“don't believe the negative reviews!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #92 of 182 hotels in Austin
Kelowna
“don't believe the negative reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Frankly, I was a little bit leery when I booked to stay at this hotel, judging by some of the negative reviews that it had received. In the end, the place turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. While it is an older Holiday Inn, the location is excellent and the staff are, with one small exception, real assets to the hotel. They genuinely seem to enjoy the work that they are doing, and it shows! To top off your stay, try and get a room overlooking the lake - far easier on the eyes than the freeway on the other side. Overall, well worth it!

Room Tip: try for a room overlooking the lake, even if you have to pay a little extra
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel could have been so much better with just a little effort and caring from management and staff.
First off, the location can't be beat, just steps away from the park, with kayaking, walking/jogging and bike trails. It’s a shame they are not a pet friendly hotel.
When checking in the staff member who greeted us seemed listless and uncaring, not even a hello or a welcome. This was not the only Holiday inn staff member that seemed unhappy with their job. The bar area staff seemed to be the only ones happy to be there.
The hotel claims the rooms were recently remodeled. I saw areas in the room that look like an attempted had been made, such as new sinks and vanities in the bathroom, however, that’s where it ends, the room looked as if it needed to be painted, the furniture was old and mismatched, and the TV was the old tube style and the bed sagged in the middle and had no support..
Why go through the bother of updating just a few select areas of a room, and leave old mattresses and carpet in the room and hallways? Speaking of the carpet, the hallway carpet was old,faded and stained in some areas, it badly needs to be replaced.
I’m not sure if holiday inn is having financial troubles, but around the hotel we would find things like broken door knobs, ripped chairs in the lobby, ice machines on several floors that did not work, and large yellow maintenance sign in the elevator was there every day for no apparent reason and needed to be moved. The ice machine on our floor did not work, I had to go to several floors before I found on that did, Only the 3rd floor ice machine worked, I brought this to the attention of the front desk staff which told me they would have a maintenance engineer take a look at it, 4 days later, still broken, obviously not a major concern for holiday inn. There are all easy fixes but yet holiday inn management does nothing about it, the problems around the hotel seem totally ignored. Another reason I feel they may be in financial trouble is, they do not have hair conditioner for the guest, only shampoo. I went downstairs to inquire if I could get some and was told they no longer supply it to guest as they took a survey and guests have said they never use it, and that most hotel no longer give out hair conditioner. I find this hard to believe as I travel quite a bit on business and every hotel I have stayed at supplies hair conditioner, or atleast a 2 in 1 product, talk about cheap.
There was no information about the hotel services in the room, I found out on the 3rd night they have a movie theater by the bar area in the lobby with free popcorn. I also found out later in my stay that they had bikes for guest to use, again no mention of this from the staff or in the room . The bikes are a nice touch, however they are very old and in poor condition, I would not go very far with them.
The workout area is nice and updated, as is the guest computer area. The computer area is very busy. People seem to camp out in there and ignore the time limit which is not enforced, so I was not able to use the PCs.
The pool area is on the top floor and is very small. There is no shade up there as they don’t even have umbrellas to block the harsh Texas sun. The pool did not look inviting since its located right next to a busy freeway and very noisy.
This is a very busy hotel on weekends and although parking is free, it’s very difficult to find a space in the main parking lot which then forces you into the multi-level parking garage which has multiple signs warning that the holiday inn is not responsible for damage or theft, not a reassuring thing to see when parking your vehicle.
On my next trip to Austin I will find another hotel for my stay... If the holiday inn refuses to fix simple items like an ice machine, and broken door knobs, it shows they simply don’t care, and I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
todped, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Thanks for your detailed review. Few guests take the time to let other travelers know what to expect.

