“Best hostel yet” 5 of 5 stars

2602 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78705   |
Ranked #6 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Austin
“Best hostel yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Excellent location and really friendly staff make this place standout. Throw in the wifi, comfy beds and really reasonable prices and you're onto a winner. I'm already planning my SXSW jaunt for next year and I'll definitely be trying to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a great place to stay, brand new, great bedding, beds are a bit noisy & the bottom bunk is a little bit squishy (you can't sit up in bed without hitting your head on the bunk above). The bathroom & toilet is shared between the 2 rooms which is really annoying! Breakfast is average - just toast & the kitchen is really disappointing, there is no cooking facilities such as a stove! Location is awesome & you get a free beer @ Hole in the Wall just watch out for the Thai Noodle parking nazi downstairs! Also only one private room which is always booked out!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Overall: Very clean, friendly staff and fellow travelers, usually quiet after 11pm or midnight-ish, very convenient location to restaurants/ shops/ stores/ bus lines. Washer/ dryer provided for laundry. Ensuite bathrooms. Mini-fridge in rooms. Locks on outside door and rooms. Lockers with optional $5 padlocks with keys. Great price. Non-smoking.

Details:
I stayed in the 6-bed all-female room for four nights, from Wed til Mon, for an annual dance event, Hot Rhythm Holiday. They also have a co-ed 4-person room (not sure how many of these), co-ed 6-person rooms, and a one-person queen-bed room.

You're given two keys, one for the outside door and one for your room. There is a $10 refundable deposit when you return the keys when you check out. When you check in, you have to sign and give your passport# or driver's license#.

Lockers are also provided, which are horizontal and I was told would fit backpacks. I kept my carry-on bag under my bottom bunk bed and used the locker for extra space and valuables. I also bought from the hostel a padlock with keys for $5.

The ensuite bathroom is shared with an adjacent room. The wait time was actually all right; the bathroom was free at certain hours like 6am, 10am, or after midnight. I was told that if I wanted, I could go to another room and see if I could use their bathroom.

There is no sink in the bathroom, which was awkward at first if you like to be sanitary, but I used toilet paper to lock/ unlock and open/ close the doors and to turn on/ off the light and fan.

Towels can be rented for $3. I personally brought a travel towel from REI that is quick-dry and soft and thin/ easy to pack. There are no hooks to dry the towels -- I saw people hang them from the top bunk, and copied.

Water can take a while to get hot. I turned on the water first when I enter the bathroom to let it run for a bit. The pressure and temperature can change, so you may have to adjust the temperature accordingly. Pressure overall is pretty good, I like it to be more on the powerful side, and the shower pressure was satisfying. There is a two-shelf hanging shower accessory with room to put travel-size bottles or shavers in.

There is a common room that's open 24 hours. Books and some games are provided. There is a TV and DVD player.

The kitchen has a fridge, microwave, and sink, no stove or dishwasher. Dishes, cups, and utensils are provided that you must hand-wash yourself. There is a Brita-filtrated water pitcher and paper towel. All kinds of tea provided (loved this), maybe 8. I'm sure there was coffee, but didn't pay attention to that since I don't drink it. The room is locked at 1am and is open at 7am, when they provide breakfast until 11am. I have never been to the breakfast, so I don't know what is served exactly, but I know at least fruit when I saw them start to prepare.

For laundry, there is one washer and one dryer located in the kitchen -- this room closes at 1 am and opens again at 7am. The washer and dryer take quarters, and both cost $1 to use. You can get change from the front desk. The washer and dryer are not usable from 10am til 1pm when the hostel uses them to launder bedding and towels. I was gone pretty much all day and when I could have used the washer/ dryer, they were occupied. For my situation, it would have been ideal to use them in the middle of the night, but the room is closed during that time. I had clothes to rotate, but I would have washed a few items to feel more confident in them. Maybe next time I'll ask someone washing the same types of clothes (ex., delicate, permanent, regular) if I can add my stuff with theirs because I had so few items, or I'll ask if anyone wants to add their clothes with mine, and pitch in with paying, of course.

Room: Metal bunkbeds with dark sheets. I brought a little blanket from Old Navy that was soft and useful to use with the provided bedsheet when it was too warm to use the provided duvet. I chose the bottom bunk and used the space underneath for my stuff. I couldn't sit completely straight sitting on the bed. Mattress was covered in some plastic tarp-like material, same with the pillow I think. Power outlets: one over countertop, one next to bathroom door, and two on the wall where the middle bunk bed is at -- you can ask the person occupying the bottom bunk if you can use one.

Locking the room door: The door has two bolt locks, ignore the top one (door frame doesn't accommodate this one), use the bottom one. I locked the room when no one was in there or at night, or if someone was sleeping/ just felt better to lock.

Room comes with a mini-fridge. Very very helpful -- I used it for food from 7-11 next door (Chobani greek yogurt, frozen foods), restaurant leftovers, and food I brought from home.

