“Great location, tired property” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #96 of 182 hotels in Austin
“Great location, tired property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is in a beautiful spot in Austin. Right on I-35 and next to Town Lake and its fabulous jogging/walking/bike riding path next to lake. The hotel itself is old, tired, not terribly clean, no service, no atmosphere and not worth the considerable price tag.
Stay somewhere else and drive to the lake.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We’re glad you enjoyed our setting and the hike and bike trail. I’m surprised at the other comments since we pride ourselves on cleanliness and service. Hopefully, next time we can show you more hospitality as other reviews indicate.

We adjust our pricing daily based on demand and the pricing of our competition as all hotels do. Yes our rates are higher when demand increases and lower when there’s nothing going on in town but I feel strongly that we are always a value given our location and amenities. Parking is free, WiFi is free and we offer free airport transportation and shuttles into downtown. At other downtown properties, you’ll pay extra for all of these, not here.

Come back soon and give us another shot to show you what we can do.

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Neubiberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The good thing about the hotel is the central location in Austin downtown, directly at the lake. For this location whole downtown area including all the restaurant are in walking distance. The bed in the room was quite good but overall the room interiour feel rather old and definitely would require a makeover. Even worse the view from my room was directly top the carpark and the freeway, which was quite noisy all night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thanks for the comment and we’re glad you enjoyed the location. We’re the best of both worlds, close to downtown and right on Lady Bird lake. For the record, it’s about a 15 minute walk to downtown but if you go by way of Rainey Street, you may not make it. There’s plenty of places that rival anything that 6th street has to offer. Yes we are not the newest hotel in town but we certainly do strive to offer the best hospitality and clean/comfortable rooms.

Be sure to look us up next time you’re in town.
Alamo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

It could of been less of a rating if I paid full price. I got the room for 39 dollars under the employee discount rate. It was me my wife and my mother in law, therefore we got a double bed room for one night (room 203). The first night we stayed at the Cross Cole center and the beds were awful like dorm beds, so I didn't get the proper sleep. The beds were way more comfortable and I enjoyed it. The room was pretty tiny but the worst part was the restroom. Really tiny triangular shaped room with a tiny toilet. The location was really great and close to downtown and the freeway. Problem was our view was the freeway and a gas station instead of the river like I thought it would be. Problems we had were a snowy TV that was fixed in less than 30 minutes and an AC that was not cooling. Had to call them twice after waiting an hour from the first call about the AC. On the second call, they said the maintenance person had just came in, even though it was an hour!? They were able to fix it.... The best part of the holiday inn was the free shuttle. Used it to get to 6th St and back before 1030 p.m, we took it just to check it 6th St and eat somewhere. So holiday inn us a good location and shuttle is great but for full price, it could of been different story. Go to the pool on the roof, wonderful view.

Room Tip: 203 has a bad view of highway and gas station. Small restroom. Use the free shuttle!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
It seems as if we didn’t live up to your expectations but I’m glad you enjoyed some of our unique amenities. Some of the difficulties you experienced are beyond our control to an extent, we’re just built that way.

The configuration of the bath in our north tower is not something we can change but there are full sized toilets in all rooms. It sounds like we were able to solve your other concerns and yes, we are proud of our comfy mattresses. That’s something we can do to provide a pleasant and productive stay for all our guests.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The people working at the Hoiliday Inn are very friendly and helpful! The staff went above and beyond to make my stay great - they even helped me charge my phone when I forgot my charger!
Thanks Again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thanks for your comment. One of our main goals is to provide this level of service to each and every guest. It’s going above and beyond that sets us apart for the rest and we appreciate the recognition
Lorain, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here recently for a week, and had a fine time! The hotel is located close to Austin's downtown and Convention Center, with beautiful views out over the lake and nice hiking/biking trails nearby. The rooms are clean and well maintained, with comfortable matresses and nice amenities. Not having a car there, we used the free, twice-hourly van service often to get to destinations in the downtown and university areas. The most important factor, however, and the one that prompted this reveiw, is the wonderful service I received from Amber, of the front desk staff. When, later one evening, I realized I had not filled a prescription I had brought with me, and I was short on my medication, Amber used the van to take me to three different pharmacies until we found one that could fill the prescription, which entailed over an hour of traveling around South Austin in the van. To me, this is service over and above expectations, and I especially appreciate Amber's genuine patience and friendlness in carrying out this task! I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and associates, if their business took them to downtown Austin.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room overlooking the lake, they are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Way to go Amber! She one of our finest and thank you for recognizing her. We strive to WOW our guests daily and this is a great example.

