“Worst room ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Austin Midtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Austin Midtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6000 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752 (St. Johns)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #57 of 184 hotels in Austin
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Worst room ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown in Austin. It is very difficult to find (although I can blame some of that on Google directions). When we arrived Christina was extremely polite and helpful. That is all the nice things I can say about this place. The room smelled like a locker room due to water on the carpet that was still wet from rain earlier in the week. The water either leaked in through the balcony door, or someone opened the balcony door and let the water in. Either way, someone had to know the area was wet, and EVERYONE had to know how bad the room smelled. The bed and pillows were the "firmest" I have ever encountered. I have no idea what they are thinking in putting this in a hotel room, but sleep apparently isn't important. The next morning I tried to call the front desk to get the Wi-Fi password. For some reason it was not included in the arrival package. After 3 calls and no one answering I decided to go to the business center. I tried to print a page and the printer jammed. At this time the front desk agent arrived. She was kind enough to clear the jam. I told her of the problem with the room and she apologized. As we are talking, my wife calls me and tells me the bath tub faucet would not shut off. I went upstairs, and the faucet was barely attached and the stem had broken inside. Maintenance came up to look at it, and informed us he needed to go get some tools. Personally, I might have brought some tools with me when informed of the issue. After an hour, the project was semi-completed. The water still dripped and only the cold water worked. I moved around the faucet and was able to connect to the pipe inside the wall, which allowed the water adjustment to move both to cold and hot. As I was checking out the agent asked for my phone contact as she was going to ask for a manager to call me. I said I wanted to speak with a manager at that point. She said there was not one on duty. Now I am a scheduler by trade, and I believe I would have a manager on duty on Sunday morning, but that may not be their policy. It is almost noon on Monday and I still have not received a phone call or email.

Room Tip: Select another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
robert h, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to let me know of your experience at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown. It appears from you review the property fell short of meeting your expectations during your visit to Austin. I have instructed our general manager Mr. Tom Breen to call you to discuss your stay in greater detail.
I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered during your visit and have discussed your review in detail wih both our housekeeping and maintenance departments.
Guest satisfaction is important to the staff and management of the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown and our promise to continue to strive to deliver 110% guest satsifaction.
Unfortunately, we failed to achieve that benchmark during your stay and want you to know that we are serious our committment to guest satisfaction.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Breakfast was good. The food at the bar was great. Henry really does his best to make it fun and comfortable. The rooms were nice.
As for the location, if you intend to site-see, you'll need transportation. Not much in walking distance here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed for weekend family gathering with reservations made in advance. Friendly greeting and accommodations made in a timely manner. We also had excellent service provided from two very warm and friendly employees, Rosland and Henry. After inquiring, they also recommended a dinner menu that was excellent. We had a great dining experience, the food was warm, seasoned appropriately and the meats were very fresh. The suites were large, clean, had the best sleeping mattresses and a nice balcony view! Enjoyed our stay and the friendly services provided throughout our weekend. Would recommend and would gladly stay here again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
robert h, Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Lynn from Baltimore

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay. As you mentioned, It is our staff that makes the difference at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown! We are proud of our staff and their dedication to guest service.
Everyone at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown would like to wish you and family a very happy and safe holiday season this year. If the weather in Baltimore gets too bad this winter, your always welcome at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for competition so if you are looking to be site seeing without a car then maybe not the best location. Staff are excellent & so helpful which was great for us as 1st time in Austin.
We went to see the bats from congress bridge which was my highlight of the trip simply amazing & a must if I this city
6 th street bars fantastic time

• Stayed November 2012
robert h, Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Survey. We are delighted that you enjoyed Austin during your visit, and Yes! there is much to see and experipence while in the capital city of Texas.
The Holiday Inn Austin Midtown is centrally located just 2 miles north of downtown. Our location is easily accessable by I-35 and highway 290. Our great location is close to many large businesses, the University of Texas and just 10 minutes to downtown Austin.
We trust you will make the Holiday Inn Austin your preferred hotel when visiting Austin and we look forward to your return to our wonderful city.
Bob Holsten
VP Operations
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

It seems they are making efforts in the lobby to update this old hotel but the guest rooms still have a long ways to go. The staff could be a little more attentive. I was trying to check in and the person was constantly interrupted by other staff and sure enough my bill was wrong . This place was a little too pricey for what it was.

