“Very nice Stay..clean- quiet-good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #57 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Very nice Stay..clean- quiet-good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

As a travel agent, I like to get for what I pay. We paid a fantastic rate for a hotel that offers simple elegance and cleanliness. Room and b/room were very clean. Nice towels, not scruffy or too soft. I hate scratchy towels or those that are so soft they don't absorb anything..The hotel is almost completely renovated, even most of the landscaping is new. Some areas need completion. I liked the pool area, and the shady trees, where you can lounge, read, meet with friends, etc. The hotel offers a gym and a laundry room, free internet, free parking and much more. It's located in a quiet area, 35E and 1222, but close to everything. Walking distance to the Greyhound Bus station. Just 5 minutes from downtown and UT Austin. A short drive to many stores and many restaurants. We had a Continental breakfast in their rest., but they offer a great buffet breakfast for a very good price as well. I would definitely stay here again.
The only thing I was a little concerned with was the rear entrance. This entrance is open to anyone, which concerns me a little, since it's dark at night. I would suggest the management to make it safer, please. Lights and a key scanner for entry?? Thanks..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
emonette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Dear Fran,
Thanks for all the kudos about the hotel. We strive hard to exceed our customers expectations so when our guests give us a thumbs up we just LOVE IT!

Glad you liked our houskeeping and appointments for the room. Our Director of Housekeeping has a dedicated staff and she is one of the best I have worked with. I am sure her people will be happy to see your comments. Please note we have a professional security staff and can provide a car to door escort.

When you come back please call me and we will do something special to make your next stay even better!

Mike Barnett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Laguna Vista, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

This is our new hotel of choice in Austin. The location seemed safe and was quiet. Access to the expressway and other driving routes was simple even for out-of-towners. We could walk to retail stores and a mall, and it was a short and easy drive to midpriced restaurants. The hotel restaurant served us some surprisingly excellent upscale meals. The grounds, facilities, and lay-out of the rooms were all superior. The rooms were not newly decorated- but were clean, comfortable and had large balconies. The staff was more than helpful and very courteous even though I classify myself as a picky customer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Room was OK ... the ice machines didn't work. Halls were hot. Was formally a Ramada Inn and they are doing renovations. Has potential. If I hadn't gotten it as a great deal on Priceline, would have been really negative.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
GM1Austin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2010
We pay close attention to what our customers are saying. We therefore appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

In regards to your particular visit please note that we had an electrical malfunction with one of our untis in the tower section of the hotel. We were able to diagnose the problem and provde the necessary fix. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. In reference to the ice machines we have purchased new ones and they have been installed. This underwrites our commitment to improving our hotel and yes we are renovating but we were never a Ramada Inn but a Radisson.

Thank You again for your input and we look forward to you staying with us again.

Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Good choice if you want to stay out of the city without being too far. The bus service is frequent and right in front of the hotel - very convenient and takes you straight downtown without any changes. The ride was nice too because you go through a residential area, so it's nice to see the real Texas.

Room had a strong musty smell when I walked in, but I was too tired to ask for a room change. I opened the windows and it was fine after 30-min or so. Bed was big and comfy, big fluffy pillows, large TV. Bathroom's a little small, but nothing to complain about. Sound wasn't an issue either.

Staff was very friendly through check-in and check-out.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Thank You very much for the nice comments on our hotel. We always strive to do our best and you are right we are well located to UT and downtown. Just a few minutes and you are there.

We look forward to your return and will continue to provide the best in product and service.

Best Regards,
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

At first, I really want to give this hotel a good review but then I have to tell the truth.

When we're arrived, the receptionist did not even smile to greet us nor show the hospitality. Training would be good for him.

When we entered the room, it seemed clean and spacious. I was happy and promised myself to write a good review for this being renovated hotel, regardless the location was beside a dead mall. We have to appreciate the effort of the management that tries to build a good image of this hotel. Also in the room, there is a notice to write a comment in Trip Advisor. Not many hotel dares to ask a feedback from its customers. So this is a good point to show their effort to improve.

But then, suddenly there was a cockroach climbed the lamp near the bed. After chasing it, I was succesfully killing it (I have a picture of this). The whole night, we could not sleep well...worrying there were more cockroaches somewhere in the room. We made sure all of our bags were tightly closed. In the next day, we had to wash all glasses before we used it...just who knows...the cockroach had already licked it earlier.

So other than the need to improve the hospitality of the receptionist and the cleanness of the room, this hotel is supposed to be a good one, especially if the price is affordable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
GM1Austin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
We appreciate the time our customers take to talk about their experiences at our hotel. We consider customer feed back exceptionally important and ask for it often. In reference to your review, we of course wish it could have been more positive.

At this time of year in Austin, a major movement of crickets, of all shapes and sizes matriculate into buildings. To exterminate these insects would not be practical and I feel this is what may have been experienced. Although troublesome, these crickets are part of the natural environment in Austin. In addition, our customer survey ratings from Holiday Inn are consistently high in the area of cleanliness. We therefore look forward to you giving us another opportunity if you would call me directly at 512-451-5757. I am confident we can meet the mark of both hospitality and cleanliness.

I look forward to your return.

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I was not sure what to expect after reading some reviews. I did not pick this hotel directly but via Priceline. The only reassurance I had before getting there was seeing the attention that the general manager gave to each review. Thank God! My son and I arrived late at night and even the night shift was SUPERB!!! When I requested a double bed Mike found it right away. And when I asked for a microwave and fridge, the gentleman behind him took out his walkie talkie and voula....the request was on it's way to my room! Thank you for such excellent service!! We saw cute signs indicating that there was a remodelation going on. We never noticed any noise or dust. The new decoration is beautiful and I even found a sleep number bed! For some reason it was not as comfortable as mine, that's why the 3 stars. I was so impressed when I saw the pillows labeled for softness. Again, not comfortable for me but that doesn't mean they won't be for you. The touch of humor with the signs was also refreshing. Over the bed was a small sign that read:" I can get no satisfaction"..referring to their service....Right away my son and I started increasing the stars for this hotel. Super impressed with the ease of wifi access and for no additional charge! My son was also able to play his games on the tv and with the wifi without any connection issues. I also used the business center which was very conveniently open 24 hrs. CONGRATULATIONS on a wonderful hotel. The location is great. It is not a bad neighborhood. Part of the Highland Mall is open, it's super convenient for many areas of town and I 35 is close but not so close that the noise would bother you. Don't hesitate to visit this hotel. You'll love it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This hotel is great for the price I got on hotwire. The rooms and surroundings were very clean, staff was helpful. Once you get in, you are not even aware that there is a greyhound nearby, it is not visible unless you walk from the hotel and stand in front of the greyhound. I didn't eat at the Red pepper cafe so I cannot rate the food. Beds were very comfortable and air conditioning was great. Nice location off the freeway and easy to find.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Austin Midtown? Share your experiences!