“Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 187 Hotels in Austin
New York City, New York
“Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The people working at the Hoiliday Inn are very friendly and helpful! The staff went above and beyond to make my stay great - they even helped me charge my phone when I forgot my charger!
Thanks Again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thanks for your comment. One of our main goals is to provide this level of service to each and every guest. It’s going above and beyond that sets us apart for the rest and we appreciate the recognition

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Lorain, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here recently for a week, and had a fine time! The hotel is located close to Austin's downtown and Convention Center, with beautiful views out over the lake and nice hiking/biking trails nearby. The rooms are clean and well maintained, with comfortable matresses and nice amenities. Not having a car there, we used the free, twice-hourly van service often to get to destinations in the downtown and university areas. The most important factor, however, and the one that prompted this reveiw, is the wonderful service I received from Amber, of the front desk staff. When, later one evening, I realized I had not filled a prescription I had brought with me, and I was short on my medication, Amber used the van to take me to three different pharmacies until we found one that could fill the prescription, which entailed over an hour of traveling around South Austin in the van. To me, this is service over and above expectations, and I especially appreciate Amber's genuine patience and friendlness in carrying out this task! I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and associates, if their business took them to downtown Austin.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room overlooking the lake, they are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Way to go Amber! She one of our finest and thank you for recognizing her. We strive to WOW our guests daily and this is a great example.

Thanks for your other comments about the hotel. You covered it all and we appreciate it.
Whitney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Is central to most Austin attractions, but travel by car is still required. The hotel is clean and parking is secure. Wifi was OK.Dining room was ok, but not as nice as we had hoped. Service was good everywhere in the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the south side for a view of Townlake.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the comments, short and concise. Many guests enjoy our location, close to downtown but not too close.

Next time check with the desk to see if our complimentary shuttle can drop you off at your desired destination. It’s a good alternative if you’re headed downtown to dine or otherwise. Come back soon.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times for business, but this hotel is not for everyone. Here's my list of the good and the bad:

Good
1) Friendly and quick check-in. This hotel appears to be a high volume hotel, and the front desk staff gets you in and out quickly. There has always been at least two people at the check-in desk when I have been there. The check-in service is nothing memorable, but nothing negative to speak of either.
2) The location is excellent if you need to access downtown area or convention center quickly.
3) Running trails are adjacent to hotel property. If running or biking is your thing, then this hotel is a good pick for you. The trail runs alongside the lake adjacent to the hotel and goes for at least three miles. I only ran three miles and then turned around.
4) Clean rooms. I've never had an issue with a dirty room here. All of the rooms I've stayed in have been clean and stocked properly.
5) Full service hotel. I rarely ever have the need for a full service hotel, but every now and then it's nice to order room service or have a beer at the bar.

Bad
1) Price. The room prices are ridiculous at this hotel as well as others in the downtown area. If you don't mind being a short drive from downtown, there are much cheaper hotels to choose from in Buda, Sunset Valley, Pflugerville, Round Rock or the airport. Do not stay here if you're looking for a cheaper rate.
2) Parking. Parking can be a pain to figure out the first few times. There's a parking garage, but you have to take two different elevators to finally get to your room. Additionally, the parking spots are very narrow. On one occasion I had significant hood damage on my car from someone backing into it.
3) Rooms are nothing special. The rooms here are standard, older hotel rooms and nothing to be excited about (but they are clean). Some rooms have a nice view overlooking the lake, but you could also get a room overlooking the aweful Austin traffic on I-35.
4) The pool area is very small. I took my wife and two kids here one time and we were ok until three other people showed up to swim. It was too crowded after that.
5) TV is not HD. I'm still surprised at this one. Why would I want to pay twice the price for a hotel room and not get HD television? Just saying.
6) Internet is about as slow as it gets. If you have a 4G data tether option on your phone, don't even bother with the hotel internet connection. My connection speed was 5x faster on my phone than the hotel connection. It's hard to believe that a place this expensive doesn't even have up-to-date internet speeds. One more thing... what's up with changing the internet password the next day? Such a pain.

