“Great for Girls Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Austin Midtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Austin Midtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6000 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752 (St. Johns)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #64 of 182 hotels in Austin
Houston
“Great for Girls Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great stay for around $140 per night incl taxes. Beds are small but room is clean and cool. Easy access to I35 for quick 10 min drive to downtown Austin. Bar closes at 10pm, which was a bummer. Overall, nice place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Plano, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I will start with the positive - the room decor was up to date and smart; the bed was comfortable.

Unfortunately, there are several negatives about this hotel.

I purchased the hotel through Priceline, using a "blind" request - I did not know what hotel I would receive - I simply submitted a price and hoped for the best. I will have to think twice before doing this again. My "winning" price was $95/night for Friday & Saturday nights in February.

The hotel is in a run-down area adjacent to the abandoned Highland Mall - an area that was nice, 30 years ago. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed shattered glass next to a car. I asked the registration clerk if there had been an automotive break-in - she did not know anything about that. She did tell me that a security guard patrolled the parking lot at night.

My room was on the 6th floor - I immediately noticed a musty smell in the hallway after existing the elevator. This smell was constantly present during my 3-day stay.

While the room decor is smart and up to date, someone failed badly with the bathroom design. The bathroom does not have the usual bathtub with a shower curtain; instead, it has only a shower, which could have been nice if it were well designed. The shower floor has a slight slope toward the drain, but no "lip" to keep the water in the shower. As a consequence, the bathroom floor was flooded every time I bathed. Thank goodness for 3 bath towels - they were necessary to mop up the floor. Also, there is absolutely no shelf or basket in the shower for soap, shampoo, etc. Instead, I had to sit soap and shampoo on the top of the toilet bowl tank and reach out of the shower for them. One other thing: the toilet seat is so old that the finish is wearing off.

The hotel did have an exercise room with two weight machines and a handful of treadmills. One of the weight machines had a "out of order" sign posted.

Here is another major security shortfall. There is a back entrance into the hotel that is not visible to the front desk. ABSOLUTELY ANYONE CAN WALK INTO THE HOTEL! This door is completely unsecured - there is no card reader controlling access through this door. Once inside, any strange has access to the elevators

I checked out of the hotel Sunday morning - typically a busy time. Yet there was only one clerk at the front desk; I was fortunate that there were only two customers ahead of me. Completing their check-out took the clerk about 15 minutes. By the time I completed my check-out, there was a line of 4 customers behind me. Sounds like a hotel operating on the cheap!

I strongly recommend that you stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear texas_forrest,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. Please allow us to apologize for the overall issues you had that fell below your expectations. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class experience to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had a week long training. Check in was very easy, my stay was very relaxing. They had some construction going on at the same time but i had no distrubances. I will be returning to Austin for the second part of my training and will be staying here for a another week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown in Austin. It is very difficult to find (although I can blame some of that on Google directions). When we arrived Christina was extremely polite and helpful. That is all the nice things I can say about this place. The room smelled like a locker room due to water on the carpet that was still wet from rain earlier in the week. The water either leaked in through the balcony door, or someone opened the balcony door and let the water in. Either way, someone had to know the area was wet, and EVERYONE had to know how bad the room smelled. The bed and pillows were the "firmest" I have ever encountered. I have no idea what they are thinking in putting this in a hotel room, but sleep apparently isn't important. The next morning I tried to call the front desk to get the Wi-Fi password. For some reason it was not included in the arrival package. After 3 calls and no one answering I decided to go to the business center. I tried to print a page and the printer jammed. At this time the front desk agent arrived. She was kind enough to clear the jam. I told her of the problem with the room and she apologized. As we are talking, my wife calls me and tells me the bath tub faucet would not shut off. I went upstairs, and the faucet was barely attached and the stem had broken inside. Maintenance came up to look at it, and informed us he needed to go get some tools. Personally, I might have brought some tools with me when informed of the issue. After an hour, the project was semi-completed. The water still dripped and only the cold water worked. I moved around the faucet and was able to connect to the pipe inside the wall, which allowed the water adjustment to move both to cold and hot. As I was checking out the agent asked for my phone contact as she was going to ask for a manager to call me. I said I wanted to speak with a manager at that point. She said there was not one on duty. Now I am a scheduler by trade, and I believe I would have a manager on duty on Sunday morning, but that may not be their policy. It is almost noon on Monday and I still have not received a phone call or email.

Room Tip: Select another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
robert h, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to let me know of your experience at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown. It appears from you review the property fell short of meeting your expectations during your visit to Austin. I have instructed our general manager Mr. Tom Breen to call you to discuss your stay in greater detail.
I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered during your visit and have discussed your review in detail wih both our housekeeping and maintenance departments.
Guest satisfaction is important to the staff and management of the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown and our promise to continue to strive to deliver 110% guest satsifaction.
Unfortunately, we failed to achieve that benchmark during your stay and want you to know that we are serious our committment to guest satisfaction.
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Breakfast was good. The food at the bar was great. Henry really does his best to make it fun and comfortable. The rooms were nice.
As for the location, if you intend to site-see, you'll need transportation. Not much in walking distance here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed for weekend family gathering with reservations made in advance. Friendly greeting and accommodations made in a timely manner. We also had excellent service provided from two very warm and friendly employees, Rosland and Henry. After inquiring, they also recommended a dinner menu that was excellent. We had a great dining experience, the food was warm, seasoned appropriately and the meats were very fresh. The suites were large, clean, had the best sleeping mattresses and a nice balcony view! Enjoyed our stay and the friendly services provided throughout our weekend. Would recommend and would gladly stay here again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
robert h, Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Lynn from Baltimore

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay. As you mentioned, It is our staff that makes the difference at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown! We are proud of our staff and their dedication to guest service.
Everyone at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown would like to wish you and family a very happy and safe holiday season this year. If the weather in Baltimore gets too bad this winter, your always welcome at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for competition so if you are looking to be site seeing without a car then maybe not the best location. Staff are excellent & so helpful which was great for us as 1st time in Austin.
We went to see the bats from congress bridge which was my highlight of the trip simply amazing & a must if I this city
6 th street bars fantastic time

• Stayed November 2012
robert h, Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Survey. We are delighted that you enjoyed Austin during your visit, and Yes! there is much to see and experipence while in the capital city of Texas.
The Holiday Inn Austin Midtown is centrally located just 2 miles north of downtown. Our location is easily accessable by I-35 and highway 290. Our great location is close to many large businesses, the University of Texas and just 10 minutes to downtown Austin.
We trust you will make the Holiday Inn Austin your preferred hotel when visiting Austin and we look forward to your return to our wonderful city.
Bob Holsten
VP Operations

Been to Holiday Inn Austin Midtown? Share your experiences!