Room and bathroom were cleaned every day: Countertop wiped, carpet vacuumed, toilet bowl cleaned and toilet paper rolls refreshed. If you want clean sheets during your stay, just remove them in the morning probably before 10am-ish and they will be replaced.

People are friendly and smile and say hi. I enjoyed talking with them in the common room or kitchen. I really enjoyed talking with the other girls in the room I shared, it was fun to hear their stories and why they came to Austin.

Staff friendly and helpful -- they will readily give you suggestions while chatting and greet you as you pass them by. There is a giant whiteboard with weekly goings-on and the daily weather forecast. Laidback music played by the front desk in the morning and throughout the day. Impromptu BBQs outside with people pitching $$ for the food. I was invited to a BBQ and a music outing for a night.

Location is super convenient, the best. It is 10-minute walking distance to the venue I went to every day for the dance event. There's a Thai restaurant downstairs, same building. 7-11 next door that has fresh fruit, yogurt, good snacks, and travel-size soap, toothpaste, etc. Bus stops are less than a block away. So many shops and restaurants that are easy to walk to, and the blocks are pretty short. I was told by the front desk and by an organizer for the dance event that the location is safe, I can walk around at night with no worries. So at 9:30pm, I took the bus to the hostel from the airport for $2 (for two buses, $1 fare), which took about an hour. I used the Trip Planner on the city's Capital Metro website (http://www.capmetro.org/planner/) that gave me a straightforward route, finally getting off at Guadalupe & Dean Keeton (you can tell the drivers where you'd like to get off). At Guadalupe & Dean Keeton, I walked not even a half block up Guadalupe to cross the street across and then up toward the hostel. (At the second bus stop en route, there were less people milling about and just a few businesses, but it was lit. If you have a smart phone, you can look up the bus stop# and bus# at the URL provided at the bus stop, which very very helpfully tells you when the next bus is coming. Otherwise, there is no schedule provided at the stop.)

The hostel is tucked a little out of the way, which can be tricky when you are taking the taxi or Supershuttle. I almost missed my Supershuttle, which was waiting at a different little alleyway on the other side of the 7-11, while I was at another little alleyway. I was told by the driver that for next time, to wait at the building and give specific landmarks/ instructions while making a reservation.

The hostel is non-smoking, but smoke can drift into the hallway and rooms if people smoke on the stairway that leads to the hostel.

There is no lockout time or night curfew. There's someone at the front desk from 7am to 1am. Outside of those hours, you can call a number provided at the outside door to get in if need be, but you are given a key for the outside door when you check in, along with your room key.

It can get loud in the morning and at night, but after maybe 11am and midnight-ish, it gets pretty quiet.

Price is great. When making a reservation on the hostel's website, it doesn't mention taxes while doing pricing, which was about $30 in addition to the hostel rate for four nights (so maybe about $7.50 taxes per night for a $25 rate). You have to give your credit card number to ensure the reservation.

I'm really glad I stayed at this place for its price, cleanliness, safe and convenient location, and community feel (in that order), and I would stay here again.

Other details (as of January 2014):

Key deposit: $10 (refundable upon returning keys)
Towel rental: $3
Padlock (with keys vs. combination): $5
Checkout time: 11am (if need to check out before 7am when the front desk opens, be sure to contact about that beforehand)
Office hours: 7am to 1am (outside of these hours, you can call a provided number on the outside door to get inside)
Washer: $1 (not usable from 10am til 1pm)
Dryer: $1 (not usable from 10am til 1pm)
Breakfast: 7am til 11am
Cancellation: 48 hours

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Drifter Jack's is all about the love! One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. It's got a family feel about it, all the staff are amazing, Andy and Carlos will be the best night time tour guides you've ever had! It's brand new so rooms and bathrooms are very clean. You'll make some great friends and experience the best of Austin. Don't you dare stay for less than three nights!

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed at Drifter Jack's for three nights, and found it to be a fantastic hostel! All of the rooms are covered in great artwork, the staff are extrenely helpful and friendly, and it has a really nice community feel. Only qualms are that the rooms have poor air circulation, the common area is frigid in the winter, and the kitchen is limited as far as cooking equipment.

P.S. Be prepared for a ton of Australians.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

If you're in Austin for the party scene this is the perfect hostel for you. Lots of social and night life going on. It was great that lots of the staff were so hands on and took groups out at night - which clearly wasn't required of them.

If you're in Austin for anything other than partying I would recommend somewhere else since the drinking/shenanigans tend to run from about 8pm and go as late (early?) as 4am. Def not a bad thing just giving fair warning. The hostel has more of a "college dorm" feel than anything else.

All in all very welcoming place. The owner is very friendly.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Killeen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

For my first time at a this hotel, Drifter Jacks is pretty good at first impressions! All though it was a bit of an adventure to find since it is secluded, the service and rooms are great! The art work all over the walls is pretty reminiscent of Adventure Time and easily catches the eye. The rooms are typically 6 to a room but there is still good space to place your things and the hostel is only a short bus ride from Downtown Austin if your looking for nightlife. They will definitely see me again :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Drifter Jack's Hostel? Share your experiences!