“Past its prime” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Australia
“Past its prime”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is showing its age and while it seems to be located close to lake it is also VERY close to a busy freeway and the traffic noise at night is intrusive.
If possible get a room facing away from the freeway.
Has some interesting food trucks in the adjoining parking lot for a meal and is close to some tremendous bars, restaurants and live music places in Rainey street around the corner (5 minutes).
Center of city is 20 minute walk.

Room Tip: Get room facing lake not the freeway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thanks for the comment, although you mention noise, it appears as if you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy some of the attractions near the hotel.

Yes, Rainey Street has come along way in the last couple of years and is now widely recognized as a major entertainment district along with 2nd Street, 6th Street and the Warehouse District. Best thing about it is it’s close proximity at only two tenths of a mile. Usually we can just drop you off in one of our shuttles. We don’t run past 10:30p but its an easy 5 minute walk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is correct: good rooms and good breakfast. The only problem is that the pictures on the website are misleading. The hotel is by the river but is also nearby the Interstate I35 which is noisy all night long. And the view from the swimming pool is spoiled by the Interstate view and the noise. I had a room that was facing the Interstate.

Room Tip: You should ask a room that does not face the interstate.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We’re glad you enjoyed your stay but unfortunately, we have rooms facing all directions and can’t really move ourselves or the highway. If you’re a light sleeper, by all means request a room facing away from the road. We also offer earplugs if you like. Many folks don’t notice it at all since we installed double paned glass in 2008.

The photo is indeed us from across Lady Bird Lake. I’ve been in pretty much that same location and it really looks the same other than the new condos in the area. Many of our guests take advantage of the hike and bike trail. Other just like the view.

Next time be sure to ask for a quiet room if you are sensitive, we have plenty of angles that should fit the bill.
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the very expensive Formular 1 weekend at this hotel. Room was Ok but no place for our clothes. Parking is very good in the garage. Location is very good, nearly a separate freeway entrance at the hotel ;-)

Room Tip: Take the south tower with lake view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks for the review and I hope you enjoyed the race. Our closets are indeed on the small side but are pretty much standard for our type of property. Unfortunately, our international guest may find them inadequate for the clothing needed for an extended stay.

We’re just about the only property near downtown that offers complimentary parking as well as complimentary wifi. It can set you back 20-30.00 at some of our competitors. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay, come on back next year.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stay here whenever I come to Austin. I've tried a few other places and found that this is a nicer place to stay than some of the big name luxury hotels near downtown/UT. It was updated about 5yrs ago. The common areas are showing a little wear and this is an older hotel but not to the point that I find it displeasing. I always get a room with a lovely lake view. Not only is the view nice but it keeps you away from the noise of the interstate. The luxury hotels downtown don't have this advantage; I found them noisy and difficult at which to sleep. I really have enjoyed this Holiday Inn and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Lake View! These rooms are also quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It’s great to hear from one of our regular guests. Without our repeat clients, it just wouldn’t be the same. Yes we do have some lovely lake views.

It sounds like you may be one of our Priority Club members, we always try to upgrade them to view rooms. Since almost all or our rooms are of the same type, this is the best upgrade to offer.

Yes, our last total refurbishment was in 2008 but we’re in the process of another upgrade in the coming year. Come back soon and see what’s new. The great view will surely be the same
Haltom City, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I checked into the Holiday Inn Town Lake upon the recommendation of the conference I was attending. When I arrived, the man checking me in was less than welcoming. I headed up to my room and upon entering was greeted with a horrid smell. As I walked deeper into the room, I saw the beds were unmade, the refrigerator door was open with spoiled milk in it, and wet towels were on the bathroom floor. I took pictures and will upload those as well. I called the front desk, and they sent up a really helpful older gentleman I believe was on the maintenance staff. He carried my bag to my new room, went and got me a luggage rack, and offered to get me a bucket of ice. He refused to take my tip. He was the only nice part of my stay. When I checked out, I let the front desk know I was dissatisfied as this was the only time I have been checked into a filthy room at a hotel. Her response was that my room was upgraded. Really? To view the retention pond they try to convince people it's a lake? I am completely unhappy with this hotel as it was more expensive than the LaQuinta in Round Rock I stayed at the day before and more outdated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We certainly regret the miscommunication that caused you to be checked you into a dirty room. This can happen at any hotel if housekeeping gives the wrong room number or if it’s recorded wrong by the Front Desk. I’m glad we were able to remedy the situation. The older gentleman was our PM Houseman, Steve. He is one of our best and has won Employee of the Year in the past.

I’m surprised at your comment about Lady Bird Lake. It’s no “retention pond”. Lady Bird Lake, named after the former First Lady, is an impoundment of the Colorado River formed by Longhorn Dam on the east and Tom Miller Dam on the West. It’s a total of 468 Square Acres and runs the length of Austin from Lake Travis to the Lower Colorado River. The Hike and Bike Trail along the lake is nationally known as one of the longest urban hike and bike paths at 10.1 miles. I’ve attached a satellite map to give you a clearer picture of this Austin treasure.

Again, we’re sorry about the error at check in. We hope you will give us another shot the next time your travel plans include Austin.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The location is fabulous, with wonderful trails along the river and walkable to downtown. Rooms have been updated, but hallways and common areas need attention. Stained carpets, creaking and damaged elevators detract from what could be a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Request lake view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for your comment and constructive suggestions. In fact, we are in the process of addressing those very issues along with other areas of the guest experience. The elevators are getting older and will be upgraded in the coming year with new mechanics and our public area carpeting is also slated for replacement.

Additionally, our windows are being washed for the first time in several years. It’s a big job but really allows guests to enjoy the views from our guest rooms.

Thanks again and come back soon.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I were visiting from Houston for a craft fair and had an amazing time at the bar! Troy took care of us and proved to not only be a gentleman, but also a scholar and gourmand. He shared with us his recipe for making brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat. My wife's wine was a bit off and he immediately replaced it with a fresh glass and it was wonderful! He also introduced me to fat tire, an amazing beer. The next time we're in Austin, this weekend, we'll be having dinner at the Holiday Inn and we hope Troy will be there! So, Troy's boss, give that man a raise and a cigar because you've got a great guy there :-D

Best Wishes,

Patrick & Alicia

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Troy does a great job for us and we’re so glad you enjoyed your stay. We always encourage our associates to engage our guests and make them feel at home in Austin.

We also reward our associates for mentions on Trip Advisor. It may not be a cigar but we’ll make sure he’s recognized for giving outstanding service to our guests.

Been to Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake? Share your experiences!