“Authentic Reminder of Life in Japan” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #672 of 3,154 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Austin, Texas
“Authentic Reminder of Life in Japan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I lived in Japan for 3 years, a very long time ago. Most "Japanese" restaurants require a stretch of the imagination to allow me to recall excellent dining experiences in that country. The Tokyo Sushi Japanese Restaurant in Westlake Hills took me back in time. The food is superior, the tastes sometimes subtle, sometimes assertive, but always delicate. I could not ask for anything better. The sushi and sashimi plates are works of art, and if they were not deliciously fresh and a joy to the palette, they would be suitable for framing and display.
The service was perfect. The wait staff did not hover, but they did check back, twice, and were quick to provide refills, extra katsu sauce, and remove plates.
Ambiance. Yes, Japanese decor, of course. But not in-your-face overbearing samurai and dragons. While it is true that we went at a somewhat off hour, every time we have dined here we are impressed with the absence of noise. Just some gentle Japanese string music in the background. We talked at a normal volume, which for us is quiet. No yelling to be heard. No drunks making fools of themselves. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening at one of the very best and most authentic Japanese restaurants I have found this side of San Francisco, or this side of Honshu for that matter.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas
“Great local place for fresh food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I used to eat here all the time. Lately we have been trying to save some money and eat more at home. We probably haven't eaten here in about four months. However, when we walked in the door on Tuesday night they knew exactly who we were. I used Gluten Free Soy Sauce and they went and got it before I asked for it. The ladies are very friendly. The food is very fresh and always taste wonderful. We have only done sushi. We have never done any of their cooked food. I think the price is spot on for good quality sushi. My one grip used to be their wine selection but even that has improved in the last four months. In strip mall so basic atmosphere but the service and food make up for it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Little slices of tasty goodness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My best girl and I eat here every other month or so... when we want to treat ourselves. We always sit up at the Chef's counter to watch him work. We've tried every roll on the menu, our favorites being the Spider Roll and the Monkey Ball. Generally a quiet atmosphere and the staff always seem to remember me (probably because I'm usually in a kilt).

There's probably better sushi out there to be had, but this ranks right up there with most of the best of them.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Tokyo used to be great, large portions, low prices, and great service. About two years ago, however, the service took...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Tokyo used to be great, large portions, low prices, and great service. About two years ago, however, the service took a nose dive, the sushi quality went downhill and I stopped going. I haven't been back in quite awhile.