“Stayed for SXSW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Austin Midtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Austin Midtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6000 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752 (St. Johns)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #61 of 186 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas, United States
“Stayed for SXSW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Awesome experience! Wonderful hotel and staff. Rooms were stylish and clean. Service was on point. Staff had outstanding hospitality and service, especially the front desk. Both clerks ( jennifer and Christina) were great and helpful. I felt Management was on point w/ hospitality and accommodating guests which shined through their staff. Overall stay and experience was fantastic. I'd recommend to friends and family. I plan to return in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Room was nice and contemporary with micro and fridge. Each room has a balcony. Check in was easy and during check out, I had a fraud attempt on my card and the front desk was easily able to change it over to my credit card. with no issues. I am originally from Austin so I'm familiar with the area which is unfortunately starting to run down. The hotel is in the Highland Mall parking lot so the views from the room are not that exciting but at least every room has privacy. There are several restaurants on I-35 which is just a few minutes from the hotel. I thought the bed slept very well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I loved this hotel. The rooms were swanky and nice, and they all had balconies! A nice crowd was here for South by Southwest and the hotel, along with its bar and restaurant, did a good job catering to us all. The surrounding area is also pretty nice and peaceful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Longmont, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Front desk service was okay. The room was okay. When I went to shower, I discovered there was a pool of cold water on the floor adjacent to the shower. The curtain too short and I am sure that was the problem. This should have been fixed long before I got to the room; this was not a new problem. I reported it to the front desk, but they did not seem very interested. Not being a Holiday Inn Express, we had to buy breakfast. It was okay but a longish walk from the hotel foyer to the restaurant where the service was also iffy. I will not be back to try this place again.

Room Tip: Check the shower floor as soon as you check in. You might need to get another room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Longmont_Mitch,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you find our front desk service and rooms okay. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the shower may have caused. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will certainly be looked into. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, we thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel in the area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great stay for around $140 per night incl taxes. Beds are small but room is clean and cool. Easy access to I35 for quick 10 min drive to downtown Austin. Bar closes at 10pm, which was a bummer. Overall, nice place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I will start with the positive - the room decor was up to date and smart; the bed was comfortable.

Unfortunately, there are several negatives about this hotel.

I purchased the hotel through Priceline, using a "blind" request - I did not know what hotel I would receive - I simply submitted a price and hoped for the best. I will have to think twice before doing this again. My "winning" price was $95/night for Friday & Saturday nights in February.

The hotel is in a run-down area adjacent to the abandoned Highland Mall - an area that was nice, 30 years ago. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed shattered glass next to a car. I asked the registration clerk if there had been an automotive break-in - she did not know anything about that. She did tell me that a security guard patrolled the parking lot at night.

My room was on the 6th floor - I immediately noticed a musty smell in the hallway after existing the elevator. This smell was constantly present during my 3-day stay.

While the room decor is smart and up to date, someone failed badly with the bathroom design. The bathroom does not have the usual bathtub with a shower curtain; instead, it has only a shower, which could have been nice if it were well designed. The shower floor has a slight slope toward the drain, but no "lip" to keep the water in the shower. As a consequence, the bathroom floor was flooded every time I bathed. Thank goodness for 3 bath towels - they were necessary to mop up the floor. Also, there is absolutely no shelf or basket in the shower for soap, shampoo, etc. Instead, I had to sit soap and shampoo on the top of the toilet bowl tank and reach out of the shower for them. One other thing: the toilet seat is so old that the finish is wearing off.

The hotel did have an exercise room with two weight machines and a handful of treadmills. One of the weight machines had a "out of order" sign posted.

Here is another major security shortfall. There is a back entrance into the hotel that is not visible to the front desk. ABSOLUTELY ANYONE CAN WALK INTO THE HOTEL! This door is completely unsecured - there is no card reader controlling access through this door. Once inside, any strange has access to the elevators

I checked out of the hotel Sunday morning - typically a busy time. Yet there was only one clerk at the front desk; I was fortunate that there were only two customers ahead of me. Completing their check-out took the clerk about 15 minutes. By the time I completed my check-out, there was a line of 4 customers behind me. Sounds like a hotel operating on the cheap!

I strongly recommend that you stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear texas_forrest,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. Please allow us to apologize for the overall issues you had that fell below your expectations. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class experience to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had a week long training. Check in was very easy, my stay was very relaxing. They had some construction going on at the same time but i had no distrubances. I will be returning to Austin for the second part of my training and will be staying here for a another week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Austin Midtown? Share your experiences!