However, I do need correct a few errors and add a few updates. The entire property was renovated in late 2008. We’re on a 5 year schedule that is standard for the industry. Our challenge is the fact that our property gets tremendous wear. Depending on the month, we average between 75-85% occupancy so every room is occupied 8 out of 10 days. Yes we are a busy place. Coordinating simple repairs and preventative maintenance is a well managed balance that we review daily but is seldom seem by our guests. For instance, the remainders of our flat screen televisions are in house and simply awaiting specific empty rooms for installation. Mattresses are also in the process of replacement based on an assessment of each room. We have nearly 500 of them. These are a few items that are being phased in without a complete renovation. Ice machines are also capital items headed for replacement. As in all hotels, these are repaired until they are no longer useful. They too will be made operational or replaced. I can assure you that these challenges are not ignored.

I have to assume that the door knobs referred to are room doors in our north tower. By design, these open to the right and not to the left. It prevents the handle from contacting the frame and causing injury.

We did indeed survey our guests and discontinued the combo Shampoo/Conditioner. They preferred a quality shampoo over the combination. Our bath amenities comply fully with Holiday Inn Standards. Hotel directories are also standard and should be in all rooms. Our rooftop pool is one of our signature amenities. Unfortunately frequent high winds don’t allow umbrellas. Our parking lot is another asset as we are one of the only hotels in the downtown area to offer free parking. The garage is gated and patrolled frequently, particularly at night.

The bicycles belong to an in house contractor, Gliding Revolution, who also rent Kayaks and does Segway tours. Upon reading your review, I checked the bikes and found them to be in good order. Their bikes are the cruiser type. We also allow guests to park bike in the rack. These are usually geared bikes and some may not have been up to a safe standard.

Again, thanks for your review. All valid points that we review daily as they arise. Although we did not live up to your expectations, we hope you will give us another shot the next time you visit Austin.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I read a number of reviews here from earlier in 2011. Apparently, the hotel was remodeling, and based on the lobby and the room, they must have finished. Sure, the hallways seemed a touch worn, but nowhere near the horror-stories I read about here.

I found the room on Priceline and it faced the highway -- there was some road noise, but the AC made enough white noise to help. I have had much worse, and I travel frequently for work, staying in 3,4 and 5 star properties regularly.

For the Priceline price, I was happy. I wouldn't have been as happy if I'd paid "full retail."

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Macomb, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed two nights at this facility with my daughter. We arrived early and was told our room would be ready in two hours. When we came back our room still wasn't ready and we were given complimentary drinks.

When we initially tried to check in, I mentioned that I was told I would have a lake view and the front desk staff said that wasn't the case but they held a room for me with a partial view that was very nice.

The room and overall accommodations were nice and the hotel staff were great. It was an easy trip in to the city and to get out and about. The one drawback is the hotel is right off the freeway so there is quite a bit of road noise.

Overall, we had a great stay at this facility and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review. We pride ourselves on the quality of our staff and work to maintain a high level of service and hospitality from the time they are hired and thereafter.

Since we installed double pained glass in 2008, the noise is far less that it was but you can still hear the highway from some rooms. We offer soft foam ear plugs in case they are needed.

Again, Thanks for you comment. We're not the newest or the most luxurious hotel in town but we can certainly be the friendliest.
Houston TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed here one night on a business trip- looked for something reasonably priced in South Austin. Holiday Inn is convenient to Travis Heights as well as the Capitol are, 6th St. But the location is awkward to navigate to and parking at the hotel is not the best. The "free" shuttle is only available with a reservation an hour or two in advance, making it somewhat difficult to plan. This may have something to do with the traffic in Austin, & not be the hotel's fault. All in all, the rooms were clean, remodeled. The pillows were horribly uncomfortable, so bring your own if you like a softer place to put your head. The pool & workout room was very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are priced $30 more nightly, but you can negotiaite
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
rehovot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We arrived on Friday July 29th. The lobby was very busy. As Priority members of Holiday Inn we should have given watter and some sweets, we were not offered. We found it only when we went down and asked the loby for room service or restorant menu. Our room was empty from any information.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We liked this hotel.
Did get a upgrade for the room for free.
And the room was perfect.
Pool was very nice.
In the evening we watch the bats fly fom under the bridge.
Close to the hotel.
We liked Austin also very nice city to visit.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake? Share your experiences!