Thank-you for taking the time to write your review with Trip Advisor. We were dissappointed to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations. The property completed a $4.0 million dollar renovation just last year that included major upgrades to the lobby, guest rooms and public areas.
Our staff is dedicated to providing excellent service and hospitality to our guests and is proud of the new changes.
Your feedback is very important to us, as it is only through comments by our guests can we continue to improve the quality of our service. I trust you will permit us another chance to demonstrate that the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown is the ideal choice when selecting a hotel in Austin. Please call me personally should your plans permit you to return to Austin.
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Needed a hotel for the night and choose this hotel. My dad is a smoker..I hate smoke, the rooms had balconies so it worked out great for both of us. Also had a cappacino at the bar and it was better than Starbucks! Would stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you Nathin for a truly fantastic review. Our staff and employees are dediated to providing the best service and hospitality to our guests. We hope you have found a home in Austin for every visit.
I have passed along your great comments to our managers and staff. It is encouraging to receive such kind and thoughtful reviews.
Hurry back!
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

There are too many other, better hotels to choose from in the Austin area. This one has been renovated in recent years, so the lobby has a more modern look. We were here for 5 nights for a conference. The elevators are small, and none were working one morning so everyone was using the service elevator. The guest room bathrooms could use a lot of help. There were no hooks in the bathroom at all. No soap dish on the bathroom counter, so there was a soapy mess there. I finally folded a washcloth on which to lay the soap. The (very small) coffee maker, cups and supplies were located on the bathroom counter, which (you know if you've read any of my reviews) is a major pet peeve for me. Not only do they take up much-needed bathroom counter space, I cannot understand why any hotel would store these items in the most unsanitary room in the place -- hair, mildew, toothpaste spatters, yuck! Doing so should be a violation of sanitation regulations. We immediately moved it out of the bath, but did not use it during the week. There was no fan or ventilation in the bathroom, so it got hot and fogged up even though I do not take a very hot shower. There was mildew on the grout around the tub. The shower/tub curtain rod was stationary, bowed and too high, making the curtain too short, so that the curtain near the faucet-end of the tub would not stay in the tub and allowed water to run out onto the floor by the toilet. The lighting in the bathroom was not very bright and, in my opinion, made it difficult to see well for putting on makeup, etc. However, I am used to a bright light in our home bathroom, so others may not be as bothered by this. The bedroom itself was very spacious, comfortable and clean, and the king bed was a Sleep-Number bed, also very comfortable and clean. There was also a computer desk in the room and a nice, modern-styled sitting area. The front desk clerks were friendly and helpful, although there was often only one person there and there could be a wait if she was busy. There was a lobby bar and quick-food stand which offered great happy hour discounts. The hotel caters to groups, so there was another huge conference going on during our stay, making parking a little more difficult. Parking is complimentary. The best thing about this hotel, in my opinion, was the restaurant. The food here was fantastic, much better than any other hotel at which I've stayed in the area and as good as any (and better than many) local restaurants. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they offer menu service and a breakfast buffet. Even though the hotel was crowded with guests, their breakfast buffet moved quickly and was well furnished. The wait staff was exceptional. There always seemed to be plenty of seating and no wait for service, regardless of what meal we were having. They also catered some meals for events while we were there, and the Chef did an outstanding job! There is a nice patio area in back of the hotel. Considering the renovations apparently done throughout the rest of the hotel, I was surprised by the lack of attention to detail in the bathrooms. The area surrounding the hotel was not great -- the bus station is across the street, as is a large vacant building on which graffiti was sprayed while we were there. There was an almost-vacant mall behind the hotel, which I heard was being converted to a community college in the near future. There was virtually nothing pleasing to look at in the area surrounding the hotel at this time, but it was easy (although convoluted) access to the freeway. There are tons of hotels in and around Austin. Choose a different one, but get a meal here if you want a good place to go without fighting a crowd.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear sittingonready,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a detailed review. I am glad that you found the food served in our restaurant commendable enough for your stay. I apologize if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the condition of the room accommodation you received, particularly with the bathroom facility. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Austin Midtown? Share your experiences!