rooms had a weird funky smell to the building. You get to see a good view of Austin from the outdoor pool they have. Overall my expectations were met for the price I paid to stay here. Staying here is better then staying at a motel 6.

Room Tip: Keep in mind this is an old hotel and it smells funky.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thanks for the comment. Although we believe we’re more than a few notches above a Motel 6, we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. Perhaps the aroma was the complimentary popcorn since the trip to the Lake Tower elevators takes you past the Tavern.

Come on back and see us again soon.
Lewis Center, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We just returned from a vacation to Austin. Holiday inn town lake was perfect for us. It was right on the hike and bike trail and we had a great view of the lake. The pool was on the sixth floor, and although it was right next to the freeway, it seemed private enough. Ask for a room away from the freeway and you should be fine. The staff were great and the room was a little dated, but very clean. The only thing I really wished they would have had were some travel brochures or a little information about Austin other than the map of downtown. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Away from the freeway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thanks for your kind words and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You pointed out some of our more popular features such as our location on Lady Bird Lake and the rooftop pool. Easy access to the hike and bike trail is a feature many guests enjoy.

Although we’re not the newest property in Austin, I’m glad our staff made you feel at home and delivered a tidy room for your stay. Come back soon.
Hurst, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I keep coming back to this old place, being a lover of history,
Americana, and the brand itself. This time the property was chosen for me by virtue of attending a conference held in the building. I arrived around noon on a Wednesday, only to find out they could not find even one room with a partial view of the beautiful Town Lake. I got a view of a dormitory across the freeway, and a used car lot and Shell Station. There are rooms there with even less to look at, so it does get worse.

You can find prior favorable reviews of this place that I wrote. I’m very biased because I just like the old place, but it’s not a flagship property. The company built these round buildings for several years back in the 60’s and 70’s. I have to believe the design did not prove to be a great idea, because the company has ditched all but a tiny few. This one sits on a piece of dirt that all but guarantees it will remain profitable, and I believe that’s why it’s still here branded as HI.

This visit has proven to have more problems than any in the past. When I got my room, the toilet seat would not stay up, the door lock would not open without pulling and yanking, and the A/C blower was not turning. They fixed all faults in short order but not without arguing. After I told the tech I wasn’t putting up with that door, he went to the shop and got a whole new lock. I shouldn’t have to pitch a fit to get something like that fixed.

Wear and tear on the building is evident. The carpets have lost their color, and show ground in dirt. Wall plugs falling out of their sockets and TV cable too. The business center was crippled with only one of three stations working. The other two just had notes hung across the monitor “out of order.” It would be nice if someone took them to a shop or made efforts to repair them on site. They weren’t getting any attention and a hotel this big needs more than one working monitor. Also, for reasons unknown, the house phones are removed from the business center, and almost every other guest accessible place they once were. House phones present value that a cell phone cannot and they should leave at least one house phone in the business center to contact the front desk with to assist with problems.

These pie shaped rooms leave furniture space cheated and getting the furnishings in there where you can move around leaves small pathways. The older building is not going to be adequate for four guests, or a family with 2 or more kids. There just isn’t enough floor space for the luggage and collateral items, leaving the space cramped. The tub and toilet are at the inner most part of the circle and it’s tight getting in there to shower. The vanity and dressing table are placed across from a micro-closet for storage. These rooms are so small that the property doesn’t keep an iron and ironing board in each room. I’m sure they have them, but there’s no place to store it.

These elevators made by Westinghouse show their age in the door threshold, selection panel, and rehabbed floors. You can tell they are original to the building. Vandals have defaced the inside finish on many floors, and that should be covered up or repaired as it makes the building look more ghetto than it really is.

Some genius has allowed about eight food vendors housed in recycled FEMA travel trailers to set up shop right next to their parking lot. They sell every food item you would expect from a state fair. No two trailers are alike, and they are saturated in tacky. Each of them is legal, and they have their health certificates, but the whole encampment wasn’t there very long ago, and the world sure looked better that way. By today, with the 8 picnic tables and 8 travel trailers circled around an unpaved gravel park, the only word that can be used to describe this is tacky.

If you remember back before OPEC in 1973 choking off America’s oil supply and leaving us with dust in the gas pumps, you’ll remember Holiday Inn co-branding with Gulf Gasoline, and charging your room and meals on your Gulf Oil card. This inn still has it’s original Gulf station, which is still owned by Chevron after buying Gulf out. It’s in good enough shape, but it is a testament to an all but forgotten era of hotels co-marketing with oil companies, and using only one card to pay for your food, fuel, and room night. After OPEC, the feature quietly drifted into history. I think the round Holiday Inn architecture wasn’t far behind it.

After many years of operations, the company decides it needs more space, and constructed a garage and annex building on the south side of the original tower. They put it directly in view of the lake, blocking the original tower, and it’s architectural style is that of a cracker box. I don’t use those rooms, but the meeting rooms are over there, and they were in pretty good shape. One of the courtesy shuttles says this is a San Antonio inn, demonstrating that Holiday Inn doesn’t even know where they built their buildings.

I will not claim that I won't be back, but I really was disappointed with what I got and what I saw. I know they typically do better. I've been staying with them since maybe 1968, because I remember what car we drove there. It used to have a baby "great sign" on the top of the building, a most unusual version of an unforgettable American Icon. If the State keeps encroaching upon it with more and wider roads, there won't be any room left for driveway or guests. It's not likely Holiday Inn will close or discontinue this site because of location, location, and location.

Room Tip: Get lake view rooms, but they charge for that. The round building AKA the capital tower has many ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the thorough review and for giving us the opportunity to update you on some of the issues we’re currently addressing. Although some of you observations are not under our control, we can tell you that updates are in the offing.

Elevators are in the process of being renovated with new workings although the individual floor thresholds are not a part of this work. We’ll have to address that separately. As of yesterday we reinstalled and replaced the machines in the business center and assigned a staff member to check them daily. Unfortunately, they receive heavy use by guests with a wide variety of computer skills and practices. A house phone is a good idea that we’ll consider although we’ll have to install a line in that area.

All rooms in our Capital Tower should have Irons and Ironing Boards, I frequently inspect these rooms and if there was not one, there is something wrong. They are located on the inside of the closet mounted to the wall. We'll be replacing much of the carpeting in guest rooms and have recently acquired a "space age" carpet cleaner that specializes is getting micro particles out of carpeting. So far, the areas treated look brand new.

Although we regret that you didn’t receive a Riverview room, in checking the inventory for that day, we were indeed sold out. Check in time is officially 3pm and many rooms are not cleaned until that time. With so many stay overs from the previous day and an early check in, it’s understandable that the options were limited.

The food trailers near the hotel are not in any way affiliated with the hotel. I can only say that I am in total agreement with your observations. Thanks again for your comments and we’re glad you’ll be coming back at some point. Let me know in advance and I’ll do my best to assure you have another pleasant stay.

Been to Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake? Share your experiences!