Thanks for your other comments about the hotel. You covered it all and we appreciate it.
Whitney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Is central to most Austin attractions, but travel by car is still required. The hotel is clean and parking is secure. Wifi was OK.Dining room was ok, but not as nice as we had hoped. Service was good everywhere in the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the south side for a view of Townlake.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the comments, short and concise. Many guests enjoy our location, close to downtown but not too close.

Next time check with the desk to see if our complimentary shuttle can drop you off at your desired destination. It’s a good alternative if you’re headed downtown to dine or otherwise. Come back soon.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times for business, but this hotel is not for everyone. Here's my list of the good and the bad:

Good
1) Friendly and quick check-in. This hotel appears to be a high volume hotel, and the front desk staff gets you in and out quickly. There has always been at least two people at the check-in desk when I have been there. The check-in service is nothing memorable, but nothing negative to speak of either.
2) The location is excellent if you need to access downtown area or convention center quickly.
3) Running trails are adjacent to hotel property. If running or biking is your thing, then this hotel is a good pick for you. The trail runs alongside the lake adjacent to the hotel and goes for at least three miles. I only ran three miles and then turned around.
4) Clean rooms. I've never had an issue with a dirty room here. All of the rooms I've stayed in have been clean and stocked properly.
5) Full service hotel. I rarely ever have the need for a full service hotel, but every now and then it's nice to order room service or have a beer at the bar.

Bad
1) Price. The room prices are ridiculous at this hotel as well as others in the downtown area. If you don't mind being a short drive from downtown, there are much cheaper hotels to choose from in Buda, Sunset Valley, Pflugerville, Round Rock or the airport. Do not stay here if you're looking for a cheaper rate.
2) Parking. Parking can be a pain to figure out the first few times. There's a parking garage, but you have to take two different elevators to finally get to your room. Additionally, the parking spots are very narrow. On one occasion I had significant hood damage on my car from someone backing into it.
3) Rooms are nothing special. The rooms here are standard, older hotel rooms and nothing to be excited about (but they are clean). Some rooms have a nice view overlooking the lake, but you could also get a room overlooking the aweful Austin traffic on I-35.
4) The pool area is very small. I took my wife and two kids here one time and we were ok until three other people showed up to swim. It was too crowded after that.
5) TV is not HD. I'm still surprised at this one. Why would I want to pay twice the price for a hotel room and not get HD television? Just saying.
6) Internet is about as slow as it gets. If you have a 4G data tether option on your phone, don't even bother with the hotel internet connection. My connection speed was 5x faster on my phone than the hotel connection. It's hard to believe that a place this expensive doesn't even have up-to-date internet speeds. One more thing... what's up with changing the internet password the next day? Such a pain.

Room Tip: Stay on the outskirts of Austin if you want to save money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the detailed review. Yes we do have a friendly staff, we work hard every day to assure friendly and efficient service. We’re not the newest hotel in town but we can certainly provide the best experience possible.

We’re glad you got to take advantage of our location on the lake. Many of our guests will only stay with us because that run or just like to stroll the paths. It’s a total of over 14 miles and extends to Zilker Park on the west and Fiesta Gardens to the east. Overall it’s one of Austin’s most precious gems.

WiFi can be problematic when a full house of users needs access. It simply divides up the signal and slows down particularly if there’s a lot of streaming going on. We’ve recently expanded our band width to address this and are considering other alternatives as technology allows.

Overall, thanks for your comments and your time. We hope you will come back soon the next time Austin is in your travel plans.

Been to Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake? Share your experiences!