Room Tip: Stay on the outskirts of Austin if you want to save money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the detailed review. Yes we do have a friendly staff, we work hard every day to assure friendly and efficient service. We’re not the newest hotel in town but we can certainly provide the best experience possible.

We’re glad you got to take advantage of our location on the lake. Many of our guests will only stay with us because that run or just like to stroll the paths. It’s a total of over 14 miles and extends to Zilker Park on the west and Fiesta Gardens to the east. Overall it’s one of Austin’s most precious gems.

We adjust our pricing daily based on demand and the pricing of our competition as all hotels do. Yes our rates are higher when demand increases and lower when there’s nothing going on in town but I feel strongly that we are always a value given our location and amenities. Parking is free, WiFi is free and we offer free airport transportation and shuttles into downtown. At other downtown properties, you’ll pay extra for all of these, not here.

WiFi can be problematic when a full house of users needs access. It simply divides up the signal and slows down particularly if there’s a lot of streaming going on. We’ve recently expanded our band width to address this and are considering other alternatives as technology allows.

Overall, thanks for your comments and your time. We hope you will come back soon the next time Austin is in your travel plans.
Spring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel made our stay in Austin awesome. We came down for the weekend and booked reservations at the Holiday Inn-Town Lake. When we got there they had upgraded us to the top floor overlooking the lake. It was beautiful. The rooms were large and very up-to-date. The hotel offers ample parking free which was a nice plus considering the month before we had stayed in San Antonio and paid 40.00 in parking. If you are wanting to visit 6th street or South Congress area you are about a mile away. We drove to 6th street and had to find parking, it would of probably been better to walk. There are beautiful paths to South Congress if you do choose to walk to that area The best part of the hotel is it was so quiet. Our traveling companions stayed right on 6th street and they were kept up all night with people coming in and out all hours of the night. I would highly recommend to stay here. Close enough to the attractions but far enough from the noise!!

Room Tip: Try to ask for the Lake Side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow, thanks so much for the great review. Yes, we do offer the best of both worlds in Austin. It’s about a 15-20 minute walk to the heart of downtown. The hike and bike trail can put you right on Congress or next to the Four Seasons near the 2nd Street District. You can also go north to Rainey Street and proceed to downtown from there.

Rainey Street is the new hot spot in town for night life with its converted bungalows and new restaurants. It’s really about a 5 minute walk from the hotel or have our shuttle drop you off there. Either way, we hope you will come back soon and enjoy Austin.
wagoner ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

i was very pleased with the staff. The hotel sits right by the lake with beautiful biking and running trails.
the staff knows their business when it comes to Customer service. Jesse was the gentleman at the front desk and had excellent people skills.
the restruant had great food. The best hamburger I had in a long time
I left my phone charger and they shipped it back to me.
I love this place

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We do have really good hamburgers don’t we? Thanks for the positive comment about your stay and we’re happy that you enjoyed our location and service. Jesse provides excellent leadership at the front desk and it show in experiences like yours. Come back soon.
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I arrived at the hotel to be cheerfully greeted by the Front Desk Manager, Aaron Goman. I made a special request to have a King Room on the lake side as high up as we could get. Mr. Goman went out of his way to make our request happen. He was so professional and friendly, taking extra time to make sure that we were taken care of and explaining all the hotel amenities. As promised, the room was very nice with a beautiful view. We met friends for drinks in the bar which we found very cozy. The drinks and service were great with the drinks reasonably priced. I loved the "FREE" covered parking. The food and service at the breakfast buffet were excellent. But the very best thing at the hotel was Mr. Aaron Goman. He made my day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We’re elated that you enjoyed your stay and hope to host you again soon. Yes Aaron, our Front Desk Supervisor, represents us well. We strive at all levels to extend exemplary service to all guests, every day.

We’re also glad that you were able to enjoy some of our other amenities, like the free parking, it’s rare near the downtown area. Thanks for your comments, I’ll relay them to Aaron.

Been to Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake? Share your experiences!