“The meat in the food is ground soy !” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,320 of 3,160 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Mexican
austin
“The meat in the food is ground soy !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have eaten at great Mexican food restaurants and I will tell you this it is the worst place I have eaten. My husband and I were very hungry since we hadn't eaten all day it was around After six oclock. .we ask to sit outside and the waitress looked so young and waited forever for a menu she finally came out and got us our drink order.The drinks are very sugary tasting.She mentioned it was owned by Muslim owner who doesn't put real meat in the food becuase of his religion I said really?? shocking ...........I was sad that if this was mexican it was not the real deal I lived in texas all my life and never had food this bad really folks do yourself a favor it can make you sick like my husband was feeling bad hour later if you know what I mean. Sad for us.it took forever to get the check..never again terrible and mean it.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas
“Consistently good TexMex - any location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We live in the Austin area, and Mesa Rosa is one of our favorite restaurants. I almost didn't write this review to keep it a secret. :-)
Everything we have ordered, no matter the location, is yummy. We have ordered: fajitas, enchilada (all kinds) nachos, drinks, combo dinners and a few of their chicken dishes. All were tasty, served hot, and correct (I ask for no tomatoes, different beans than the ones that normally come with dinners, etc.)
I will say that when you compare them with other TexMexs (Serranos, La Margarita, and the ever popular Chuy's), the decor is somewhat lacking. The food more than makes up for it, though!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“New Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Loved the queso!! Really enjoyed the atmosphere, too!! Cheese enchiladas were great! We would eat here over and over again if we had one back home!!

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Garbage”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

My wife and I have given this place several chances because our neighbors liked it, some people have bad taste. The food tastes like can dog or cat food. This is probably the worst Mexican food in or around Austin. Do yourself a favor and stay away. You'll Thank me I promise.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Round Rock, Texas
“Poor service, way overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband and I went to this location the second time - I do not ever plan on going again. The food was pricey. The so-called "happy hour famous ritas" are in tiny-glasses and $3.50 each - which I don't think it is worth the price.

So, my husband and I got there and ordered an appetizer of queso (which was really runny) and not that good tasting and when he opened the napkin, there was so much food on his silverware that the eating utensils were stuck together! Gross! Well, at that time, he didn't need his silverware for queso, so we figured we would inform the waiter once he arrived back at our table. Minutes after recieving the appetizer, we recieved our food - a server (not our waiter) brought our food over and we asked him for a new napkin with silverware in it - he said sure but never came back.

After waiting about 10 minutes for the server or our waiter, I got up and went to the front to have a hostess give me one. As we were eating our fajitas, we kept waiting for our waiter to come by, my water was nearly gone and I was eating spicy food. All of the waiters assigned tables were close to ours, we watched him completely ignore us as he helped other customers. Seriously!! I was floored! His loss because we commonly tip 20%+

To make a long story short, our waiter came to our table, ONCE to take our order and then over an hour later to hand us the check, by that time I was out looking for the manager, Kim. The manager was really nice and courteous and apologized for the horrible service we recieved. We told her that we could tell that our waiter was busy, but only coming to take our order and hand us the check is rude and makes us feel kind of used. Kim offered us dessert, I declined. So, she gave us a card for a free appetizer or dessert on our next visit. A lot of good it is going to do when we never come back!! We tipped the waiter 8% and he is lucky to get that.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Mesa Rosa? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mesa Rosa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.